Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Consumer Cellular to Partner with T-Mobile

http://www.bendbulletin.com/localsta...o-1-billion-in

Consumer Cellular also reached an agreement with T-Mobile, which created a virtual cellular phone network similar to the agreement Consumer Cellular has with AT&T. The two networks operate on compatible underlying software and in service areas that complement one another. Plus, Marick said, having a second network agreement is insurance in case the business relationship with one comes to an end.

“T-Mobile’s put a lot of money into their network the past three years, several billion dollars,” Pryor said. “So they’ve really improved their coverage. We’re not seeing a big difference between T-Mobile and AT&T.”
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Feedback Score
    Should try inside the Redmond Walmart... (Since that's the same town the call center is in) I'm assuming AT&T is good there, T-Mobile is terrible GPRS , no data connection.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I've been hearing for a while that consumer Cellular wants to drop att. Wonder of this is the beginning of that?

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X, Nexus 5
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    I've been hearing for a while that consumer Cellular wants to drop att. Wonder of this is the beginning of that?

Wonder if it is AT&T that wants Consumer Cellular gone since it could be seen as a competitor to Cricket which AT&T owns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    ...“T-Mobile’s put a lot of money into their network the past three years, several billion dollars,” Pryor said. “So they’ve really improved their coverage. We’re not seeing a big difference between T-Mobile and AT&T.” [/I]
    If they don't see a big difference between T-Mobile and AT&T, they are not looking very hard outside of major metro areas.

Otherwise, T-Mo is building and improving and I expect they will get there in a few years.

This seems like a bad move for CC. Their reputation was built on simple, reliable, "it just works" service. That does not describe T-Mo yet.

Feedback Score
    I think AT&T is strong arming CC. And that CC is saying we can get another girlfriend like that (CC snaps fingers).
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude. I fear fascism is here in the US. [fascism: government led by a dictator having complete power, forcibly suppressing opposition & criticism, regimenting all industry, commerce, etc., & emphasizing an aggressive nationalism & often racism]

AirVoice (AT&T) $20 a month UTnT 50MB
    T-Mobile ToGo Gold Rewards $10/yr exp extension
    Tello (Sprint) Pay As You Go $5 [1+ calls in 6mo Never Expires]

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    I think AT&T is strong arming CC. And that CC is saying we can get another girlfriend like that (CC snaps fingers).
    You may be right.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    Wonder if it is AT&T that wants Consumer Cellular gone since it could be seen as a competitor to Cricket which AT&T owns.
    I'm not sure how a tiny regional full-postpaid company competes with a coast-to-cost prepaid company?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    If they don't see a big difference between T-Mobile and AT&T, they are not looking very hard outside of major metro areas.
    Maybe Pryor meant they are little different as businesses, and it had nothing to do with coverage?

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    T-Mobile has extensive roaming agreements for voice nationwide despite having some less than favorable agreements on the data side. Emergency services via 911 will still work in those areas AT&T has coverage and T-Mobile doesn't for Consumer Cellular customers. Grandma won't be left in the cold.
    Last edited by @TheRealDanny; 06-06-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    I'm not sure how a tiny regional full-postpaid company competes with a coast-to-cost prepaid company?
    I thought Consumer Cellular was a nationwide company on the AT&T network. Are you sure you are not thinking about US Cellular?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    I thought Consumer Cellular was a nationwide company on the AT&T network. Are you sure you are not thinking about US Cellular?
    Oddly enough, I saw the headline and (mis)translated it first to "US Cellular" in my mind.

Anyway, there's not much about TMO and USC, but I did find this:

https://community.republicwireless.c...llular-in-2017

But by golly, the parent poster is correct. Look at the story he links to. It is indeed Consumer Cellular!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LTE4G View Post
    Should try inside the Redmond Walmart... (Since that's the same town the call center is in) I'm assuming AT&T is good there, T-Mobile is terrible GPRS , no data connection.
    Plenty of places where the opposite is true as well though. I have both T-Mobile and AT&T and there are lots of spots where AT&T is dead and T-Mobile has full bars of LTE. And not just my house but also on highways and in populated places.

Given that T-Mobile's LTE Availability is several percentage points higher nationwide than AT&T now, it might not be a bad choice by CC. Even better if they can utilize both networks.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Plenty of places where the opposite is true as well though. I have both T-Mobile and AT&T and there are lots of spots where AT&T is dead and T-Mobile has full bars of LTE. And not just my house but also on highways and in populated places.

Given that T-Mobile's LTE Availability is several percentage points higher nationwide than AT&T now, it might not be a bad choice by CC. Even better if they can utilize both networks.
    T-Mobile has been a shining star lately from my experience. They seem to have the best coverage they've ever had now so the improvements are impressive. Hopefully they keep it up.

Device(s)
    LG G Stylo
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    While the OP cites Consumer Cellular as now being an MVNO for T-Mobile. This is not new news. They have been with TMO since 2015. See this post at Prepaid Phone News (link below). That said, their emphasis in the news article about TMO may be a way to send a message to ATT. At one point last year there were complaints by customers who signed up with CC that they were put on the TMO service when they wanted ATT (or vice versa) see Prepaid Phone News and here for similar comments.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2015...ervice-on.html

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast