Thread: Universal SIM card necessary?

Feedback Score

Universal SIM card necessary?

I am considering switching to Cricket from MetroPCS and bringing over my phone, but Cricket's site seems to require that I purchase a SIM card from them? Is it really necessary? Aren't Metro and Cricket both GSM?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joltinjoe View Post
    I am considering switching to Cricket from MetroPCS and bringing over my phone, but Cricket's site seems to require that I purchase a SIM card from them? Is it really necessary? Aren't Metro and Cricket both GSM?
    Yes you will need a Cricket sim. Either buy it from Cricket on their website or it may be cheaper on Amazon or Best Buy. Though there is the whole new white sim vs older green sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joltinjoe View Post
    With GSM, each service provider uses their own SIM. That is how they authenticate that you are allowed on their service.

In your case it is not even the same carrier. MetroPCS is T-Mobile, Cricket is AT&T.

CDMA is done differently. The SIMs are universal for the carrier, e.g. Sprint and all their subsidiaries and MVNOs use the same SIM for a given phone model. They are all Sprint SIMs.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the explanation.

Device(s)
    Moto G4 & BLU R1 HD
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    GSM service is attached to a SIM card so you will need a Cricket SIM for Cricket service

Your Metro phone will also need to be unlocked for it to work on Cricket

You can buy a universal Cricket SIM kit or you can get one of Cricket's free/cheap phones which comes with a SIM included -- you can switch phones as you like (just move the Cricket SIM to another compatible phone)

I would grab a free phone if I were you -- you can keep the phone as a spare or sell it and just use the Cricket SIM with your existing phone

Current phone offers: https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    You can buy a SIM for around $10 or buy one of Cricket's 99 cent offerings and use the SIM card from it, you choose...

Feedback Score
    My phone is a Galaxy s6 that was originally configured for Sprint but it was already unlocked when I bought it, I checkd the IMEI number on Cricket which said it was compatible. So I assume this means it's useable on Cricket right?

The free phone idea is great! Thanks!

Also, I see on Cricket's front page that it has a $50 credit offer if you switch plans and port your # over, which I plan to do anyway. Has anyone tried it? No code needed when ordering? (I don't see any code mentioned)

Device(s)
    Moto G4 & BLU R1 HD
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    If your unlocked Sprint S6 works on Metro then it'll work on Cricket as well

It uses a "nano" size SIM card so you'll want to order a free phone that uses a nano SIM -- I believe the Fortune/Amp 2/Sonata 3 all use nano SIM so you could grab one of those (doubt check specs)

$50 switch credit is automatic as long as you port -- in the past it showed up about 45 days later (they add it to your account balance so it'll be used for future billing cycles)

You can also grab a $25 referral credit from someone with existing service

Feedback Score
    Oh damn. I forgot to check the SIM card size before I ordered. The 99c cent Lumia phone I ordered uses a micro SIM.

Oh well I will just get a SIM from Amazon for 99c. Will this be a problem later for me if I activate the Lumia phone, and then port my number over to my s6, which will use a different SIM (which I will order from Amazon)?

My gf actually uses Cricket too on a family plan, but I guess she didn't know of a referral credit. If I already ordered, is it too late to get the referral?

Device(s)
    Moto G4 & BLU R1 HD
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I believe you have 30 days from activation to get the referral so not too late

You need to submit the port request when placing the online order so hopefully you did that -- after you get the order then you finish activation which will complete the port process and activate the included SIM

After that you can call/chat with CS and let them know you bought a new SIM and have them replace it on your line (just give them the new SIM ICCID)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JaTaN View Post
    I believe you have 30 days from activation to get the referral so not too late

You need to submit the port request when placing the online order so hopefully you did that -- after you get the order then you finish activation which will complete the port process and activate the included SIM

After that you can call/chat with CS and let them know you bought a new SIM and have them replace it on your line (just give them the new SIM ICCID)
    Cricket's site says the referral program is thru their app, and you have to order thru their app so I am not sure if it's too late for me. But I will definitely call them and find out after I activate the phone.

Thanks so much for the tips!

Device(s)
    Moto G4 & BLU R1 HD
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    No way to order service using a referral link or rewards app -- its done separately

You can sign up for their rewards right now using your GF's referral code -- must enter her referral code when signing up for rewards account

You can use the Cricket Rewards app or have your GF get the referral twitter link from her reward's account to sign up: http://mycricketrewards.com (or she can click the rewards link from her Cricket account)

Rewards program will eventually pick up your service activation and send you a confirmation email for the referral -- you'll also get some reward pts in your account (you must claim them from the Rewards Achievements section)

Feedback Score
    Just to add to the statement about cdma based lte sims. Sprint based sims are universal but Verizon based ones are not. Some Verizon mvno sims work with other Verizon mvnos but it is hit and miss. Verizon postpaid/prepaid sims may work on each other but in general mvno sims are specific to that mvno and won't work on Verizon prepaid/postpaid and vice versa. There are some exceptions. For example the now defunct former Locus Verizon mvno (sister of H20 wireless) Envie wireless, their sims are compatible with Red Pocket Verizon , but this is more an exception then a rule.