Thread: Sharp Aquos Mini SHV33 help

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Sharp Aquos Mini SHV33 help

Picked up a used SIM unlocked Au Sharp Aquos Mini SHV33. Worked great for a week. Was able to make phone calls and get 3G with Cricket/AT&T SIM.

One day it starts to reboot randomly. Then Wi-Fi disconnects by itself. When you tried to select a Wi-Fi network, phone would reboot. Now Wi-Fi does not work at all and Wi-Fi toggle switch goes to off position by itself. No networks show up in menu. I did a factory reset phone several times with same result. I'm pretty sad as it's a great phone otherwise, nice and compact.

I'm thinking hardware defect at this point as I have never seen a phone behave like this. Any suggestions before I get rid of it?

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This might be due to a system bug. The SHV33 just got the upgrade to Android 7.0 last week. But since you can't even turn Wi-Fi on, upgrading it in the hope to fix the issues is not possible.
    The only suggestion I can give you is send the phone to Japan to get it updated and upgraded.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Please excuse the dumb question as I don't know anything about Japanese phones. Would I receive Android 7.0 over the air here in the United States or could it only be done in Japan? If it is possible, could I get the update over 3G data (I know it would be slow)?

I bought the phone on ZenMarket so sending it back is not gonna happen. :/

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cman74 View Post
    Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Please excuse the dumb question as I don't know anything about Japanese phones. Would I receive Android 7.0 over the air here in the United States or could it only be done in Japan? If it is possible, could I get the update over 3G data (I know it would be slow)?

I bought the phone on ZenMarket so sending it back is not gonna happen. :/
    Normally, you will not receive any updates or upgrades because all Sharp phones are locked to only upgrade/update when in Japan and when connected to their home network (in your case AU).

However, there might be an exception. I just had a friend from Japan buy the SHV32 for my wife, and he managed to get the software updates and the Android 7.0 upgrade with his own MNVO SIM card. This means that the update was not restricted to AU SIM cards only. So, you should give it a try – go to Settings > About phone > Software update / Upgrade Android software. It will either work, or you'll see a message saying something like "updating not possible when roaming".

Alternatively, you can ask Kyoex to help you update it. I think you can send the phone to them (in Japan), they'll update it for you, and send it back – not sure how much they'll charge you.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    I checked and no update. I'll keep it around for a bit to see if it shows up since you said it was just released last week.

Got it for a dirt cheap < $200 so I am not going to kill myself over it. I mostly got it out of curiosity to see if it would work in the US. It is a NICE phone, though

Again, thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cman74 View Post
    I checked and no update. I'll keep it around for a bit to see if it shows up since you said it was just released last week.

Got it for a dirt cheap < $200 so I am not going to kill myself over it. I mostly got it out of curiosity to see if it would work in the US. It is a NICE phone, though

Again, thanks for your help.
    Welcome.
    This latest OS upgrade (to Android 7.0) was actually suspended temporarily due to a bug; should be fixed soon. But if your SHV33 is running anything lower than Build version 02.01.01 (Android 6.0), then you should be able to get any of the previous updates. If not, then it needs to be sent to Japan.