Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 911

Thread: Free Sprint Service for 1 year

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    Perception means a lot in business. Giving away a free year of service does reek of desperation, but I think the same of their 5 lines for $90 deal. It's great for the consumer if you can get a signal with Sprint but does it make long term business sense? I'd like to see some numbers of how many people who have those "half price" deals actually stay with Sprint when the promotion period ends.

    Bottom line is it has to work. People malt forgive the occasional bad signal to save $$ but when I had Sprint, I was on "Extended 3G" most of the time. Or regular 3G if I was lucky. I felt like they should have been paying me to use the service- it wasn't even worth keeping if it was free because it just pissed me off every time I tried to use my phone. What they really need is some serious network expansion. All the promos in the world aren't going to get new customers if it's all Verizon roaming.
    What makes giving away 1000 dollars in service reek of any more desperation than giving away 1000 dollars to pay for a phone? Or, what makes 5 lines for 90 reek of any more desperation than 2 for 100 with your 3 and 4th line free? Because you use one carrier and not another? Again, people will always find ways to justify their carrier as "good" with great intentions yet, if another carrier makes a similar offer it's desperate and means they are just trying to buy customers. Always cracks me up trying to see people justify things differently. If sprint or any other carrier were to give away free data for life iPad subscriptions it would be desperation, their numbers would be called into question, they'd be ridiculed and made fun of, when tmobile does it it's pro consumer and shows that tmobile trusts the strength of their network!!!! Lol too funny.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0

    Free Sprint Service for 1 year

    I think it all reeks of desperation. T-Mobile's free lines they were hawking a couple months ago was particularly desperate because they get to count all those lines nobody wanted as new subscribers.

    I was at the T-Mobile store during that promotion dealing with another issue, and it was pathetic watching them push everyone who walked in the door out with a SIM card or two. But again, it's a win for the consumer so I guess there's no harm in it other than diluting their brand.

    Just saying, you don't see AT&T or Verizon giving away free service, ever.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    I think it all reeks of desperation. T-Mobile's free lines they were hawking a couple months ago was particularly desperate because they get to count all those lines nobody wanted as new subscribers.

    I was at the T-Mobile store during that promotion dealing with another issue, and it was pathetic watching them push everyone who walked in the door out with a SIM card or two. But again, it's a win for the consumer so I guess there's no harm in it other than diluting their brand.

    Just saying, you don't see AT&T or Verizon giving away free service, ever.
    I fully agree and have made this same argument numerous times lol it just amuses me the same people who argued against my argument that the tmobiles promotions are done out of desperation and just to artificially inflated their numbers are now the same people here calling this a desperate move, to artificially inflated sprints numbers lol just amusing to me.

    If anyone takes advantage of any of the promos great, save the money, won't bash a soul for doing it. Just not sure why people would see this promo any different than anything tmobile has ran in the past that they praised as innovative.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    548
    Feedback Score
    0

    Free Sprint Service for 1 year

    As far as the site taken down, they will probably relaunch it with something closer to the device buyout T-Mobile is offering. The "Free thing" idea, as was discussed here on the forums most likely did not go over well with someone higher up...Maybe Masayoshi Son didn't like it.

    Any way my theory is it will relaunch with revised details and restrictions.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    As far as the site taken down, they will probably relaunch it with something closer to the device buyout T-Mobile is offering. The "Free thing" idea, as was discussed here on the forums most likely did not go over well with someone higher up...Maybe Masayoshi Son didn't like it.

    Any way my theory is it will relaunch with revised details and restrictions.
    It's perception, yes the actual dollar amount night me be the same, but "free" service for a year just screams desperate versus paying one's phone off, jmho. I hadn't realized Sprint actually kept the Motorola iden network in commission until mid 2013, wow pretty bad foresight, it's like they had little in the way of planning the Nextel merger, 35 billion dollars! Remember Boost was the first $50 unlimited everything.on iden in 2009. I was one of them, all your could buy were Motorola phones and they were pretty basic! My we've come a long way, look what $50 does now , even on Verizon.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,780
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    What makes giving away 1000 dollars in service reek of any more desperation than giving away 1000 dollars to pay for a phone? Or, what makes 5 lines for 90 reek of any more desperation than 2 for 100 with your 3 and 4th line free? Because you use one carrier and not another? Again, people will always find ways to justify their carrier as "good" with great intentions yet, if another carrier makes a similar offer it's desperate and means they are just trying to buy customers. Always cracks me up trying to see people justify things differently. If sprint or any other carrier were to give away free data for life iPad subscriptions it would be desperation, their numbers would be called into question, they'd be ridiculed and made fun of, when tmobile does it it's pro consumer and shows that tmobile trusts the strength of their network!!!! Lol too funny.
    As others have noted, I think the free service looks desperate because there is no "contract" -- there is nothing to stop all the new "free" customers from switching to other carriers in July of 2018, after their year of free service.

    Buy One Get One (BOGO) phones don't seem as desperate since it locks the customer into a 2-year contract. Sure, they can pay it off and be free, but few people will do that. Additionally, they are typically done with the support of the phone manufacturer -- typically the manufacturer is giving a deal on the phones to the carrier -- which is why you occasionally see Verizon and AT&T do BOGO types of offers on phones.

    T-Mobile's offer to buy out Verizon phones does seem almost as desperate as Sprints -- though it is far less money. First, it is only a handful of phones, all of which are getting close to a year old. You can't get your Samsung Galaxy S8 paid off, and even the older phones have to have had at least 2 months of payments made on them, and even then the money to pay off the phone is going to be paid after the new customer has paid for his second month of service.

    I'm not sure what to think of T-Mobile's free lines. Yes, it does seem somewhat desperate but they only do it for a few days and, to get the free lines, the customer typically has to be on current plans; it is partially designed to move grandfathered customers onto the new T-Mobile One Plans. Additionally, again to compared Sprint, Sprint is still offering 3 free lines if you sign up for two lines -- and have been for a year or more.

    Of course, I don't think either Sprint or T-Mobile are worried about looking "desperate", or at least like "little brother." Even if they merged, they'd still have fewer customers than AT&T, much less Verizon. Both Sprint and T-Mobile have made large upgrades to their networks in the last few years; these programs, despite looking desperate, are designed to get people to try their networks. They know some of the people who try their service will find their networks "good enough" for the price they are paying, if not better in the areas they need service, and choose to stay.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    254
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    It's perception, yes the actual dollar amount night me be the same, but "free" service for a year just screams desperate versus paying one's phone off, jmho. I hadn't realized Sprint actually kept the Motorola iden network in commission until mid 2013, wow pretty bad foresight, it's like they had little in the way of planning the Nextel merger, 35 billion dollars! Remember Boost was the first $50 unlimited everything.on iden in 2009. I was one of them, all your could buy were Motorola phones and they were pretty basic! My we've come a long way, look what $50 does now , even on Verizon.
    I agree- that was my point as well, the perception of it. And the fact that they took it down pretty quickly probably illustrates that they realized it too. Why advertise it than pull it after a few hours. Makes it seem like they don't know what they're doing.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,263
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    As others have noted, I think the free service looks desperate because there is no "contract" -- there is nothing to stop all the new "free" customers from switching to other carriers in July of 2018, after their year of free service.

    Buy One Get One (BOGO) phones don't seem as desperate since it locks the customer into a 2-year contract. Sure, they can pay it off and be free, but few people will do that. Additionally, they are typically done with the support of the phone manufacturer -- typically the manufacturer is giving a deal on the phones to the carrier -- which is why you occasionally see Verizon and AT&T do BOGO types of offers on phones.

    T-Mobile's offer to buy out Verizon phones does seem almost as desperate as Sprints -- though it is far less money. First, it is only a handful of phones, all of which are getting close to a year old. You can't get your Samsung Galaxy S8 paid off, and even the older phones have to have had at least 2 months of payments made on them, and even then the money to pay off the phone is going to be paid after the new customer has paid for his second month of service.

    I'm not sure what to think of T-Mobile's free lines. Yes, it does seem somewhat desperate but they only do it for a few days and, to get the free lines, the customer typically has to be on current plans; it is partially designed to move grandfathered customers onto the new T-Mobile One Plans. Additionally, again to compared Sprint, Sprint is still offering 3 free lines if you sign up for two lines -- and have been for a year or more.

    Of course, I don't think either Sprint or T-Mobile are worried about looking "desperate", or at least like "little brother." Even if they merged, they'd still have fewer customers than AT&T, much less Verizon. Both Sprint and T-Mobile have made large upgrades to their networks in the last few years; these programs, despite looking desperate, are designed to get people to try their networks. They know some of the people who try their service will find their networks "good enough" for the price they are paying, if not better in the areas they need service, and choose to stay.
    As far as the tmobile paying less because of the devices being older, the iPhone 7 still retails for flagship prices. A 256gb iPhone 7 plus on Verizon is right around 1000 dollars. You subtract 2 months of 42 dollar payments it's still almost a 1000 dollars to pay off. It does get cheaper obviously the lower you go on the storage with the devices but the cheapest iPhone 7 is still 700 dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
    As others have noted, I think the free service looks desperate because there is no "contract" -- there is nothing to stop all the new "free" customers from switching to other carriers in July of 2018, after their year of free service.

    Buy One Get One (BOGO) phones don't seem as desperate since it locks the customer into a 2-year contract. Sure, they can pay it off and be free, but few people will do that. Additionally, they are typically done with the support of the phone manufacturer -- typically the manufacturer is giving a deal on the phones to the carrier -- which is why you occasionally see Verizon and AT&T do BOGO types of offers on phones.

    T-Mobile's offer to buy out Verizon phones does seem almost as desperate as Sprints -- though it is far less money. First, it is only a handful of phones, all of which are getting close to a year old. You can't get your Samsung Galaxy S8 paid off, and even the older phones have to have had at least 2 months of payments made on them, and even then the money to pay off the phone is going to be paid after the new customer has paid for his second month of service.

    I'm not sure what to think of T-Mobile's free lines. Yes, it does seem somewhat desperate but they only do it for a few days and, to get the free lines, the customer typically has to be on current plans; it is partially designed to move grandfathered customers onto the new T-Mobile One Plans. Additionally, again to compared Sprint, Sprint is still offering 3 free lines if you sign up for two lines -- and have been for a year or more.

    Of course, I don't think either Sprint or T-Mobile are worried about looking "desperate", or at least like "little brother." Even if they merged, they'd still have fewer customers than AT&T, much less Verizon. Both Sprint and T-Mobile have made large upgrades to their networks in the last few years; these programs, despite looking desperate, are designed to get people to try their networks. They know some of the people who try their service will find their networks "good enough" for the price they are paying, if not better in the areas they need service, and choose to stay.
    As far as the tmobile paying less because of the devices being older, the iPhone 7 still retails for flagship prices. A 256gb iPhone 7 plus on Verizon is right around 1000 dollars. You subtract 2 months of 40 dollar payments it's still almost a 1000 dollars to pay off. It does get cheaper obviously the lower you go on the storage with the devices but the cheapest iPhone 7 is still 650 dollars. Take away 2 payments of 27 dollars and...the money lost is still around the same. It doesn't make a difference if it's paid on the device or the service. Both companies are doing it with the same reasoning and intentions behind it. If one is desperate then that means the other is just as desperate. Then again you can make the argument that tmobile is actually spending more out of pocket and spending real money as opposed to sprint, who is just providing a service at a free cost and really wouldnt be out much at all out of pocket doing so. Even if a person stayed a whole year then ported out, sprint really didn't spend anything on them. They just didn't make anything on them either. If a person has tmobile pay off their iPhone then ports back to Verizon, tmobile actually lost real money.

    As far as tmobiles free lines, of course it can viewed just as desperate as people view sprints 5 for 90. What's amusing is the people who have 3 or 4 for 100 on tmobile will brag about it, yet look down on someone on sprint for having 5 for 90. What's the difference? There is none. If sprint works where someone is they are getting a much better deal at 5 for 90 than that tmobile customer is.


    Which brings up another point, tmobile users like to use the "as long as the network works where I am why should I care that they don't cover Montana or somewhere I won't go". Then they will bash sprint for not covering Montana and don't want to hear a sprint user make the same argument. That sprint works where they are and why would they care if it doesn't work everywhere. It's just amusing seeing the double standard people have when trying to justify their own purchases. The only difference in reality is they use tmobile over sprint, in their mind though, the difference is sprint is desperate and tmobile is "innovative". It's a complete joke, and really really amusing to read.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    548
    Feedback Score
    0

    Free Sprint Service for 1 year

    Anyone have success getting the deal online or by calling in? I suppose the way back machine proves it existed. This would however be a unique way to suggest a new feature to Sprint by starting a thread. Maybe I should start a new thread "Sprint will double its coverage area in 2017 and quadruple coverage in 2018."

    Wouldn't mind some real world feedback if this offer was for real while it was up.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,780
    Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, Nexus 5X
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    As far as the tmobile paying less because of the devices being older, the iPhone 7 still retails for flagship prices. A 256gb iPhone 7 plus on Verizon is right around 1000 dollars. You subtract 2 months of 42 dollar payments it's still almost a 1000 dollars to pay off. It does get cheaper obviously the lower you go on the storage with the devices but the cheapest iPhone 7 is still 700 dollars.

    As far as the tmobile paying less because of the devices being older, the iPhone 7 still retails for flagship prices. A 256gb iPhone 7 plus on Verizon is right around 1000 dollars. You subtract 2 months of 40 dollar payments it's still almost a 1000 dollars to pay off. It does get cheaper obviously the lower you go on the storage with the devices but the cheapest iPhone 7 is still 650 dollars. Take away 2 payments of 27 dollars and...the money lost is still around the same. It doesn't make a difference if it's paid on the device or the service.
    You missed my point. The point was, most people won't have just bought an iPhone 7 only 2 months ago -- most will have bought it between 6 and 9 months ago (when it was first released or for Christmas). And others won't have an iPhone 7, they'll have an iPhone 6S, or an SE. And others won't qualify at all, since they own a Samsung, LG, or HTC phone. The other difference is that this only applies to Verizon; which reports have indicated T-Mobile has had a hard time stealing customers from Verizon.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    Both companies are doing it with the same reasoning and intentions behind it. If one is desperate then that means the other is just as desperate. Then again you can make the argument that tmobile is actually spending more out of pocket and spending real money as opposed to sprint, who is just providing a service at a free cost and really wouldnt be out much at all out of pocket doing so. Even if a person stayed a whole year then ported out, sprint really didn't spend anything on them. They just didn't make anything on them either. If a person has tmobile pay off their iPhone then ports back to Verizon, tmobile actually lost real money.
    So, in a comparison, my guess is T-Mobile will likely pay about $400, on average, for the phones they pay off. If they didn't have the requirement that people had made two months of payments on a phone, I'm sure it would be higher, but that isn't allowed, and the promotion is unlikely to last two months. From what I know of the industry, a couple of years ago it cost carriers roughly $400 to attract a new customer -- in a combination of ads, promotions, etc. I'm guessing that number is higher today, as there are less people who don't have mobile service to attract; and also as the various carriers have become more aggressive in their promos. I suspect T-Mobile will claim the money they pay to attract customers from Verizon is worth it, and within the norms of what it costs to attract new customers.

    Now, you do have a point about Sprint not paying out cash, and that has some merit. OTOH, the issue Sprint could run into is that it could kill their ARPU (Average Return Per Unit) -- making their quarterly reports look even worse. I actually think this is worse, as their ARPU would remain low for the year. By contrast, for T-Mobile it would be a one time hit on their Q2 numbers (with some possibly in Q3) that would likely be labeled as "Promotions" or included in "Advertising." The other issue, and why I see Sprint as looking more desperate, is that giving their service away free devalues their brand -- as in there service is so poor they have to give it away.


    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    As far as tmobiles free lines, of course it can viewed just as desperate as people view sprints 5 for 90.
    And I can't agree, though I suppose it is up for debate. In Sprint's case, they are giving up to three lines free for over a year -- and you can (and could) sign up for it for at least a year (from what I recall of this promotion. By contrast, T-Mobile has twice offered a single free line, for those who have or sign up for their flagship plan, and each time the promotion lasted for a weekend (a long weekend). Of course, the difference with T-Mobile is that the line remains free so long as you don't make changes to your plan, it doesn't expire in a year.

    Quote Originally Posted by zeus4509 View Post
    What's amusing is the people who have 3 or 4 for 100 on tmobile will brag about it, yet look down on someone on sprint for having 5 for 90. What's the difference? There is none. If sprint works where someone is they are getting a much better deal at 5 for 90 than that tmobile customer is.


    Which brings up another point, tmobile users like to use the "as long as the network works where I am why should I care that they don't cover Montana or somewhere I won't go". Then they will bash sprint for not covering Montana and don't want to hear a sprint user make the same argument. That sprint works where they are and why would they care if it doesn't work everywhere. It's just amusing seeing the double standard people have when trying to justify their own purchases. The only difference in reality is they use tmobile over sprint, in their mind though, the difference is sprint is desperate and tmobile is "innovative". It's a complete joke, and really really amusing to read.
    The rest of this is meaningless for our conversation, in fact much of it appears to be a strawman. Personally, I hope both companies continue to be "desperate," as it tends to provide all of us better cell service at lower prices.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    9
    Feedback Score
    0
    This inter company war between SPRINT and Verizon may very well bring us some benefits, both companies need clients and the more the merry. So, if this is the way that we can get better pricing for services that are already too costly, this is great!!!

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    CMA003 (Chicagoland)
    Posts
    2,381
    Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    0

    Free Sprint Service for 1 year

    So, it looks like it's live again now?

    Edit: Just tried to check my IMEI and phone number and it won't let me click the button to continue after entering the requested information.

    I'll keep trying if they leave the page up this time.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    1,317
    Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    So, it looks like it's live again now?

    Edit: Just tried to check my IMEI and phone number and it won't let me click the button to continue after entering the requested information.

    I'll keep trying if they leave the page up this time.
    When I try it, the page comes up for a second and then goes to a bad link page.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,656
    Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just tested it couldn't get past this screen. I called the number and the rep had no clue what I was talking about

    After a few seconds it jumps to this screen


    Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,262
    Feedback Score
    0
    Where did it ever say at&t and T-Mobile were included?

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Best Free IPTV services for phone?
    By mase in forum Windows Mobile (Before 7)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2006, 04:53 PM
  2. Free star service for GM Roadside Assistance
    By mbourd25 in forum Rogers Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 11:52 PM
  3. What are the free star services for TELUS?
    By Nokia 6188 in forum TELUS Mobility
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-05-2002, 08:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks