Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Calling Plus (AKA VoLTE) trials begin soon

Feedback Score
    Sounds like they're doing "bonded calling" like Republic Wireless which is VoIP over LTE to handoff between WiFi and Cellular.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    So I bought a Galaxy J7 Perx and Calling Plus works alright; I also went into data programming and changed the priority for the LTE bands(by default 25 was first so I knocked it down to #4 after 26, 41, and 12). I haven't been fortunate enough yet to go into a 3G area to have a call drop....HOWEVER, I started a call on 3G/1x and once I hit an LTE area I obviously couldn't access data until the call ended.

Feedback Score
    I see it is being nicknamed VolTE Lite or VolTE Beta. Basically WiFi calling is being allowed to run on Cellular LTE. You can now make a WiFi call wherever you have LTE, even without a WiFi connection.
    So the phone uses the WiFi calling function to create a pseudo-VolTE experience.

Sprint can eventually use this to jump to true VolTE.

Definitely a step in the right direction for Sprint.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottylightning View Post
    So I bought a Galaxy J7 Perx and Calling Plus works alright; I also went into data programming and changed the priority for the LTE bands(by default 25 was first so I knocked it down to #4 after 26, 41, and 12). I haven't been fortunate enough yet to go into a 3G area to have a call drop....HOWEVER, I started a call on 3G/1x and once I hit an LTE area I obviously couldn't access data until the call ended.
    Have you had a chance to check out the call manager function of the phone like merging incoming calls and the conference calling like every other carrier

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Basically WiFi calling is being allowed to run on Cellular LTE.
    I don't understand why Sprint only allows this feature on LTE. If all Calling Plus is is the ability to place a call over data, why doesn't this work on 3G, too? Data is data, right?

At times, I get better speeds and/or a stronger signal on 3G, and it would be nice to be able to utilize Calling Plus across the entire Sprint network.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE_A View Post
    I don't understand why Sprint only allows this feature on LTE. If all Calling Plus is is the ability to place a call over data, why doesn't this work on 3G, too? Data is data, right?

At times, I get better speeds and/or a stronger signal on 3G, and it would be nice to be able to utilize Calling Plus across the entire Sprint network.
    Probably because EVDO is sketchy and cannot take advantage of low band spectrum. It wouldn't give as much of a consistent experience as VoIP over LTE.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    3 lines on Sprint, 1 line on Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Big cities people don't see 3G anymore.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
    Not true. I'm in a major metro and see 3G about 20% of the time.

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256 GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim View Post
    Not true. I'm in a major metro and see 3G about 20% of the time.
    My brother has a Boost Mobile iPhone SE and saw 3G/1X a few times in a the Minneapolis metro. They're only good in downtown.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tanderson164 View Post
    Have you had a chance to check out the call manager function of the phone like merging incoming calls and the conference calling like every other carrier

No, not yet....I never have multiple people call me at once! I guess I need more friends. Haha

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottylightning View Post
    No, not yet....I never have multiple people call me at once! I guess I need more friends. Haha
    I dont either but as soon as I do get a call it seems like I get another one thanks for sharing keep us updated on how the calling plus is working out for you and any features of it that might be interesting

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy J7 Perx
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The only issue I had so far was two weeks ago at a hospital while on Band 26; data worked fine, but when making a phone call there was this digital raster and my voice became echoey before I had to end the call and try again.

Feedback Score
    Sprint has just now delivered LTE Calling (beta) on the Samsung S8 as well. I just updated to it (via OTA update) and it seems to work fine so far on my Samsung S8+. This is, finally, simultaneous voice and data entirely over LTE working fine so far in brief testing.

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Sams...-p/969527#M981
    https://community.sprint.com/t5/Buzz...ng/ba-p/961338

I found LTE Calling latency to be slightly inferior (but not by much) to CDMA voice (this may depend on the LTE connection obviously) . They will surely fine tune that before eventually announcing VoLTE, which will include network routing and priority support not included in the initial "LTE Calling."
    Last edited by comintel; 08-14-2017 at 02:04 AM.

Feedback Score
    If Sprint can offer VoIP over LTE why don't they just step up to true VoLTE? They made excuses that site density was the reason it hasn't launched, but this solution is exactly the same thing. Secondly, why serve up a feature to such a limited selection of devices? I do wonder if the true nature of this feature is to reduce roaming costs by shifting voice calls to LTE.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Calling Plus (AKA VoLTE) trails begin soon

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    If Sprint can offer VoIP over LTE why don't they just step up to true VoLTE? They made excuses that site density was the reason it hasn't launched, but this solution is exactly the same thing. Secondly, why serve up a feature to such a limited selection of devices? I do wonder if the true nature of this feature is to reduce roaming costs by shifting voice calls to LTE.
    The worst part to me about Sprints half a$$ed implementation here is there is no QoS. It's literally just VoWiFi on LTE. So theoretically if the person next to you on sprint ran a speed test or started streaming some video it could make your call choppy. I actually tested this theory on my iPad with an AT&T UDP using Verizon wifi calling setup on the iPad and had the exact issues one would expect to have whenever signal was crap or data was being used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    They are only putting it on phones that are certified with the FCC for VoLTE on Sprint's bands. I knew the S8 was one of the few Sprint phones certified for LTE on Sprint when I got it so I knew it would be upgradeable. It really is an essentially complete VoLTE on the phone side, but not yet fully on the network side, as pointed out by GusHerb94. The network requires a network overhaul to add QOS as he points out. That will be a later stage when they are ready. It could be partly there now - I just do not know.

But we have no network contention here at my house that I have seen, so it is fine for me as an interim stage. If Hangouts works great for you, so will this (but this is much more integrated). It is true that if you were using it in an area with weak signal and contention, then it may be better to use CDMA voice for now. They have a toggle to turn it off easily.
    Last edited by comintel; 08-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast