Feedback Score

Help with unlocking Sprint iPhone?

Hi everyone!

My mother has an iPhone 6 Plus that was purchased outright (full price) and she used it on the Sprint MVNO RingPlus (back when it was still existing). She asked Sprint to unlock the phone for her in around March and Sprint gave her an MSL code - but it is now June and the phone is not unlocked. There is no balance owed on the phone but when I call Sprint now, they need some kind of account info that I can't provide because I'm not using Sprint and my mom's phone/line hasn't been active in months. I really want to help her unlock it because she wants to switch to a different carrier now. Does anyone know what to do in this situation? Basically Sprint won't unlock it because my mom doesn't have an account with them but it is a Sprint phone and eligible to be unlocked. The only advice I got from Sprint was to have a friend call that has a Sprint account but that doesn't help me because I don't know anyone who uses Sprint

Any help would be appreciated!

Feedback Score
    That pretty much is your only resource as to why they gave you a MSL code makes no sense because you don't need anything to unlock your iPhone besides the order being pushed through in their system. If you can't find someone who has Sprint or can't get Sprint to unlock. Then you need to purchase the service from a third party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Check here

https://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

If Sprint won't unlock, file complaint with Better Business Bureau or FCC.

Is it a Sprint branded iPhone purchased from Sprint or Ringplus? Who is her current carrier?

Phone
    iPhone 6s
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like it doesn't meet their criteria for unlocking as listed on the link above.

The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days.

Feedback Score
    The phone was used for over two years - it was used on Sprint before my mom switched to RingPlus and then it was used on Ting for a while but she has cancelled service in early May and has since then just used it on wifi. It's frustrating because when I get through to someone from Sprint that doesn't ask me for an account number or is willing to help me without one they always say that the phone is unlocked - but it's not. When I put a different sim card in it shows that it's still locked to Sprint. Is there a reliable website I can use to get a third party unlock code? They seem to all be above $60 so I don't know .. I guess I can also sell her phone and get her another used one for her carrier but that'd be more expensive. The phone was bought from Apple but not as the sim-free version.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenie17 View Post
    It's frustrating because when I get through to someone from Sprint that doesn't ask me for an account number or is willing to help me without one they always say that the phone is unlocked - but it's not. When I put a different sim card in it shows that it's still locked to Sprint.
    Have you tried restoring the phone using itunes? We had to do this with a sprint 4s in order to unlock it. Make a back up, erase the phone and then restore from back up. Then we got a message that the phone was now unlocked. Might be worth a try.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Beenie17 View Post
    The phone was used for over two years - it was used on Sprint before my mom switched to RingPlus and then it was used on Ting for a while but she has cancelled service in early May and has since then just used it on wifi. It's frustrating because when I get through to someone from Sprint that doesn't ask me for an account number or is willing to help me without one they always say that the phone is unlocked - but it's not. When I put a different sim card in it shows that it's still locked to Sprint. Is there a reliable website I can use to get a third party unlock code? They seem to all be above $60 so I don't know .. I guess I can also sell her phone and get her another used one for her carrier but that'd be more expensive. The phone was bought from Apple but not as the sim-free version.
    Sprint might've unlocked it for international use only and not
    Domestic use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Sprint might've unlocked it for international use only and not
    Domestic use.
    Yes, they confirmed that it was unlocked for international use but I need it to be unlocked for domestic use as well. Whenever I contact them they just tell me that they're unable to help because my mom's account is not in their system. Ugh.

Feedback Score
    To find out whether the phone is unlocked or not you can always get a GSX report from an online site. You can also check your IMEI to see if it is actually CLEAN and can be unlocked as clean on ting official website, /byod.
    Try that and see how it goes, because if TING shows that the IMEI has unpaid bills, it means that it can't be unlocked as clean by SPRINT, in which case you will need a Premium unlock service.
    Good luck and I hope this helps.