Thread: Sharp to release a FRAMELESS phone

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Sharp to release a FRAMELESS phone

Sharp Mobile China are preparing a full-screen phone where the display will occupy 100% of the phone's front. At least that is to be inferred from the teaser here: http://www.weibo.com/5997275848/F4AQjBCPQ?type=comment

The device will have a 6-inch WQHD+ (2960 x 1440 px) display with a fingerprint scanner embedded at the bottom. It will not have a secondary (inner) camera.

There will be a dual camera (main) on the back, 12 MP, underneath which there will be a small 1.4-inch display with a 1024 x 768 pixels resolution for selfie-obsessed users. Schematics here: http://www.cnmo.com/news/573206.html

Nothing else is known yet. The posts on Sharp's microblog seem to indicate 24th May as the announcement date but that's already passed. The Sharp Mobile (China) website shows a "Website upgrade" message at the moment of writing this.

If you understand Chinese, feel free to add more info.
    Last edited by cheeseus; 05-29-2017 at 12:19 AM.
    Sharp mobile devices database & tips for Sharp smartphones: http://sharp.cheeseus.org
    Selling: Near mint Sharp SoftBank 005SH: SIM unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, leather case
    Selling: Sharp Aquos Phone 007SH – The Hybrid, SIM-unlocked, permanent root, 16 GB microSD, optimised.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The unveiling event was initially scheduled for 24th May. Another picture in the blog featured the date 28th May. Nevertheless, no official announcement has been made yet – and the Sharp Mobile China website is still being "upgraded".

Meanwhile, another unknown Chinese brand has decided to build a phone around Sharp's "unbound" display – UMIDIGI and their Crystal model. Does Crystal sound familiar? http://www.umidigi.com/page-umidigi_..._activity.html
    Name:  crystal_black.png
Views: 298
Size:  431.2 KB

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The web is now teeming with articles about the pending announcement, on 17 July, of the new Sharp FS8010 and FS8016. Whether they'll be fully frameless, we're yet to see. The photos posted in those articles are not official photos/designs.

The FS8016 will use the Snapdragon 660, and the FS8010 will use the Snapdragon 630 processor.

The processor difference seems to be the only one, at least from what is known at this time. Both phones will have 5.5-inch screens with a resolution of 2,048 x 1,080. Unclear if this will be an IGZO display. Only one of the Sharp-China-released models has an IGZO screen, the Aquos P1 (summer of 2016), whereas the Aquos M1, Z2, and Z3 have a new type of display – a high-speed Low-Temperature Polycrystalline Silicon (LTPS) that also has a 120 Hz refresh rate.

They will have dual 12 MP cameras, and will come with 4 or 6 GB of RAM – unclear if one will have 4 and the other 6, or both will have either 4 or 6.

Both the FS8010 and the FS8016 will run Android 7.1.1 Nougat.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, it seems that Sharp aren't exactly serious about sticking to promised dates. The most recent 17th July date is now two days past, and the only thing we have so far is another leaked image that stirred controversy even more.

Name:  fs8016.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  54.3 KB

GSMArena and others were quick to jump to conclusions, writing "New image reveals Sharp's upcoming phone isn't exactly bezelless".
    I don't think the people who wrote this actually carefully examined the photo. These "bezels" are so... inadequate (for lack of a better word) that it should have occurred to them that maybe, just maybe, they aren't bezels.

Here's the comment I posted on GSMArena:

When I first saw this photo, the first thing that crossed my mind was "protective cases". It would be gigantic stupidity that would seriously damage the reputation of both Sharp and Foxconn to talk about bezelless phones for two months, to advertise these new models as the "logical continuation" of the Crystal/Edgest lines, to actually have produced bezelless (Crystal) and very-thin-bezel (Edgest) phones before, and now roll out something that has bezels this big.

Time will tell if I'm right. But (business) logic is on my side

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well... the "frameless" phone has now been officially announced. And it does disappoint because it is neither "frameless", nor "full-screen". 87.5% screen-to-body ration is indeed great, but advertising it as "full screen" is misleading.

Here's my article about the Aquos S2: http://sharp.cheeseus.org/device/172/Aquos-S2

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Passport
    Carrier(s)
    Fido, Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I guess Sharp makes the screen for Essential Phone?
    Motorola DPC 550, Mitsubishi G310, Panasonic A102, Motorola V60, Sony Ericsson W200, Sony Ericsson C510a, Motorola XT502, HTC Desire V, LG Optimus L9, Samsung T159, LG G2, Huawei U2801, BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry Passport SE (short lived), BlackBerry Passport (White), BlackBerry DTEK60 (short lived), BlackBerry Priv.

Device(s)
    Aquos Zeta SH-01G
    Carrier(s)
    Mtel Bulgaria
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yyz123 View Post
    I guess Sharp makes the screen for Essential Phone?
    Yep. And for all the other makers who released bezel-less phones this year or last, including Xiaomi, Umidigi, Bluboo, etc. And for the new iPhone, which is also rumoured as bezel-less.