Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Verizon Unlocked vs Sim Free Unlocked

I am looking at possibly switching carriers from Straight Talk (Verizon) to Verizon prepaid.

I see that Verizon currently is offering $100 off select smart phones (including the iPhone) if you port a number to them and choose a prepaid plan.

We will actually be buying 2 iPhones, so our savings would be $200.00.

My question is if there's ANY benefit to forgoing the discount and buying the Sim Free Unlocked iPhone directly from Apple.

$200 isn't much of a savings, so I could definitely forgo it if there's a benefit with having the sim free version.

As a side question, I'm curious if there are others who have switched from Straight Talk (Verizon) to Verizon prepaid, and if they noticed any improvement in coverage.

Phone
    iPhone 6
    Carrier
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    are you talking about the iPhone 7? my understanding is Verizon's phone are GSM unlocked out of the box. But if you put another provider's sim in it, it might locked to that provider.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I am talking about the iPhone 7, and from what I understand Verizon's prepaid iPhones (and possibly others) are unlocked as you said.

So I'm comparing Verizon's unlocked to a Sim Free Unlocked. I'm not sure if there are any differences or not. If I bought either and a carriers sim locked me to them, I would be extremely ticked, especially for the sim free unlocked version.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Whether you buy it from Verizon or from Apple (SIM Free Unlocked) when you put a SIM into the iPhone from another carrier, it will be locked to that carrier.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Feedback Score
    So I pay full price for a phone and then whoever I first choose to use service with I'm stuck with them? That doesn't seem right. I should be able to switch from one carrier to the next every month if I wanted to. Why would they lock my phone when I didn't even buy it from them? I owe no carrier any loyalty, especially when I have paid full price for the phone!

In other countries you can switch easily by just putting in a different carriers sim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    Whether you buy it from Verizon or from Apple (SIM Free Unlocked) when you put a SIM into the iPhone from another carrier, it will be locked to that carrier.
    This must be a new policy. Up till now, the Verizon phone was unlocked, and stayed unlocked, at least with GSM carriers.

Unless you are confusing the flex policy of Best Buy, where if you put in a non verizon sim first, it will lock to the policy of the sim.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Phone
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by c_l_phillips72 View Post
    My question is if there's ANY benefit to forgoing the discount and buying the Sim Free Unlocked iPhone directly from Apple.

$200 isn't much of a savings, so I could definitely forgo it if there's a benefit with having the sim free version.
    Buying phones from Verizon prepaid will result in a phone that is locked to Verizon prepaid for up to a year. It depends on the phone, I believe. If, after a month, you decided you wanted to go postpaid the phones wouldn't work, as well as with MVNOs.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    An iPhone bought SIM-Free directly from Apple is unlocked, and will remain unlocked, no matter what carrier's SIM you put in it.

Phone
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    This is false!
    Make cheap national and int'l telephone calls with a calling card! Click here!

Phone
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    An iPhone bought SIM-Free directly from Apple is unlocked, and will remain unlocked, no matter what carrier's SIM you put in it.
    Indeed. This is correct.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If I was incorrect about buying from Verizon directly, my apology. I do believe that buying the SIM Free model will lock the device to the carrier you insert the SIM from.

Phone
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Verizon Unlocked vs Sim Free Unlocked

If I was incorrect about buying from Verizon directly, my apology. I do believe that buying the SIM Free model will lock the device to the carrier you insert the SIM from.
    No. I have a SIM free iPhone 6s bought directly from apple. It has had SIMs in it from Verizon, cricket, T-mobile over the last year or so, hence I know it isn't locked to a carrier.

Feedback Score
    False. The whole point of sim free is to do what you want with the phone and carrier. Postpaid vzw iPhones are also unlocked for life.

Feedback Score
    Any unlocked phone purchased full price from Apple will remain unlocked forever. I am currently using an Apple Sprint 7+ primarily on T-Mobile, but it has been on Sprint, AT&T & Verizon without any issues. I'm currently roaming with it in Europe on a variety of carriers like Vodaphone, Deutche Telecom, etc.

The Best Buy iPhones reportedly lock to the first sim carrier under some circumstances it is said.

Feedback Score
    Only the Best Buy iPhones lock to the carrier of the first SIM installed into the phone. So if you want a Best Buy iPhone to be unlocked for life, put a Verizon POSTPAID SIM (active or not) into the phone and go through the activation process on wifi. Once complete and you get to the home screen. Shut the phone off and remove the Verizon SIM. The phone is now unlocked for life.
    Best Buy did this for me on an iPhone 6s I bought from them recently. Have used the phone on Cricket and T-Mobile.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast