Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VZW Roaming agreement already expired?

Feedback Score
    It was probably a lot easier to have reasonable roaming partners like that when all anyone could do was make a voice call. I can see what you're saying about raw coverage and maybe some could argue that even recently when Sprint roamed on Verizon pretty much nationwide. But when I had Sprint, I did notice that even when it would roam, if you were on the phone when you went from Sprint to a roaming partner, it would drop the call. And then the phone would keep trying to get a weak Sprint signal so it would continuously drop the call each time it switched towers. Seems like there should be technology in place to address that for people that use their phones a lot for calls.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseguy321 View Post
    I find it ironic that Sprint is slowly becoming an MNVO. Having to use AT&T and Verizon coverage to fill in their gaps...
    Sprint is not a MVNO. MVNO don't have 100 MB of data. Roaming has nothing to do with Roaming.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    It was probably a lot easier to have reasonable roaming partners like that when all anyone could do was make a voice call. I can see what you're saying about raw coverage and maybe some could argue that even recently when Sprint roamed on Verizon pretty much nationwide. But when I had Sprint, I did notice that even when it would roam, if you were on the phone when you went from Sprint to a roaming partner, it would drop the call. And then the phone would keep trying to get a weak Sprint signal so it would continuously drop the call each time it switched towers. Seems like there should be technology in place to address that for people that use their phones a lot for calls.
    Yeah Sprint doesn't roam Nationwide. I when to Florida month ago and, drove and, I never lost Native Signal.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dalbrich View Post
    It's interesting to me having been on Sprint for more than 10 years that folks don't know Sprint was one of the first to have generous nationwide roaming. And I mean Sprint roamed on Everyone. In many places they'd roam (analog) on both ATT and Verizon (or Airtouch in my market). They called it Free and Clear America and it was a $5/mo option on some plans. It was totally awesome.

Also back in those days, Sprint phones would manually let you select roaming. Yep you could go in the menus and simply force roaming if Sprint signal didn't suit you. And yes, this included in-market roaming. Where I live, it meant I could force Verizon roaming any time I wanted.

I realize now-a-days that sounds bizarre with all the cost cutting measures RE roaming, but there was a time when Sprint was the place to be if you wanted the best coverage period.

-Dan
    Having been with Sprint for 16 years I know exactly what you mean... I remember the day Free & Clear America for $5 came out - - because I called the first day and got it added. It took 3 times for someone to know what it was, but I haven't paid per-minute for domestic roaming since. That was in 2005 IIRC.

As for Sprint's many roaming agreements, I think they are still in force - - the difference is that the phones no longer allow you to force roaming only, and over the years have allowed more complex tweaks for how roaming is authorized. One of the big changes is that Sprint can now change the priority for voice and data roaming - - which is probably what you are noticing. I have found my phone will find 3G Verizon roaming with decent bars - - but have useless data - - I go into engineering and find its on the Verizon voice channel, but the data is still scanning... It almost takes an act of God to get it to camp on Verizon EV-DO roaming - - usually 30+ miles from the nearest Sprint tower - - but it does do it... Provided there is NO Sprint service from anywhere... Even a useless whiff for a half second from some tower that would never hold a connection. It seems like the PRLs now jump to voice roaming easier where before you had to have completely useless Sprint signal for a good bit before it would... Now you can voice roam, but getting the data connection requires even less of a native signal then it did to get it to jump to voice and data roaming before...

It's very clear that Verizon's data roaming is at the bottom of the barrel. USCC has LTE roaming here... When in a USCC area the phone now reliably jumps between Sprint LTE and USCC LTE on Band 5... Until the last PRL USCC was only marginally better to catch data roaming from than Verizon - - but now at least in USCC areas it works better than it ever has.

As far as AT&T, back in the analog days they were above USCC for roaming in my home county until tri-band phones came out then USCC digital became the priority and AT&T went away when analog shut down... Who knows if there is still some ancient agreement they have been able to pull from in some areas now... I know AT&T is technically different from years back, but I do know their roaming agreement went away because of technology... Who knows how friendly it was and if they were able to make nice now that technology has caught up...

The fact that people report that Sprint is roaming on AT&T blows me away... T-Mobile constantly complains about how expensive they are, and Verizon and Sprint have always had a national wide roaming agreement, including in-market areas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Yeah Sprint doesn't roam Nationwide. I when to Florida month ago and, drove and, I never lost Native Signal.

I wasn't saying they don't have a native signal- I was talking about the nationwide roaming agreement they had with Verizon. It is impressive though that you drive to Florida and didn't lose your sprint signal. Where were you coming from? Florida?
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    When I had Sprint, I couldn't drive 10 miles in ANY direction without losing native signal. Must be nice to have solid coverage with Sprint, especially given how inexpensive their plans are.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score
    It's interesting to me having been on Sprint for more than 10 years that folks don't know Sprint was one of the first to have generous nationwide roaming. And I mean Sprint roamed on Everyone. In many places they'd roam (analog) on both ATT and Verizon (or Airtouch in my market). They called it Free and Clear America and it was a $5/mo option on some plans. It was totally awesome.

Also back in those days, Sprint phones would manually let you select roaming. Yep you could go in the menus and simply force roaming if Sprint signal didn't suit you. And yes, this included in-market roaming. Where I live, it meant I could force Verizon roaming any time I wanted.

I realize now-a-days that sounds bizarre with all the cost cutting measures RE roaming, but there was a time when Sprint was the place to be if you wanted the best coverage period.

-Dan
    I, too, remember those days, and this option. You are correct. There was a time, where if you wanted THE BEST ****ING COVERAGE PERIOD, you wanted Sprint.

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

Roaming...

Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    Having been with Sprint for 16 years I know exactly what you mean...
    Agree with you on all points. The one sad thing for me is that I must roam almost always within an area where some weak (unusable) Sprint native signal exists. In my travels, this policy change has effectively made data roaming in-op, even where voice and SMS text work fine. I've been to places where I don't believe Sprint native exists, yet still no data-- so it must be catching whiff of weak Sprint signal somewhere.

After strong and repeated attempts I have gotten Verizon data roaming to work, and if so, maybe long enough to run a speed test. While I do see EVDO roaming now (which used to be 1x), when it works at all, I see a max of 150Kbps, which doesn't stay connected.

I consider T-Mobile a total non-option due to their restrictive roaming practices, Sprint still passes the test of being minimally acceptable.
    i.e. T-Mobiles LAC lockout for "in-market" roaming in NW Oregon means a T-Mobile device often shows "ATT" but cannot be used for any purpose including voice. All in places a Sprint phone roams on Verizon for voice/text without issue.

-Dan
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    .....I consider T-Mobile a total non-option due to their restrictive roaming practices, Sprint still passes the test of being minimally acceptable. i.e. T-Mobiles LAC lockout for "in-market" roaming in NW Oregon means a T-Mobile device often shows "ATT" but cannot be used for any purpose including voice. All in places a Sprint phone roams on Verizon for voice/text without issue. ....
    For what it may be worth, my solution to this problem is to keep a PagePlus PAYG as a backup. I know this may not work for everyone. I seldom go to places where my T-Mobile phone phone doesn't work. On the occasions when I do, I have no issues with carrying two phones and using Conditional Call Forwarding to forward incoming calls. My phone is also not mission critical. It's normally no big deal if I miss a call. I just need to be able to call AAA if I break down. I understand that this won't work for many, so I'm just throwing it out there as a suggestion.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Your point is well taken (RE: PAYG backup phone). Although I'd add, that not everyone needs unlimited data. At $70/mo. I don't find T-Mobile to be a bargain (even assuming they had a compelling feature for me, which in my case, they do not).

-Dan

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Your point is well taken (RE: PAYG backup phone). Although I'd add, that not everyone needs unlimited data. At $70/mo. I don't find T-Mobile to be a bargain (even assuming they had a compelling feature for me, which in my case, they do not)....
    I could not agree with you more. I think that T-Mobile-ONE is a terrible (anti-consumer) idea. It's only because I have a killer grandfathered rate plan that I stay with them. My wife's on Project Fi. Her total bill normally runs between $27 and $35/month because the lion's share of her data usage is on WiFi.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    I could not agree with you more. I think that T-Mobile-ONE is a terrible (anti-consumer) idea. It's only because I have a killer grandfathered rate plan that I stay with them. My wife's on Project Fi. Her total bill normally runs between $27 and $35/month because the lion's share of her data usage is on WiFi.
    I agree. I was just thinking today how expensive my T-Mobile line is. Both Verizon and att are cheaper for one line. With Verizon I could get 5gb (which I had) for $55 plus discount. With T-Mobile the best of could do is $60 for 2gb low usage or $70 for unlimited. I'm typically a low data user so testing out tmobile is expensive. That doesn't factor in the phone payment if I wanted a decent band 12 phone. I like the network improvements and a phone to utilize it would be ideal.

T-Mobile is the opposite for me now. Used to like the prices and not the coverage. Now I like the coverage and not the prices

I really like what tmobile stands for so maybe they will tweak some things

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Last edited by wilbur101; 05-30-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    I'd like to see them do more with Kickback to make the ONE plan more attractive for single line users. 2GB is really low. If you're going to use that little, it should be a $25 discount. And maybe a $10 discount if you're under 5GB.

With 3 ONE lines for $100, tax included, I can't complain much. But if I was paying $70 for one line, I'd probably look elsewhere.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    I'd like to see them do more with Kickback to make the ONE plan more attractive for single line users. 2GB is really low. If you're going to use that little, it should be a $25 discount. And maybe a $10 discount if you're under 5GB.

With 3 ONE lines for $100, tax included, I can't complain much. But if I was paying $70 for one line, I'd probably look elsewhere.
    I like the coverage but yeah for one line 70 is steep and especially if I added a phone payment. If I start using more data $70 wouldn't be as bad

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

-Dan
    Yep I remember I went out and bought a Qualcomm QCP-2760 in Oct 1999 when I heard about the new force roam option on that phone. Previously they didn't sell dual band handsets here in So. Cal because they didn't yet have any in market roaming agreements here. Until they finally signed one with Airtouch/Verizon in late 1999, two years after they launched service here. But at that time you were still charged extra for roaming.

Sent from my LGLS991 using HoFo mobile app
    Sprint user since 1997

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    On Verizon's "Without CDMA" map it shows Extended 3G in parts of Eastern WV where AT&T is the only provider. Areas such as S
    Marlinton, and Snowshoe Ski Resort.

Sent from my LG-H871 using HoFo mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast