Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Scenario for transferring gUDP features - will this work?

Feedback Score

Scenario for transferring gUDP features - will this work?

Hi there,

I'm strongly thinking about jumping on Comcast's $45/unlimited offer. I have a grandfathered gUDP account that is too good to get rid of - I'd like to let someone use it who needs it, having them pay the bill. I'm not looking to make money off of it, but I'd still like to have joint control of the account. Here's what I'm thinking of doing -

- Adding another authorized person to the account
    - Have the person transfer their line into the account
    - Porting all of the features of my gUDP line ($30 tethering add on/450min/1000 txt - bill comes to $113/month with 21% discount) onto this other person's line
    - My line is then dropped to a dumb phone, then the # is ported out to Comcast

I'd still retain the login/password to the account. I'd like to give someone the opportunity to use this for 2 years, provided they use under 100GB a month and aren't breaking Verizon's ToS. After two years, we'd re-evaluate the agreement. And they'd be responsible for paying the $113/month.

Has anyone tried something like this before? Obviously this involves a bit of trust so I'd like to speak to the person a bit over the phone, ask them why they're interested in this, have them link to a social media profile or something that demonstrates they're a normal person.

btw - if you're interested in this arrangement, PM me.

Feedback Score
    Do you understand that comcast's unlimited plan is only 20GB and then throttled to 1.5Mbps?
    Your current plan has no such limits and if under contract doesn't even have the 100GB hard cap.

IIUC you can transfer features from a line your getting rid of with something called a line reduction or via the google voice trick.
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...lving-UDP-line
    The GV trick seems to be the current recommended method due to the difficulty of finding a rep that knows how to do it.

If you do end up trying to port the number it's recommended it be on the $15/30 loyalty plan as those are easier to port without dropping UDP for some reason. Note that changing to that plan will put you back in contract for a year.

This sounds like some type of modified rental.
    Imho you should just go ahead and sell the line since you are already pretty much there you're asking someone to port in their number to your account which you could then later decide to keep.
    And since there will be only only one line on the account they will automatically be made the primary account holder from there they can takeover the account online.

Feedback Score
    thanks, that is useful info.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by karpodiem View Post
    - Porting all of the features of my gUDP line ($30 tethering add on/450min/1000 txt - bill comes to $113/month with 21% discount) onto this other person's line
    There is no way to do that. However, you can do the Google Voice trick to keep your number and the other person can port their phone number into your gUDP line once the port to GV has completed.

Feedback Score
    btw - if you're interested in this arrangement, PM me.
    I reported your post. You need to put this on the Take Over my Plan forum, not here.

Feedback Score
    but I'd still like to have joint control of the account. Here's what I'm thinking of doing -

- My line is then dropped to a dumb phone, then the # is ported out to Comcast
    Do the GV trick if you want to take your number to Comcast but keep gUDP.

I'd still retain the login/password to the account. I'd like to give someone the opportunity to use this for 2 years, provided they use under 100GB a month and aren't breaking Verizon's ToS. After two years, we'd re-evaluate the agreement. And they'd be responsible for paying the $113/month.
    People are giving away gUDP plans for free on www.reddit.com/r/verizondup. They would have to be a complete and utter idiot to agree to this. They would be giving up their privacy and control of their phone number to you.

Anyhow, you can't post deals like this on this forum. Take it to the Take Over My Plan forum.

And anyone who wants a gUDP line can get one for free on the VerizonUDP subreddit. You don't need to do something like this.
    Last edited by VerizonNoMore; 05-18-2017 at 04:18 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    IIUC you can transfer features from a line your getting rid of with something called a line reduction or via the google voice trick.
    The simplest thing to do is do the GV trick then once the port out to GV completes, port another number into the gUDP line.

If you do end up trying to port the number it's recommended it be on the $15/30 loyalty plan as those are easier to port without dropping UDP for some reason.
    You mean AOL, not port. You AOL a line, you port a phone number.

Imho you should just go ahead and sell the line since you are already pretty much there you're asking someone to port in their number to your account which you could then later decide to keep.
    You can get these lines for free on the VerizonUDP subreddit.

And since there will be only only one line on the account they will automatically be made the primary account holder from there they can takeover the account online.
    OP wants to retain control of the account. Only a moron would agree to what OP wants to do when you get get free gUDP lines on the VerizonUDP subreddit.

Feedback Score
    And they'd be responsible for paying the $113/month.
    No, you would be responsible for paying the fee since the line was in your name. And at any time, you could cut off the other person's access to their phone number. Like I said, only a moron would agree to that. If they didn't care about their phone number then it would be slightly better, but they would of course be giving up their privacy to you.

And if they aren't an account manager with the Account PIN, then they would have no ability to access Verizon customer service. If they were an account manager with the Account PIN, they could do anything they want to your account, including release it to themselves to AOL.

Feedback Score
    I'd still like to have joint control of the account.
    As long as the account is in your name and there are no account managers, you have total control of the account. Your renter would have no access at all to the account or to Verizon customer service if they had any problems. Which is of course why someone would have to be stupid to agree to what you want to do.

Feedback Score
    This sounds like some type of modified rental.
    It's not a modified rental at all, it is in fact a rental and shouldn't be posted here since OP is soliciting for PMs. But it is the worst kind of rental because the renter would be giving up control of their phone number.

OP says they aren't trying to make money off of this but at any time, they could change the rate they are charging and the renter would have to pay up or be at OP's mercy when it comes to their phone number since they gave up control of it to OP. Dumb.

OP needs to:

1) Move his gUDP line to the $15/mo 30 min Loyalty plan to get it back under contract;

2) Do the GV trick to port his number to GV then to Comcast; and

3) Suspend his gUDP line for up to 90 days with reduced billing and try out Comcast's service. If he doesn't like it, he can port his number back into his gUDP line and change the plan back to a Nationwide plan with minutes/texts. If he does like Comcast, he can sell/give away or rent his gUDP line out. It will be under contract since he moved to the Loyalty plan, which is actually a good thing since you can use more data if you are under contract.

Feedback Score
    Yes I meant AOL not port. Sorry about that.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Some of the lines being offered for free are actually of people whose accounts are being closed and have received notices from Verizon. One of my lines buyer bought and got his line from someone offering free and he got from there before buying mine and he got terminated and got account go through fraud dept. So be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    One of my lines buyer bought and got his line from someone offering free
    How could they both buy a line and get it for free?

Quote Originally Posted by pfwarrior View Post
    and he got from there before buying mine and he got terminated and got account go through fraud dept.
    I am not following you. So someone accepted a free line and then the person they received it from was terminated by Verizon and Verizon went after the person who accepted the line for free?

Device(s)
    S8+
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VerizonNoMore View Post
    I reported your post. You need to put this on the Take Over my Plan forum, not here.
    Dude, chill. You JUST signed up here this month and have 26 posts. He didn't make this post to try and sell his plan, he's asking a question and just made a little comment.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff5093 View Post
    He didn't make this post to try and sell his plan
    He can ask his question without soliciting PMs for his line rental. And that is what this is - a line rental. It is a terrible deal.

I reported his post - he can move it to Take Over My Plan if he wants to rent out his line.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast