Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to keep my GF unlimited plan vs the new unlimited plan?

Device(s)
    SE c905a (debranded baby!)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Any reason to keep my GF unlimited plan vs the new unlimited plan?

I pay $161 (with taxes) for 2 lines. Unlimited data, text, A-list, calls, etc. I get a FAN discount through my job that brings it to that price. I was keeping it to get upgraded phones every 2 years and my contract doesn't renew till 11/2017. I usually just get the best iPhone I can buy and sell it on ebay but not sure that justifies paying what I pay per month. With switching I get hotspot and other benefits that I don't have now plus I can add additional family members for $20 per line which I can't do currently.

thanks in advance for any help!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Well I can say that since I've been on the new unlimited plus plan I'm saving money. Plus all the new features, $25 off direct and free hbo. We live in Michigan so the free unlimited roaming in Canada is also very nice. As for the de-prioritized stuff after 22gb. I have not noticed any issue with that. I'm out in the Los Angeles area and both my hotspot in the rv and my iPhone are well north of 22gb each month with no noticeable slowdowns. The rest of the family is back in Michigan and some lines are north of 22 also with no ill effects. Anyway if the math works out I say dump it and don't look back!
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas View Post
    I pay $161 (with taxes) for 2 lines. Unlimited data, text, A-list, calls, etc. I get a FAN discount through my job that brings it to that price. I was keeping it to get upgraded phones every 2 years and my contract doesn't renew till 11/2017. I usually just get the best iPhone I can buy and sell it on ebay but not sure that justifies paying what I pay per month. With switching I get hotspot and other benefits that I don't have now plus I can add additional family members for $20 per line which I can't do currently.

thanks in advance for any help!
    I was getting subsidized upgrades on 2 year contracts up until they started the new UDP. I would have kept our 4 line old UDP's if they kept giving us subsidized 2 year upgrades.

Feedback Score
    AT&T can change the terms on the GF unlimited plans like the change to the old UL iPad plans.

We made the change when the first DTV plan was announced. I travel to Canada every month. I dropped my old hotspot plan and tether from my phone.

Device(s)
    SE c905a (debranded baby!)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by macher52 View Post
    I was getting subsidized upgrades on 2 year contracts up until they started the new UDP. I would have kept our 4 line old UDP's if they kept giving us subsidized 2 year upgrades.
    Were you on a personal or a business account? I am leaning towards getting the new plan but am on a business plan and thought those plans were going to keep subsidized updates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas View Post
    Were you on a personal or a business account? I am leaning towards getting the new plan but am on a business plan and thought those plans were going to keep subsidized updates.
    Wasn't on a business plan but my FAN allowed subsidies up until the new UDP's.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have the same question as AT&T today refused to add the International Day Plan to my account as they claim it can only be added to the newer data plans. I challenged them that no where in the fine print does it exclude the plan that I'm on but they refuse to add it. For me it would be $19.48 cheaper a month for two lines of the unlimited plus plan (they only apply FAN discount to plan now vs everything today) but I worry what I will lose? Any advice as I don't have DirecTV nor plan to being on Xfinity with TiVo's (the free HBO only applies to DirecTV I assume). I read about the throttling of data but will that greatly impact me or my ability to upgrade to the latest iPhones?

My current plan:

Line #1 $113.72:
    Monthly plan charges for 6/15 - 7/14 $107.99
    FamilyTalk GSM 850 with Rollover $59.99
    International Roaming - Expanded $0.00
    See News You Can Use 911 TTY Message $0.00
    Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
    Family Messaging Unlimited $30.00
    National Account Discount -$22.00
    Surcharges & fees $4.98
    Administrative Fee $0.76
    Federal Universal Service Charge $2.90
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge $1.25
    Residential Service Protection Fund Surcharge $0.07
    Government taxes & fees $0.75
    STATE 911 FEE $0.75

Line #2 $44.73:
    Monthly plan charges for 6/15 - 7/14 $41.19
    FamilyTalk GSM 850 with Rollover $9.99
    International Roaming - Expanded $0.00
    See News You Can Use 911 TTY Message $0.00
    Data Unlimited for iPhone on 4G LTE with VVM $40.00
    Family Messaging Unlimited $0.00
    National Account Discount -$8.80
    Surcharges & fees $2.79
    Administrative Fee $0.76
    Federal Universal Service Charge $0.71
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge $1.25
    Residential Service Protection Fund Surcharge $0.07
    Government taxes & fees $0.75
    STATE 911 FEE $0.75

Current bill charges:
    Total for May 15 - Jun 14, 2017 = $158.45
    Last edited by cdp1276; 07-04-2017 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Adjusted savings

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I would let it go at this point, as it holds no significant advantage.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    I have the family talk plan 700 grandfathered with 2 unlimited plus a $9.99 dumb phone for around $163/month. So if I get rid of the dumb line. My monthly cost would be about $150 (with taxes and my 24% fan discount).

2 lines $145 with new rate with tethering plus taxes and no corporate discount. Means about $160/165. So ends up about $15 more expensive.

But I have direct tv and att fiber 1gbs internet. So I would get $25 off monthly discount. So I may come out a little ahead even losing the corporate fan discount

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    I did my calculation. Pretax adjusted. 2 lines (69.99) two lines $40/line iPhone unlimited $20 family unlimited messages.

$76 (24% fan discount) on line 1.

My wife line is included in the 69.99
    $31 for iPhone data plan

So $76 plus $31 plus $20 family messages

Total is $127

Vs $145 (with auto pay from debit card/checking). I know

So $18 cheaper to stay on grandfathers plan.

But I'm gonna to get a $25 direct tv/att fiber 1gpbs credit

So it's $7 cheaper for me to move to newer plan.

I don't care for hbo but it's added perk and also Mexico and Canada roaming.

Plus I can add tablet/phone for my kids $20

Vs paying $9.99 plus $30 for 3gb data on old plan

Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    So, I guess I may as well give up my GF unlimited plan at this point too. I hardly go over 5GB a month and have some 5k RO built up as I really don't make calls. I have 200 text plan and may use 50-100 at most. I do use messaging apps and imessages mostly so that's why I never saw the need to change text plans.

I have just one line, and I am planning to get fiber installed later this month as it comes out cheaper than my current plan.

I don't have Dtv or Uverse, so I really don't care for the plus plan. It also looks like choice is a better option for me since I don't need tethering and don't really care for HBO that's included in the plus plan.

I take it as I have an old blue account, that switching mid cycle won't be an issue as I pay in arrears instead of advance like everyone that started after 2007(?). If I do switch plans, it won't force me to change to advanced billing, would it? If so, that would suck as then I'd have 2 months to pay instead of one.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128GB, iPad Pro 12.9"
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T MSV 20GB RNA, w/ $20 unlimited connected Car / ZTE Mobley
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by astrand1 View Post
    Well I can say that since I've been on the new unlimited plus plan I'm saving money.
    We live in Michigan so the free unlimited roaming in Canada is also very nice.
    I'm also in Michigan. How MUCH are the taxes on the new plan per line in Michigan?

If you switched from a Mobile Share plan (and not GF Unlimited), how do they compare?
    (I'm in Wayne County but not sure if it's the same state wide).

It looked like it might be significantly higher per line from discussions from people from other states.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by holaDude View Post
    So, I guess I may as well give up my GF unlimited plan at this point too. I hardly go over 5GB a month and have some 5k RO built up as I really don't make calls. I have 200 text plan and may use 50-100 at most. I do use messaging apps and imessages mostly so that's why I never saw the need to change text plans.

I have just one line, and I am planning to get fiber installed later this month as it comes out cheaper than my current plan.

I don't have Dtv or Uverse, so I really don't care for the plus plan. It also looks like choice is a better option for me since I don't need tethering and don't really care for HBO that's included in the plus plan.

I take it as I have an old blue account, that switching mid cycle won't be an issue as I pay in arrears instead of advance like everyone that started after 2007(?). If I do switch plans, it won't force me to change to advanced billing, would it? If so, that would suck as then I'd have 2 months to pay instead of one.
    Att choice is limited to 3mpbs speed first 22gb. And than could go slower to 128kpbs during congestion. That's pretty slow. If u are getting full speed lte speeds going down to 3mpbs is not the way to go.

Plus choice doesn't have hot spot either.

Feedback Score
    Came in to ask this same question. One line (unlocked phone) on GF unlimited plan (with company discount) that is $100 and change per month (450 mins I believe). I see the new unlimited plan is $90 per month for unlimited everything. Plus, I'll be traveling through Canada a few times in the coming months. At this point, does it make sense to switch? I mean, if I keep my discount, it'll be less than $90. I will be locked into a new contract though, right?

Thoughts?
    The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering..."Is there really a DOG?"

Feedback Score
    With the new unlimited plan, you are not locked into a contract since you are month to month unless you finance a new phone through AT&T.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast