Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using GoPhone iPhone on postpaid line

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Using GoPhone iPhone on postpaid line

Best Buy is currently selling a GoPhone iPhone SE for $200. I want to buy one for a family member to use on a postpaid line. Will the family member have any problems using their postpaid SIM in the GoPhone?

I know that, historically, the answer to this is clearly NO, but I also have read that AT&T is cracking down somewhat on misusing GoPhones (e.g. blocking the non-customer device unlock loophole)... So I am wondering if anyone has RECENT experience with using postpaid SIM cards in GoPhones.

The family member is not tech-savvy at all, so I want to minimize my fear that her phone will suddenly stop working because AT&To decided to block postpaid users from using (subsidized) GoPhones on their accounts. Please let me know that my fears are unfounded--unless I should be fearful!

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    Best Buy is currently selling a GoPhone iPhone SE for $200. I want to buy one for a family member to use on a postpaid line. Will the family member have any problems using their postpaid SIM in the GoPhone?

I know that, historically, the answer to this is clearly NO, but I also have read that AT&T is cracking down somewhat on misusing GoPhones (e.g. blocking the non-customer device unlock loophole)... So I am wondering if anyone has RECENT experience with using postpaid SIM cards in GoPhones.

The family member is not tech-savvy at all, so I want to minimize my fear that her phone will suddenly stop working because AT&To decided to block postpaid users from using (subsidized) GoPhones on their accounts. Please let me know that my fears are unfounded--unless I should be fearful!

Thanks in advance.

They can block subsidised phones from being unlocked at random times, but you don't have to have it unlocked if using it on Go phone or AT&T. Not sure if something with the iPhone will block it. But any go phone android will work perfectly fine on PostPaid accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I thought the phone had to be active on prepaid for a minimum of 30 days before it could be used on post paid service.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Device(s)
    Samsung GS7, Nokia 6350
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    I thought the phone had to be active on prepaid for a minimum of 30 days before it could be used on post paid service.
    I think this is the case with Verizon prepaid phones, but not AT&T. Unless you are referring to a recent policy change.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Using GoPhone iPhone on postpaid line

Quote Originally Posted by veriztd View Post
    That's not the case with AT&T. That's Verizon's policy though and normally that's 6 months

Feedback Score
    I have used GoPhones with postpaid AT&T without the phone being unlocked.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I only buy gophone for my son. He has gone through a couple. I just guy them at Walmart when they have some kind clearance sale. I have never had an issue using a gophone in postpaid service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mmoose View Post
    I think this is the case with Verizon prepaid phones, but not AT&T. Unless you are referring to a recent policy change.
    I am no longer associated with At&t and haven't used them since 2007. I am not aware of a policy change, thought it was always like that. Oh Well !!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S Plus
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    My understanding is iPhones sold by Best Buy are carrier unlocked until activated then they become locked. I wonder if this is the same for this iPhone or has AT&T locked them before sending them to Best Buy. I'd be tempted to buy one and install my T-Mobile sim in it before activating to see if it was truly unlocked I just need to be sure Best Buy would take it back if it wasn't.

Carrier(s)
    ATT, TMO, VZ
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bolthead View Post
    My understanding is iPhones sold by Best Buy are carrier unlocked until activated then they become locked. I wonder if this is the same for this iPhone or has AT&T locked them before sending them to Best Buy. I'd be tempted to buy one and install my T-Mobile sim in it before activating to see if it was truly unlocked I just need to be sure Best Buy would take it back if it wasn't.
    Just remember you are buying a prepaid GoPhone - it is locked to ATT GoPhone out of the box. You are more than welcome to try and let us know but the GoPhones are locked. Both ATT and Verizon lock their prepaid phones as they are somewhat subsidized. It has been reported in the posts above that you may have good luck with using it on ATT postpaid which is not the case on VZ.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ones sent out by ATT are known to be ATT, so Apple's servers know the policy and have already locked them. I tested last week with a Cricket SE. First SIM I put in was a Verizon SIM. When powered up, it had LTE until it connected to servers during activation, then it was locked.

Verizon prepaid/postpaid is more like Cricket/ATT. When locked to the prepaid, it won't work on the postpaid. GoPhone seems to be a gray case. You just can't unlock it for international use/domestic competitors until you meet their requirements.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    Cricket/ATT is different than GoPhone/ATT because Cricket is operated as an MVNO. GoPhone is not operated as an MVNO. Cricket phones are locked to Cricket. I have used GoPhones on ATT postpaid without unlocking the GoPhone.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    Cricket/ATT is different than GoPhone/ATT because Cricket is operated as an MVNO. GoPhone is not operated as an MVNO. Cricket phones are locked to Cricket. I have used GoPhones on ATT postpaid without unlocking the GoPhone.
    Just to clarify, Cricket and AT&T phone's are not able to be sim swapped unless they are unlocked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPad
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    Just to clarify, Cricket and AT&T phone's are not able to be sim swapped unless they are unlocked?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app
    No. I had a Moto G locked to AT&T. Gave it to my sister and her Cricket sim worked fine in it.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Copa360 View Post
    No. I had a Moto G locked to AT&T. Gave it to my sister and her Cricket sim worked fine in it.
    Att devices will work fine on Cricket without unlock. But not the other way around. A cricket phone will have to be unlocked to work on AT&T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast