Thread: Why does ATT want to save me money by giving up my gf UDP?Conspiracy Theories Welcome

Device(s)
    SE c905a (debranded baby!)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score

Why does ATT want to save me money by giving up my gf UDP?Conspiracy Theories Welcome

I have 2 lines on my account, both with gf UDP and unlimited talk and text. I am very tempted to switch to the new UDP plan to get hotspot, free Canada/Mexico, ability to add on family members but I am questioning ATT's motives. It's almost too good to be true (getting more with paying less) and wanted to make sure I got my facts straight before moving over. Primary reason I stayed with my GF plan was to get subsidized phones every 2 years but now my understanding is that no one gets those anymore? I am on a personal plan with FAN discount through my employer.

If it's all good then I will switch, just wanted to understand how ATT could be benefitting from me switching AND by giving me more stuff while charging me less money. If there is a reason, I'd like to know - if not then that's ok too. Knowledge is power...

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas View Post
    I have 2 lines on my account, both with gf UDP and unlimited talk and text. I am very tempted to switch to the new UDP plan to get hotspot, free Canada/Mexico, ability to add on family members but I am questioning ATT's motives. It's almost too good to be true (getting more with paying less) and wanted to make sure I got my facts straight before moving over. Primary reason I stayed with my GF plan was to get subsidized phones every 2 years but now my understanding is that no one gets those anymore? I am on a personal plan with FAN discount through my employer.

If it's all good then I will switch, just wanted to understand how ATT could be benefitting from me switching AND by giving me more stuff while charging me less money. If there is a reason, I'd like to know - if not then that's ok too. Knowledge is power...
    Then new plans don't include the Fan and the Unlimited Plus Plan also includes Free HBO and $25 off any AT&T TV service like Direct TV Direct TV Now or U-Verse. They're doing it because they're loosing customers to Verizon and T-Mobile now that every carrier has Unlimited, so I'd switch while it's available. I love my Unlimited Plus Plan and DirecTV service

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nicothetechguy View Post
    Then new plans don't include the Fan and the Unlimited Plus Plan also includes Free HBO and $25 off any AT&T TV service like Direct TV Direct TV Now or U-Verse. They're doing it because they're loosing LOSING customers to Verizon and T-Mobile now that every carrier has Unlimited, so I'd switch while it's available. I love my Unlimited Plus Plan and DirecTV service

While the new plan does not include FAN discounts, it does include military discounts. I'm not sure about ATT, but with VZW that includes veterans, who can produce their DD214 or some other form of proof. I think there may also be one or two other discounts available. If AT&T had offered this as soon as VZW did, instead of trying to fool us into complacency and insulting our intelligence by simply dropping the DirecTV requirement, they wouldn't have lost so many customers.

Feedback Score
    AT&T's motive is to end phone subsidies. After promotions last, 3 of my lines are free phones after monthly credit from promotions last year which were not available to GF plans.

Postpaid family plans became competitive with prepaid plans. My total cost is less than similar plans with Cricket. I do not consider ultra low priced cell phone plans requiring me to use open WiFi.

Device(s)
    SE c905a (debranded baby!)
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post
    AT&T's motive is to end phone subsidies. After promotions last, 3 of my lines are free phones after monthly credit from promotions last year which were not available to GF plans.

Postpaid family plans became competitive with prepaid plans. My total cost is less than similar plans with Cricket. I do not consider ultra low priced cell phone plans requiring me to use open WiFi.
    So does that mean I am still eligible for a phone subsidy? ATT told me that I am only eligible for an upgrade using Next and they were no longer doing subsidized phones ($199 for a 2 year contract)...

Device(s)
    Intel iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snvyas View Post
    So does that mean I am still eligible for a phone subsidy? ATT told me that I am only eligible for an upgrade using Next and they were no longer doing subsidized phones ($199 for a 2 year contract)...
    AT&T is correct. There are no more 2 year contracts on the new plans.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    PHONE SUBSIDY: You pay $40 per month line charge instead of $20 per month. For two years, that's $480 extra. Add that to the $200 to $300 upfront payment for the phone, and that subsidized phone cost you close to the retail price, while keeping you locked in for two years.
    Want a better deal and don't mind being locked in for two years? Look at the 50% off on the LG G6. Make Next payments of $30/month and get a credit of $15/month for 24 months (or $24.month for 30 months, credit $12/month). Net cost of $720 phone is $360.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 256GB Black/Verizon, iPhone 7 256GB Black/AT&T, iPhone 6s 128GB/T-Mobile
    Carrier(s)
    Nextel was a thriving culture within a company and Sprint SINGLE HANDILY DESTROYED IT.
    Feedback Score
    There is no conspiracy theory here. ONLY difference is no FANs, short of military, on the newer one. Still cheaper than your old setup more than likely anyway. No difference in plans, except for BEENFITS on the newer one (Mobile HotSpot, $25 TV credit and such). SWITCH.

Feedback Score

Why does ATT want to save me money by giving up my gf UDP?Conspiracy Theories...

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeJake View Post

I was getting phone subsidies through my FAN up until they came out with the new UDP. That's when it wasn't worth it for us to keep our 4 lines. We were getting subsidies once a year on each line.

Now we are on the old new UDP and get FAN discount but no subsidies.

Feedback Score
    Free phones after monthly credit are still available as limited time offerings. The iPhone 7 at launch was available for free after monthly credit over 2 years. I have 2 of those phones on my plan. The other free phone was from a regional promotion.

At other times gift cards up to $250 are offered with new phone purchase.

The phones free after credit were purchased with the DTV UDP.

Feedback Score
    Yeah I would switch. No subsidies but AT&T has various specials at times which will be like getting a subsidized phone. Like the buy one get one free iPhone or Galaxy offers they had. You would have to keep the service for 2 years but every month you would get a credit on your bill to cover the equipment costs. But the new unlimited plans are worth it imo.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, iPad Pro 12.9", Lumia 650, SpareOne
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-410
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes AT&T's newer plans are a better deal, both due to increased competition, different pricing structures, and the move away from contracts and device subsidies. There's a group of people that could run the numbers and still won't give up a grandfathered unlimited data plan because of the "what if" factor, even though at this point, there's no real advantage if it's more expensive.

Device(s)
    Iphone 6SPlus (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon. T-Mobile 1999-2009, RIP.
    Feedback Score
    I have been reading this forum and seen anecdotal evidence of grandfathered UDP customers getting subsidized phones (with the oldschool 2 year contracts) via retentions.

That would be a reason to keep the GF plan.

Anyone have that scenario work out for them recently?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blacknoi View Post
    I have been reading this forum and seen anecdotal evidence of grandfathered UDP customers getting subsidized phones (with the oldschool 2 year contracts) via retentions.

That would be a reason to keep the GF plan.

Anyone have that scenario work out for them recently?
    That worked for our 4 lines through retentions up until the old new UDP came in.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Sometimes AT&T's newer plans are a better deal, both due to increased competition, different pricing structures, and the move away from contracts and device subsidies. There's a group of people that could run the numbers and still won't give up a grandfathered unlimited data plan because of the "what if" factor, even though at this point, there's no real advantage if it's more expensive.
    My grandfathered UDP was $11 cheaper, even with the 25% FAN I use on the recently retired UDP , but it didn't include roaming in Mexico and Canada, unlimited messages, or International Day Pass. The compelling decision to switch was included roaming in Mexico, a country I visit frequently. For that , this was a no brainer for me. Its much cheaper and convenient in the long run to switch and use my AT&T line as I see fit in North America. If I can easily use my personal car in either in Mexico or Canada, or easily cross borders then it should be the same for my cellular service.