Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Apps Report: Verizon Might Buy a Stake in Pandora if SiriusXM Deal Falls Through

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Apps Report: Verizon Might Buy a Stake in Pandora if SiriusXM Deal Falls Through

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...-falls-through

Verizon is reportedly circling Pandora Media like a vulture, ready to swoop in with a $100 million investment if the internet music service fails to lock in a sale to satellite radio company SiriusXM.

The New York Post on Sunday reported the U.S. wireless carrier is weighing the possibility of taking a stake in the company to glean data from Pandora’s 80 million users should its negotiations with SiriusXM fail. But the Post indicated Verizon isn’t looking to fully acquire the company since it already has its hands full with the Yahoo deal.

The setup Verizon is reportedly mulling sounds similar to Sprint’s move to buy 33 percent of Jay Z’s music streaming service Tidal for a reported investment of $200 million back in January. As part of that deal, Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure was set to join Tidal’s board. The Post reported AOL exec Tim Armstrong might do the same if Verizon ends up in a similar situation.

Claure in January said there were three fundamental points of logic behind the deal: the desire to make the Sprint brand more “culturally relevant,” testing the concept of whether exclusive content can help drive customer additions and retention, and the idea that Sprint’s distribution of the service to its 45 million-strong customer base will help Tidal grow.

Sprint said its deal with Tidal would give its wireless customers access to a library of 42.5 million songs and 140,000 videos, as well as “unlimited access to exclusive artist content.” The carrier declined to comment on whether it would zero rate Tidal streaming for its customers.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Apps Report: Verizon Might Buy a Stake in Pandora if SiriusXM Deal Falls Through

Verizon seems rudderless. None of what they're doing makes any financial sense.

Sprint needs gimmicks, Verizon needs to focus on their network, period.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it comes down to revenue streams. Verizon seems to have trouble finding those new streams

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X & 6P; iPhone 5S
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi; Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I kind of like the fact they don't act like a carnival barker at a circus like one of their competitors.
    Nexus 5X & 6P on Google Fi
    iPhone 5S on Boom

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I think it comes down to revenue streams. Verizon seems to have trouble finding those new streams

Sure, how about a premium wireless network experience?
    The reason Verizon is losing subscribers to the others is because they lost sight of what made them great.

Free music or bundling a subscription with your plan is more gimmicky crap.

They seem to have given up on making their network a better experience like it used to be, and are now focusing on trinkets and baubles. I guess "good enough" is what everyone aims for nowadays.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What is your idea of a premium network experience?

I'd have to imagine any money used for this is earmarked completely separately from their CapEx for the network so it's not like this $100MM (which is a small fraction of their revenue) would be preventing them from doing network improvements.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Sure, how about a premium wireless network experience?
    The reason Verizon is losing subscribers to the others is because they lost sight of what made them great.

Free music or bundling a subscription with your plan is more gimmicky crap.

They seem to have given up on making their network a better experience like it used to be, and are now focusing on trinkets and baubles. I guess "good enough" is what everyone aims for nowadays.
    I think things will continue to get worse for Verizon. T-Mobile buying all that 600 really is going to be a game changer once they build out

I have one complaint with my T-Mobile plan and that's price for how little I typically use it, but the coverage on tmobile has been great so its almost to the point I don't want to lose the great coverage and service that performs well.

I do like Verizon's recent buy for 5g so maybe that will help

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    What is your idea of a premium network experience?

I'd have to imagine any money used for this is earmarked completely separately from their CapEx for the network so it's not like this $100MM (which is a small fraction of their revenue) would be preventing them from doing network improvements.
    What about the billions spent on AOL and Yahoo?

My idea of a premium network experience would be one without areas that consistently provide sub-1Mbps speeds during peak periods. One where I don't fall back to 3G or 1X in buildings. One where I don't need to carry a second phone to have usable coverage everywhere I need it.

Sure, Verizon is great in a lot of places. And their coverage still can't be beat from a perspective of square miles covered. But they still have a long way to go. LTE doesn't have the same excellent propagation characteristics as CDMA and Verizon's network shows it. And the many places where they still have overloaded Band 13 because of low site density is a problem. They need to fix this sooner rather than later if they want to continue to be taken seriously. Otherwise, they'll just be relegated to rural-carrier status once T-Mobile lights up their 600MHz, as there will be no reason for anyone outside the urban core to still have Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    AOL and Yahoo are deals that were handled by a department of Verizon that is separate from the wireless department. Sure I suppose you can tie them together if you're talking about total company expenditures but those deals have zero to do with the budget of the wireless department, which itself is basically its own entity, and maybe will come down to some sort of media platform integration for mobile users.

On the network side what you've described almost seems to hinge on Verizon just completely stopping any upgrading and expanding, both of which they're aggressively doing, and letting competitors catch up to them. Perhaps I'm just lucky to live in a good market (despite being ranked one of the worst covered by all carriers) where I'm seeing a ton of work by Verizon to upgrade towers to add new LTE carriers and blanket a lot of suburban areas with small cells. They're by far the busiest carrier around me with AT&T being the second busiest.

I'm still not convinced 600Mhz is T-Mobile's silver bullet because there are too many variables to get the network up and running and even if they light up the network within a few years Verizon will, by that time, have at minimum vastly improved their densification as well as other carrier upgrades. T-Mobile has a ton of work to do as far as implementing 600Mhz and, I could be proven wrong, their methods of upgrading, while aggressive, don't leave me too optimistic it'll be effective on nearly the level some people think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JimMcGraff View Post
    I'm still not convinced 600Mhz is T-Mobile's silver bullet because there are too many variables to get the network up and running and even if they light up the network within a few years Verizon will, by that time, have at minimum vastly improved their densification as well as other carrier upgrades. T-Mobile has a ton of work to do as far as implementing 600Mhz and, I could be proven wrong, their methods of upgrading, while aggressive, don't leave me too optimistic it'll be effective on nearly the level some people think.
    You say that has if T-Mobile is going to do nothing for 3 years. They already contracted 10,000 small cells and have another 25,000 small cells planned. They still haven't completed 700mhz deployment, Band 66, LTE-U, and still have to refarm their remaining spectrum to LTE. T-Mobile will beat Verizon towards an all LTE network. By the time this work gets underway, they'll be in Phase 2-3 of 600mhz relocation.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by b1geast View Post
    You say that has if T-Mobile is going to do nothing for 3 years. They already contracted 10,000 small cells and have another 25,000 small cells planned. They still haven't completed 700mhz deployment, Band 66, LTE-U, and still have to refarm their remaining spectrum to LTE. T-Mobile will beat Verizon towards an all LTE network. By the time this work gets underway, they'll be in Phase 2-3 of 600mhz relocation.
    Do yourself a favor and zoom to street level coverage with T-Mobile.

Now look at the areas considered fair coverage and eliminate them as actual coverage since it's widely agreed upon that Fair coverage with Tmobile is no coverage or roaming.

Now look at that area again and you'll see much closer to actual coverage representation with Tmobile.

Now compare to ATT and Verizon coverage locally.

Fact is as much as T-Mobile likes to use Microsoft Paint for their maps, it's horribly over represented.

I live in a town of close to 15,000 on a busy interstate that T-Mobile claims on their advertising maps is smack dab covered entirely and cleanly by LTE native T-Mobile.

The problem? When you zoom in its considered fair coverage. The real problem? The town has zero native T-Mobile coverage. It's either no service or roaming for the entire town and surrounding area. Same with the interstate passing through.

When I contacted the FCC Tmobiles response was that they can't guarantee coverage and that it's working as it should here. They admitted it's roaming here but they're national coverage map and advertising says otherwise. I can get service with them no problem when the zipcode is entered for the town. It's a Band 12 area.

600 MHz is going to help but by no means will be the silver bullet. They still have a very long way to go.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Tiger they are all horribly represented. Come with me to Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada. Lots of Orange, Red and Magenta that don't exist.

I hike these areas. I know.

But guys seriously if you want to turn another Verizon thread (I posted) into a T-Mobile one be my guest. This isn't my doing.

Device(s)
    Product Red 128 GB iPhone 7 Qualcomm
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Verizon seems rudderless. None of what they're doing makes any financial sense.

Sprint needs gimmicks, Verizon needs to focus on their network, period.
    I think you've got this backwards LOL

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC + Band 12 10 MHz TCC

iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC + Band 12 5 MHz TCC

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

No, I don't.

Sprint doesn't have a network to focus on. They're done, no hope, they should close the doors and sell off the pieces to the highest bidder. They have to offer stupid gimmicks like music streaming to get customers.

Verizon needs to stop worrying about dead 90s media companies (and their soon to be dead 00's counterparts like Pandora) and make sure their network is top notch, because it's starting to slip. Competing with gimmicks is a race to the bottom and Verizon needs to be above catering to the lowest-common-denominator subscribers like Sprint.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Here's Why Verizon May Want to Invest a $100 Million In Pandora

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...ora/ar-BBC6C6T

Name:  BBC7VeT.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  27.7 KB

AOL boss Tim Armstrong wants Oath to grow from from 1.3 billion consumers on its platform to 2 billion by 2020, generating $10 billion to $20 billion in sales by 2020. Pandora would add about $1.6 billion in projected sales this year, according to analysts surveyed by FactSet. The streaming service reported close to 80 million active users in May.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast