Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: So when will VZW no longer make VoLTE optional?

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    This is going to be tricky, as VoLTE is so critical for Verizon.

It's the case - study that's been in the making for nearly a decade, with Verizon decision to stick with a CDMA2000 core versus W-CDMA.

It'll be interesting times ahead, if isn't already.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Feedback Score
    Verizon doesn't have the LTE density that is required to replace CDMA. They need to increase density at a much faster pace which is nearly impossible because of all the opposition that they face from NIMBYs and local government. It is going to be a difficult uphill battle for Verizon. ATT is in a much better position because they have HSPA as a fallback. HSPA is very useful for data whereas CDMA is almost useless with the exception of being able to check email albeit very slowly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Verizon doesn't have the LTE density that is required to replace CDMA. They need to increase density at a much faster pace which is nearly impossible because of all the opposition that they face from NIMBYs and local government. It is going to be a difficult uphill battle for Verizon. ATT is in a much better position because they have HSPA as a fallback. HSPA is very useful for data whereas CDMA is almost useless with the exception of being able to check email albeit very slowly.
    Vzw doesn't plan to Shutdown CDMA completely until 2019. That gives them ample time to density. That's if people in some cities don't get going against deployment of new cell sites.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    So would this mean that coverage holes in all areas will be fixed by end of year 2019? There is an entire neighborhood (literally along a mile long stretch of road) that has unusable -110 to -120 dbm of LTE. It's a dense residential/business neighborhood, too, so it's not like it's out in the middle of nowhere.

I can hope but I doubt that they will have a network as dense as T-Mobile's. I guess we'll have to see.

Part of me thinks they'll just plaster the area with small cells. I've seen a small cell not even a mile from my house (which also happens to be a coverage hole..). Speeds are fantastic on the small cell, too

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With VoLTE the speed of the network now is very important to voice calls to provide enough bandwidth with lots of customers.

PC Mag: FASTEST MOBILE NETWORKS 2017

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WiredGuy View Post
    They still have some areas on 3g and 1x in nyc. I don't see them ever turning it off completely.
    3G drops are becoming less common as they continue to densify . They still have gaps but they're narrowing...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    Vzw doesn't plan to Shutdown CDMA completely until 2019. That gives them ample time to density. That's if people in some cities don't get going against deployment of new cell sites.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2019 is less than 2 years from now!! Several years ago I was involved in a situation where Verizon was attempting to increase density in a poorly covered area of Orange County California. The HOA ran Verizon out of the neighborhood. This situation is very common especially in upper middle class neighborhoods. It required almost 1.5 years and the recall of all officers in the local HOA by militant NIMBYS before Verizon was run out of the neighborhood with their plans for densification foiled.

You have got to joking about complete densification within 2 years. It will require 2 years for the paperwork, permits, and attorney fees in most cities. I believe that Verizon is 10 years away from achieving the density that they need. That's reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Checker79 View Post
    3G drops are becoming less common as they continue to densify . They still have gaps but they're narrowing...
    You mean as in the phone won't drop to 3G as much because of the expansion of LTE?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by punisherbv View Post
    You mean as in the phone won't drop to 3G as much because of the expansion of LTE?
    That's correct.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    2019 is less than 2 years from now!! Several years ago I was involved in a situation where Verizon was attempting to increase density in a poorly covered area of Orange County California. The HOA ran Verizon out of the neighborhood. This situation is very common especially in upper middle class neighborhoods. It required almost 1.5 years and the recall of all officers in the local HOA by militant NIMBYS before Verizon was run out of the neighborhood with their plans for densification foiled.

You have got to joking about complete densification within 2 years. It will require 2 years for the paperwork, permits, and attorney fees in most cities. I believe that Verizon is 10 years away from achieving the density that they need. That's reality.
    You also have to realize that most places are not nearly as stuck up as Orange County, California.

In all honesty, if someone chooses to live somewhere with militant NIMBYs and HOAs, they get what they get. No one is forcing anyone to live there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    You also have to realize that most places are not nearly as stuck up as Orange County, California.

In all honesty, if someone chooses to live somewhere with militant NIMBYs and HOAs, they get what they get. No one is forcing anyone to live there.
    These NIMBYS will need reliable cell service one of these days and they won't get it due to their stubbornness . Emergencies happen...and with bad cell service it could get downright ugly.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Verizon actually fixed all of their 3G only gaps in my market in a few months this year. It isn't 1900 MHz spacing by any means, but it's more than acceptable.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Feedback Score
    Which market if you don't mind me asking?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by benwoohoo View Post
    Which market if you don't mind me asking?
    In my market Verizon has gone small cell crazy. I can think of 8 or 9 small cells right off the top of my head. All out in in the last year or two.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    In my market Verizon has gone small cell crazy. I can think of 8 or 9 small cells right off the top of my head. All out in in the last year or two.
    I've seen one small cell pop up in my area in the last year, hopefully they deploy more to fix the LTE gaps.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast