Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MVNO Suggestions for 2 lines

Feedback Score

MVNO Suggestions for 2 lines

The top 2 under consideration are Metro PCS and Consumer Cellular. This is based on advice from thewirecutter website.

Currently with Verizon, too expensive.

Usage about 500 text, 500 min per month and under 2 gb data. Wife and I live in San Jose, CA area. No home phone services.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotg6 View Post
    The top 2 under consideration are Metro PCS and Consumer Cellular. This is based on advice from thewirecutter website.

Usage about 500 text, 500 min per month and under 2 gb data. Wife and I live in San Jose, CA area. No home phone services.
    I have my kids on the Total Wireless 2-line plan. Unlimited T&T+8GB shared data/mo (30 days). The total after taxes and fees in our location on auto-pay is $31.06/line. You should also be able to use your existing Vzw phones.

However, since you use under 2GB/mo, perhaps Boom Mobile Vzw would also be a consideration, and they provide a higher level of customer service, in addition to a few other benefits, which may or may not be an advantage to you. Unlimited T&T+2GB/line for $29.99/mo total per line.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

That metroPCS 2 for $50 offer would fit you. All taxes are included and they even give you two free Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime phones, if you want them. 2gb per line
    https://www.metropcs.com/2-for-50.ht...me|hero|2for50

On the other hand, if you want to keep your Verizon phones/coverage, you could switch to Total Wireless... two lines for $60 and it includes 8GB of shared data between both lines. Speeds are usually capped at around 5Mbps, though.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/wps/portal/home
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    That metroPCS 2 for $50 offer would fit you. All taxes are included and they even give you two free Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime phones, if you want them. 2gb per line
    https://www.metropcs.com/2-for-50.ht...me|hero|2for50

On the other hand, if you want to keep your Verizon phones/coverage, you could switch to Total Wireless... two lines for $60 and it includes 8GB of shared data between both lines. Speeds are usually capped at around 5Mbps, though.
    https://www.totalwireless.com/wps/portal/home
    You need to check your tmobile coverage though for metropcs. No point in switching to them if coverage is useless. Otherwise a good choice.

If tmobile service is okay then you could also consider mintsim $199 for a year of unlimited talk/text/2gb data. The first year is $160 with coupon shopclever. Per line.

Total wireless are reputed to have weak customer service but YMMV and you may never need to use it. If that bothers you then you could get two lines at boom.us for $30 a piece (no tax) with 2gb each. Those are the best two for verizon mvnos.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII- LG G Pad- Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Is that usage combined or each, if combined what is your actual use individually?

SJ is pretty good for all 4 carriers, but do you travel and encounter the need to roam?

What specific devices do you have, are they free to leave Verizon and compatible with other carriers, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint?
    Willing to purchase new devices?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    Is that usage combined or each, if combined what is your actual use individually?

SJ is pretty good for all 4 carriers, but do you travel and encounter the need to roam?

What specific devices do you have, are they free to leave Verizon and compatible with other carriers, AT&T, T-Mobile or Sprint?
    Willing to purchase new devices?
    We do not travel often, perhaps once or twice per year. Destinations include Orange county, CA, Baltimore, Maryland and Cleveland, Ohio.

LG G6 (us997) and iPhone 6s are unlocked devices. So in theory would work on all carriers. We are not interested in changing phones.

After further research I am not convinced either of these 2 carriers would work for us. MetroPCS does not have either of these phones on their compatible list. Consumer Cellular cannot confirm the LG G6 would work. I am new with MVNO's and thought the phones would work but I can't verify this for these 2 carriers. On the other hand, I was able to enter the IMEI for the LG G6 on Cricket and Total Wireless websites and these carriers confirm it is compatible.

In regards to Metro PCS, I think they whitelist phones. Since they use T-Mobile I can't think of a good reason why they would not be compatible with our smartphones.

EDIT: regarding data, 2 gb or less used in total each month between the 2 phones. We use wifi at home so are light on data usage.
    Last edited by gotg6; 06-07-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: missed part of questions

Feedback Score
    Just had another idea, is xfinity wireless worth a try? We are already Comcast internet customers.

Feedback Score
    Like others recommended, I also say to use TotalWireless, is based on Verizon network, and they have a BYOD checker for compatibility:
    https://www.totalwireless.com/wps/po...-compatibility
    For two person, their plan is hard to beat - $57 with Auto refill.

Feedback Score
    Just had another idea, is xfinity wireless worth a try? We are already Comcast internet customers.
    You would need new phones

Feedback Score

After further research I am not convinced either of these 2 carriers would work for us. MetroPCS does not have either of these phones on their compatible list. Consumer Cellular cannot confirm the LG G6 would work. I am new with MVNO's and thought the phones would work but I can't verify this for these 2 carriers. On the other hand, I was able to enter the IMEI for the LG G6 on Cricket and Total Wireless websites and these carriers confirm it is compatible.

In regards to Metro PCS, I think they whitelist phones. Since they use T-Mobile I can't think of a good reason why they would not be compatible with our smartphones.
    If you take it into a store they would probably set you up. MetroPCS is funny in that it records the device with the sim so you can't easily swap. With other tmobile MVNOs you just pop the SIM in the device and make sure the apn settings are right and you are good to go.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Boom <Tracfone Verizon BYOP < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    If you indeed use about 1GB each person equally, look at Boom ! Mobile (Verizon ) $25 UL T& T 1GB each line , no tax.

If your 500 talk min & 500 text ( 250 ea ) is combined, then tracfone smartphone $35 card 60 days 750 min 1000 text 1024MB data.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 6 , Sony Ericsson TM-506
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular , Airvoice Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Cellular cannot confirm the LG G6 would work. I am new with MVNO's and thought the phones would work but I can't verify this for these 2 carriers. On the other hand, I was able to enter the IMEI for the LG G6 on Cricket and Total Wireless websites and these carriers confirm it is compatible.

[snip]

EDIT: regarding data, 2 gb or less used in total each month between the 2 phones. We use wifi at home so are light on data usage.
    My experience with Consumer Cellular is that they won't confirm a phone will work if they did not have it as part of their line to sell. It has no bearing on whether it will work (I cannot imagine why a rock-stock G6 would not work) but it covers them from extending tech support if there is some odd issue with that particular model.

We're on CC with an unlocked iPhone SE and a Nokia Lumia (a phone they won't confirm works but does except for hotspot for some weird reason) with a call/data package similar to what you're looking for and we're out the door every month for under $45/month (tax/fees included) with AT&T service. Just a data point for ya.

Feedback Score
    You need to stay with the Verizon network so you can keep your same phones (and great network coverage!). You didn't say what you are paying now but you have lots of options to try to save money.

1. Verizon Prepaid. Yup, they offer their own prepaid and at $40 per month you would get 3 GB per line. So with taxes and fees maybe around $90, $95 per month total. Advantages, big company with support and full speed on data, some international texting, rollover data (1 month only), hot spot included. Disadvantages... Verizon is expensive! But you knew that!

2. Boom! Mobile. They have their Unlimited Talk n Text plan with 2 GB for $30. So my understanding is that Boom! does not charge additional fees or taxes. So $60 per month total. Advantages, great price. Disadvantages, online only (no dealers), data speed capped at 5 MPBS (all Verizon MVNO's are capped like this, not just Boom!).

3. Others to check: Selectel Wireless, Red Pocket, each has different strengths and weaknesses. Selectel has dealers, Red Pocket offers more international options (notice that Red Pocket also offers service on other networks).

I think out of those 4 choices you should find a great option to save money and maintain your great coverage on the Verizon network (and keep your phones!).

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII- LG G Pad- Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    As has already been mentioned you would have to purchase new phones from XM, but you could purchase a couple X Power devices and HOT swap the SIMs to your current devices.
    That is a ~$312 + tax investment, but over the long term it might not be such a bad investment? Tough to gauge with BYOD possibly looming on the horizon?

Tracfone BYOP is another option to investigate.

Not many MVNOs share between devices, so it is kind of hard to make recommendations when you do not know the individual usage,

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    If your cable service is fast and reliable and a big part of your calls are to or from your home, you might consider getting VoIP service (and a wireless home phone). Then you could get a lesser cellular plan. I pay $4.45 for unlimited incoming, plus 2˘ a minute for outgoing with Callcentric. And, since my brothers and father also use Callentric, calls between us are free -- even three way calling. I've used a Linksys SPA1001 ATA adapter (about $18.50 including shipping) for about four or five years now. Make sure you get an unlocked ATA, like this one ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Linksy...AAAOSwjXRXbpAi

Callcentric is at: https://www.callcentric.com/

There are plenty of other VoIP providers and ATA choices. This just happens to be the setup I use. Callcentric provides step-by-step setup instructions (and so do most of the others).
    Blackberry Q10 on Twigby * Motorola Admiral on Tello

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast