Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Comcast Opens Enrollment For Its Mobile Plans With $45 Unlimited Offer

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...nlimited-offer

Just a month after officially unveiling its Xfinity Mobile service, Comcast this week opened enrollment for its Xfinity Internet customers.

The debut data options include an unlimited option as well as a per-gigabyte plan. Through the end of July, Comcast is offering the unlimited plan for $45 – that includes unlimited talk text and data, though speeds will be capped at 1.5 Mbps for downloads and 750 Kbps for uploads after 20 GB of usage in a billing cycle. While the plan’s monthly cost will jump to a rate of $65 per month once the promotional period ends, customers who sign up for the $45 rate will get to keep it for two years as long as they maintain the account in good standing and keep their Xfinity Internet subscription.

For those seeking a bit less than unlimited data, Comcast is offering data “By the Gig” at a rate of $12 per GB. This data is sharable across all lines on a customer’s account, and customers will be able to keep tabs on their data usage via the Xfinity Mobile app. The app can also send usage notifications to customers to help them stay on budget, Comcast indicated.

While customers must have an Xfinity Internet account to sign up for the wireless service, those who want to cancel their Comcast internet service down the line will have the option to keep the wireless service – albeit with a few extra fees. Both the “By the Gig” and unlimited customers would have a $10 per line per month access fee added to their accounts. But even the higher cost of unlimited on Xfinity Mobile would figure out to be cheaper than the $80 per month unlimited plan offered by Verizon – the carrier offering backup LTE coverage for Xfinity Mobile’s hybrid WiFi/cellular service.

Those who do decide to take up the Xfinity Mobile offer will have to pick up a new phone. Comcast hasn’t established a bring your own device (BYOD) option, and is instead offering a lineup of newer flagship smartphones, including Samsung’s Galaxy S7 and S8 and Apple’s iPhone 6s, 7, and SE.

The consumer launch of Comcast’s mobile service comes just about a week after Comcast and Charter announced the formation of a wireless partnership in which the companies agreed to work “only together with respect to national mobile network operators, through potential commercial arrangements, including MVNOs and other material transactions in the wireless industry, for a period of one year.”

The pair said the deal will help the companies capitalize on “operational efficiencies” by working together on common operating platforms, technical standards development and harmonization, device logistics, and emerging wireless technologies.

Execs at Verizon, which is providing MVNO network services for both companies, said they welcomed the deal.

“They had the right to work together as an MVNO and frankly we encouraged them to work together because dealing with one customer is a lot better than dealing with multiple customers,” Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam commented at an investor conference.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Moto G4, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    MVNO until they start getting aggressive with their metro WiFi plans.

Feedback Score
    Xfinity Mobile working off of Verizon and Xfinity Hotspots: I am a Xfinity internet customer. As I understand the program: If I buy one of their phones, I will receive FREE voice & FREE text service along with 99MB of FREE data each month. As an option, for $12, I can purchase 1 GB data. They do not have a BYOP option. While their top-end phones are in the $600 range, they currently offer a LG with 16GB, 7.0 Android, 5.5 display screen for a one-time charge of $4 (includes taxes/fees/shipping). For a one-time $4.00 USD charge, and no monthly charges if I don't use much data, why not buy this LG phone and dump my Tracfone? I'm interested in your comments.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneL56 View Post
    Xfinity Mobile working off of Verizon and Xfinity Hotspots: I am a Xfinity internet customer. As I understand the program: If I buy one of their phones, I will receive FREE voice & FREE text service along with 99MB of FREE data each month. As an option, for $12, I can purchase 1 GB data. They do not have a BYOP option. While their top-end phones are in the $600 range, they currently offer a LG with 16GB, 7.0 Android, 5.5 display screen for a one-time charge of $4 (includes taxes/fees/shipping). For a one-time $4.00 USD charge, and no monthly charges if I don't use much data, why not buy this LG phone and dump my Tracfone? I'm interested in your comments.
    I ordered 2 LG phones(1 for me and 1 for my wife) on Monday and they should be arriving on Wednesday. I chose the $12 a gig plan. I will keep you posted on how things go.

Device(s)
    1+1, 1+3, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceBK View Post
    I ordered 2 LG phones(1 for me and 1 for my wife) on Monday and they should be arriving on Wednesday. I chose the $12 a gig plan. I will keep you posted on how things go.
    Have the phones arrived? How did the activation process go?

I just ordered 3 of the $1 phones. 1 line will be on the unlimited plan. 2 other lines will be on the BUY the GB plan. 2 lines will port in numbers. 1 line will activate with new number. Phone is on back order. Estimated time to ship is 9-15-17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoV3-Slut View Post
    Have the phones arrived? How did the activation process go?

I just ordered 3 of the $1 phones. 1 line will be on the unlimited plan. 2 other lines will be on the BUY the GB plan. 2 lines will port in numbers. 1 line will activate with new number. Phone is on back order. Estimated time to ship is 9-15-17.
    I activated online for one LG phone with a new number. Very simple & activation of the # was instantaneous. I have two other $1 LG phones which I eventually intend to port #s. I would be interested to hear how quickly the port process goes. For those who want to restrict data usage, on the LG it is a simple "turn off data" setting. You can also set customized data usage alerts on the LG. I have trouble with signal strength via the proxy Verizon provider. I did contact Xfinity a week ago regarding the problem. They said I would be hearing back from one of their engineers in the near future. If I don't hear back by next week, I'll rattle their cage again.

Feedback Score
    I received my LG phones today. Two criticisms so far: Like many of my friends while visiting my house who have Verizon, the Verizon signal gives me only one bar from inside the house no matter what part of the house I am in. Same problem from outside on my front/back porches. Somehow (magic?) I was hoping the integration of the Xfinity Wi-Fi router and Verizon would give me a better signal. Nope. I'll contact Xfinity and complain. Also, the keyboard does NOT have a Voice-to-Text option. Darn it.

Device(s)
    S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I received my LG phones today. Two criticisms so far: Like many of my friends while visiting my house who have Verizon, the Verizon signal gives me only one bar from inside the house no matter what part of the house I am in. Same problem from outside on my front/back porches. Somehow (magic?) I was hoping the integration of the Xfinity Wi-Fi router and Verizon would give me a better signal. Nope. I'll contact Xfinity and complain. Also, the keyboard does NOT have a Voice-to-Text option. Darn it.
    It gets the same service as Verizon. I'm not sure why you expected it to be different when you knew it ran on Verizon's network. All it does from the WiFi front is encourage you to use xfinitywifi networks when available by auto connecting, it doesn't do anything else special that any other phone can't do.

For the voice to text, just download a different keyboard.

Device(s)
    1+1, 1+3, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    GeneL56, like geoff5093 says, there is no magic interweaving wifi with cell signal to offer better signal strength. It will be exactly the same signal that Verizon provides -- no better, no worse. Sorry if you expected something magical.

I activated online for one LG phone with a new number. Very simple & activation of the # was instantaneous. I have two other $1 LG phones which I eventually intend to port #s. I would be interested to hear how quickly the port process goes. For those who want to restrict data usage, on the LG it is a simple "turn off data" setting. You can also set customized data usage alerts on the LG. I have trouble with signal strength via the proxy Verizon provider. I did contact Xfinity a week ago regarding the problem. They said I would be hearing back from one of their engineers in the near future. If I don't hear back by next week, I'll rattle their cage again.
    GeneL56, how long are you going to wait before you port over? Does XM allow you to just wait indefinitely without charging you monthly taxes/fees for each line you purchased? I'm curious myself.

I ordered 3 X Charge phones yesterday. But they're on backorder. I need to activate and port over a number for 1 of those 3 phones immediately when I receive shipment. For the other two, I don't need to immediately activate. In fact, it's probably better that I don't active them until December 1st if possible -- it would be ideal if I don't have to pay fees/taxes for those two lines during OCT and NOV while they're not activated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure of the details of the deal Comcast cut with Verizon but it wold be interesting if they could set up other MVNO deals to set up something like Project Fi, where they could select the best (most cost effective) carrier in any situation.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    I see another poster has reported that Xfinity Mobile is now having a phone sale, and the cheapest phone is $1!
    Last edited by mframe; 08-28-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Feedback Score
    To the Moderator/Adminstrator for this forum: is it possible to open a dedicated "Xfinity Mobile" category under "US Carrier Discussion"?

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    To the Moderator/Adminstrator for this forum: is it possible to open a dedicated "Xfinity Mobile" category under "US Carrier Discussion"?
    It might be more appropriate in the US MVNO hierarchy.

Feedback Score
    Geoff5093: Thanks for the info on downloading a different keyboard to get the voice-to-text feature. Did so and works fine.
    MotoVE-Slut: As I understand it,with the "by the gig" plan, XM does not levy a charge UNLESS one uses over 99MB during their respective monthly billing cycle; cumulative total for all active lines. Therefor, I think you can wait as long as you want to activate/port. When I check my online XM account, it merely shows 2 phones inactive and one phone active.

Device(s)
    1+1, 1+3, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    MotoVE-Slut: As I understand it,with the "by the gig" plan, XM does not levy a charge UNLESS one uses over 99MB during their respective monthly billing cycle; cumulative total for all active lines. Therefor, I think you can wait as long as you want to activate/port. When I check my online XM account, it merely shows 2 phones inactive and one phone active.
    GeneL56, Yes, it's my understanding as well, however, there is still tax/fees levied on active lines -- even if you use 0MB. I'm curious how long you can keep your two inactive lines inactive. Please provide an update here if anything happens to your two inactive lines -- that wasn't of your own doing of course.

Incidentally, when do you think you'll activate (port over) your own numbers to your two inactive lines?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast