Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: poor speed in Yamhill County Oregon

Device(s)
    iPhones, Moto Series, (many)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildinsalem View Post
    I don't consider it "very" rural even. We are wine country and just barely outside the Portland Metroplex and between there and Salem! Why is it "this" bad in our area that's what I'm trying to understand from the high level. If I go to other neighboring areas my Verizon service is stunningly fast but horrid in my home county so what gives ?
    I doubt it would work, but invite them to build a site somewhere on your property. If they did, they'd start paying you rent.

Anyway, my earlier comment about you likely being able to re-use your existing phones stand. Depending on make and model, they'll likely work fine on ATT. You can get 1 working ATT line, and move the SIM across to test if desire be.

I'm not opposed to Verizon, I'm for whatever works...

-Dan

PS: I know first hand what you're talking about. It's the reason I carry both Verizon and ATT devices with me... Neither works well everywhere, and of course lots of places with no cell service period.
    ---
    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dalbrich
    Eugene, OR -- Pacific Northwest

Feedback Score
    Well everyone I talk to is hopping mad about the expensive yet slow Verizon situation! Even in town pathetic speeds ! 1AM to 6AM is the only time it works acceptable.

Feedback Score
    So I know they would technically "work" in the lock sense but is there anything that would make them work any less like not have all the right LTE bands the actual AT&T specific model phones would have?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    What specific phones do you have?

Feedback Score
    Don't laugh we have Kyocera Briagadiers a Galaxy S7 and an S3 and some iPad minis .... I ran into an issue with the S3 not activating whatsoever even in a voice sense. So that one we had to upgrade to a new device. But not too much an issue it was on its last legs anyway. The S7 activated okay but didn't connect in a data sense. I didn't have time to continue troubleshooting before the user needed to go do stuff. I just called tech support to go over why data wouldn't work she sent me a link for APN settings felt probably the issue. The next batch of devices we're bringing in are all the brigadiers I hope those will work. I realize no guarantee but most likely they will correct?

Feedback Score
    BUT omg I noticed a tremendous improvement all around on my iPhone 6S+ over Verizon! Verizon was completely useless in my whole county area even here in town itself terrible terrible terrible! I went from 1mbps down to 30+ pretty consistent in town itself and a huge improvement in the rural areas too. Though we did swap some spots where Verizon worked better that AT&T doesn't do so well but our home base area where we operate most of the time amazing improvement ! Thank You AT&T for rescuing us from awful Verizon!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score

ATT in Yamhill Co

You got it; there's places one works better than the other. Places I've been east of Salem, OR, often ATT "wins." Other ATT strong spots vs. Verizon is the cascade lakes region, some would argue in-town coverage in Portland, and they have good coverage in SW Oregon due to acquired affiliate Edge Wireless. Silver Falls, and Billy Chinook are available/good on ATT.

All of the phone models you mention will technically work on ATT if you move the SIM card, and as you guessed won't have the best band support. Multiple band support is mostly a deal for city-dwellers where capacity is an issue. And yeah, if you're only compatible band is 1900 PCS that's not ideal but the Brigidier has reasonable band support. The S3 is the only one you mention that may not work well.

Brigidier appears to be a micro-sim type. SIMs from carriers are typically free for existing customers. Anyway, see if you can take one of your active ATT SIMs and fit into your Verizon phones. If they correct size, should be easy to test. The phone will come up as ATT with its number automatically. Also, when you're talking multiple phones and especially for your business, you may get ATT going out of their way to accomodate you. i.e. you may qualify for business/corporate share plans and the like. You may also qualify for special pricing on phones.

Anyway, sounds like ATT is a fit for you. If you occassionally need Verizon coverage maybe keep a Verizon MiFi or one prepaid Verizon phone. That's pretty much what I do in reverse. My Verizon line is post-paid, and my ATT line is a cheaper variant for occasional use.
    The Eugene area is solid with Verizon-- and ATT has significant rural gaps (the entire Lorane valley). So similar deal in reverse.

-Dan

PS: Since this cellular stuff is kind of a hobby of mine, I carry devices from all 4 national carriers. Nothing beats first-hand experience and the maps often don't really tell you the actual story. My primary line is Verizon iPhone. Wife's is a modern Sprint iPhone. I personally own a couple prepaid devices from T-Mobile and ATT, but also can borrow post-paid devices easily. So I know what works where, at least for what I care.

Feedback Score
    Even customer service sense AT&T just seems more accommodating like we have an actual rep to talk to. Verizon was just call the 1-800 number and struggle with their incompetent call center. My last straw moment was when the "executive relations" rep. tried to pin their bad network on "kids out of school and people on vacation flooding the towers." That was the absolute final straw! To think their network is such crap that people's "fun and games" are impacting our business critically affect operations during the busiest time possible! Even the local AT&T rep saying yeah our tower is already far better and I'm working to put newer sectors up this and that and find out where your dead zones are and we'll address those as well. Verizon totally different complete apathy I don't care about you attitude !

Feedback Score
    We ended up getting all new equipment besides the Galaxy S7 an IPad and my iPhone. It does seem that Verizon does better in our actual huge city areas than AT&T. But in this county AT&T hands down not only better but enormous improvement!

Feedback Score
    Is att better than Verizon in all of the northwestern states or just in Oregon?

Feedback Score
    I think outside the actual big city areas and close to I5 AT&T is the winner in Washington and Oregon. Verizon is a big city carrier and only consumer oriented. Even in the customer service itself sense AT&T is so accommodating and caring for business customers. Verizon complete joke !

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek View Post
    Is att better than Verizon in all of the northwestern states or just in Oregon?
    It's location dependent, but in my experience AT&T has less coverage where I like it, Portland and the coast. They really get killed in Oregon on the root scores. Highway 26 is heavily travelled, and so far Verizon is the only one to cover it. I tweeted Mike siever of T-Mobile, promised it a year and a half ago, still nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeah i noticed that too Verizon lightning fast in the metro and unusable slow in all other areas. AT&T not as lightning fast all around but far better on average. Again Verizon big city carrier AT&T better all around everywhere else!

Feedback Score
    Apparently we've just traded bad for bad. Some of our farms have no / poor signal where Verizon did work well! Our main operation significant improvement but elsewhere is bad now. So frustrating ! Is there a good phone that can work on both at the same time?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wildinsalem View Post
    Apparently we've just traded bad for bad. Some of our farms have no / poor signal where Verizon did work well! Our main operation significant improvement but elsewhere is bad now. So frustrating ! Is there a good phone that can work on both at the same time?
    This mirrors my own experience (and why I carry devices from both). There are, perhaps impractical options, like carrying a phone from X, and a MiFi from Y where the phone is set to use the MiFi when available. Definitely no perfect options.

To me, there is literally a shocking amount of rural Oregon with no cellular service at all (or limited). I can drive 20 miles out of Eugene, in more than one direction and find no service on any carrier-- no kidding. Lots of those colored maps must assume folks don't drive into rural Oregon at all. Much of the coverage shown doesn't exist in a practical sense. If they show hill-tops and not valleys (where our roads are), I guess they mean available to low-flying aircraft...

-Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast