Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I know so many people who once used Sprint but now refuse to even consider them that a promotion like this would have bought a lot of goodwill with people. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but most people I know that used to have Sprint didn't leave because of coverage either.

I swore I'd never consider them again, and even I would come back and try them out if they allowed me to bring my own device and gave me a year of free service! Although like many of the other horror stories, I'm sure my purchased-outright Verizon iPhone 7 would somehow fail the FED check, or they would screw up the billing and I'd be paying full price for 6 months or something and just get soured even worse...

Again, I really want Sprint to compete, but no matter what they do they seem to get it all wrong. They should allow anyone with a compatible device (Sprint or otherwise) to port-in a number for a free year of service just to get their numbers up!
    Yes, Sprint has engaged in some rather low-down, dastardly deeds. E.g., Instinct forced plan changes, Premier, $10 Premium Data, Carrier IQ cover-up, firing customers, allowing Reps to take ownership of customer accounts and on and on.

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Looks pretty official and well thought out to be dropped after just a couple hours. Anyone think it'll come back at some point or that was it?

Feedback Score

Free Sprint Service for 1 year

This is sort of like the T-Mobile thing to buy out your iPhone and swap the Sim. Maybe marketing didn't think everything through so they took it down. Like wouldn't you have to pay taxes on free phone service, not sure why though.

As far as Sprint High Maintenance Customers, it was a two way street. Sprint messed up up your bill and then you hung on the phone for 3 hours till they adjusted it. So in a sense customers got trained to call in for promos and credits. Not sure if it was right to call in all the time to get deals, but they had some pretty awesome plans and credits for folks and it kept the customers loyal.

In contrast AT&T and Verizon throw you a bone every once in a while, but they don't mess up on your bill as much and they stand their ground on price.

Also remember the dropped call credit you could call in and get?

Device(s)
    iPhone X 256GB Space Gray
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Is it cheaper for Sprint to give away a year of voice/sms/data to someone (who wouldn't be a customer anyway) while claiming a new postpaid customer as opposed to paying off an EIP and/or offering hundreds in credits to switch?

The difference may just be the way cash is counted on their quarterly results.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    2 iPhones are better than one. Twice the fun. Ask anyone.
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by @TheRealDanny View Post
    Is it cheaper for Sprint to give away a year of voice/sms/data to someone (who wouldn't be a customer anyway) while claiming a new postpaid customer as opposed to paying off an EIP and/or offering hundreds in credits to switch?

The difference may just be the way cash is counted on their quarterly results.
    Yes but there is no locking the customer in via a lease or phone purchase, which has always been attached to every sprint offer. BYOD was downright difficult until this. The churn will be off the charts, like things "record numbers" are made of. First set in about a month as every scrambles to get out who can't do the service at all. Second set in a year when the promo expires and retention's is overloaded with people trying to "keep the same deal"

Feedback Score
    The welfare network)

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    The welfare network)
    Maybe so, but if I can save $150 a month or more for a year I'd do it.

Feedback Score
    The welfare network)
    Confused, why is this a desperation move, or a welfare move while tmobile paying out 800-1000 dollars to pay off someone's device for them to switch not the same? Both are done for the same reasons. Actually sprints deal protects sprint more than tmobiles protects tmobiles. As quite a few people have said with the tmobile promotion they were going to port over to tmobile,let tmobile pay off their device, then port right back to Verizon and take advantage of Verizons win back promos. With this deal from sprint you lose any incentive to port out to sprint and port back right away, you lose the free service. Overall not a bad deal and it's an interesting way to go about it instead of paying off a device. Will be interesting to see if it comes back.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    It reduces the consumer's perceived value of the product when you reduce the price or give it away for free.

But you are correct, it really was a genius promotion. It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as T-Mobile paying off expensive phones and people will actually stick around if they like the service.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    It reduces the consumer's perceived value of the product when you reduce the price or give it away for free.

But you are correct, it really was a genius promotion. It doesn't cost anywhere near as much as T-Mobile paying off expensive phones and people will actually stick around if they like the service.
    I've made this argument many times to tmobile users who counter with it is "pro consumer". It's weird that when sprint does it it's welfare orientated and desperation, yet tmobile gives away money, free lines, free data for life sims on iPads, all to increase customer count and it's looked at differently. They both are done for the same reasons and have the same goals and intentions behind it. It's just amusing how people try to make one different than the other in their mind to justify their choice of carrier. But I agree, if they make this an actual longer term promotion, say a month or so, it's a genius move. Even if half the people you sign up for it leave after a year, you really aren't out anything and you gained some customers that you never would of attracted in the first place. It's a no lose situation for them.

Feedback Score
    Terrible leadership, they haven't recovered from the Nextel takeover fail. They turned Nextel (lowest churn in the industry) to customers fleeing by the millions.
    The end result of nextel would of been the same with or without sprint. Not saying sprint was perfect in that at all, they made plenty of mistakes, but the biggest was actually buying nextel. The iden network was dying, needed millions spent on refarming that nextel was not going to spend, and nextel found a gullible partner in sprint to unload itself onto. Nextel would of died on it's own probably sooner if sprint didn't buy them, so the entire blame can't be put on sprint. If sprint didn't buy them some other gullible carrier would of and the end result would be the same and it would still go down as one of the worst mergers of all time. There was no good end result for nextel with anyone in control. Thinking about it, you can actually make the argument sprint tried to please those customers too much by keeping the iden network alive as long as they did. It should of been shut down asap, would of saved sprint billions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    The end result of nextel would of been the same with or without sprint.
    iDen didn't kill Southern Linc. I think if an entity like SoftBank would have invested in Nextel it could have turned out OK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    iDen didn't kill Southern Linc. I think if an entity like SoftBank would have invested in Nextel it could have turned out OK.
    I wouldn't call southern Linc thriving either. Iden was a dying technology when sprint bought nextel. It was fastly becoming a niche market used only for 2 way radio, everything else over iden was terrible, voice was awful, texting almost non existent it took so long to send and receive a text, data was unusable. Even now with southern Linc iden only is used for voice and 2 way, data is over lte. Even telus who used to cover a lot of Canada with iden decommissioned their network last year. There was no reason to keep a nationwide iden network. It was a dying technology. Sprint should of decommissioned it as soon as possible, if any other carrier would of got nextel that's what would of happened. If nextel stayed solo I believe their plan was even to switch to cdma going forward. Softbank really had nothing to do with the nextel merger. It is funny though, a lot of people look back fondly at nextel, me included it was my first carrier, but in reality the service was absolutely terrible lol.

Feedback Score
    Perception means a lot in business. Giving away a free year of service does reek of desperation, but I think the same of their 5 lines for $90 deal. It's great for the consumer if you can get a signal with Sprint but does it make long term business sense? I'd like to see some numbers of how many people who have those "half price" deals actually stay with Sprint when the promotion period ends.

Bottom line is it has to work. People malt forgive the occasional bad signal to save $$ but when I had Sprint, I was on "Extended 3G" most of the time. Or regular 3G if I was lucky. I felt like they should have been paying me to use the service- it wasn't even worth keeping if it was free because it just pissed me off every time I tried to use my phone. What they really need is some serious network expansion. All the promos in the world aren't going to get new customers if it's all Verizon roaming.

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 53 ... LastLast