Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast

Thread: Free Sprint Service for 1 year

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    ..... Sprint is paying nothing for this promotion. The customer pays all the taxes and fees associated with the plan. Sprint is just letting people use their network for free. ........
    Actually, there are per-user costs beyond the fixed costs for infrastructure. Every time someone makes a call there are connection charges. It costs to send SMS to other carriers. It's definitely a loss-leader for Sprint but free data roaming is a loss-leader for T-Mobile. So, what's the issue? T-Mobile lost money on some features and it doesn't seem to have hurt them. If this is a way to induce potential customers to try out Sprint and if some of them decide to stick around, it could work out for them.
    Donald Newcomb

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Actually, there are per-user costs beyond the fixed costs for infrastructure. Every time someone makes a call there are connection charges. It costs to send SMS to other carriers. It's definitely a loss-leader for Sprint but free data roaming is a loss-leader for T-Mobile. So, what's the issue? T-Mobile lost money on some features and it doesn't seem to have hurt them. If this is a way to induce potential customers to try out Sprint and if some of them decide to stick around, it could work out for them.
    Even beyond Sprint, consumers should hope promotions like this work. It forces the other carriers to adjust their own offerings. If they notice a significant loss to Sprint they will react. It may not be free service for a year, but they will react somehow. Even if someone doesnt want to use Sprint or won't use Sprint for their own personal reasons, they shouldn't hope promotions like this fail. They should hope a lot of people sign up and then their carrier of choice is forced to react to the offer. You want the carriers to be afraid you will leave for better offers. That's the only way they ever react is when they are afraid of losing customers. If not and everyone gets complacent again we go back to 200 minutes and 1000 texts for $75.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    This promotion costs less than the payoff promotions that they all have run in the past, and doesn't take an actual cash upfront payment on the part of Sprint. People switched to T-mobile and Sprint both in the past, stayed three months to get their phones paid off or ETF reimbursed at sometimes more than $1000, and then left took their free and clear new iPhones to prepaid.

It is very intelligent and costs less to do it this way, if you leave, you cost them nothing. It is not desperation.
    I don't feel like a thread-killer...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirt View Post
    This promotion costs less than the payoff promotions that they all have run in the past, and doesn't take an actual cash upfront payment on the part of Sprint. People switched to T-mobile and Sprint both in the past, stayed three months to get their phones paid off or ETF reimbursed at sometimes more than $1000, and then left took their free and clear new iPhones to prepaid.

It is very intelligent and costs less to do it this way, if you leave, you cost them nothing. It is not desperation.
    It devalues the brand, doesn't matter, it's perception. Here take this Chevy Malibu free for a year while a base Toyota Camry sells for $20,000 .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    It devalues the brand, doesn't matter, it's perception. Here take this Chevy Malibu free for a year while a base Toyota Camry sells for $20,000 .
    Perception from whom? The people getting free service for a year and happy they don't have a cell phone bill? Or the perception from people who hate everything and would actually complain if Chevy gave them a free malibu. If Chevy offers you a free car, I'd have a feeling your perception of Chevy wouldn't be bad. Another poster here posted last night he was loyal to T-Mobile because he took an offer where T-Mobile paid him $1000 to switch all his lines, that's a great deal. Some would call that devaluing the brand, buying a customer, in that customers eyes it gave T-Mobile his loyalty as a customer. Perception is a funny thing. What one perceived as devaluing the brand, another can percive a totally opposite way.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Perception from whom? The people getting free service for a year and happy they don't have a cell phone bill? Or the perception from people who hate everything and would actually complain if Chevy gave them a free malibu. If Chevy offers you a free car, I'd have a feeling your perception of Chevy wouldn't be bad. Another poster here posted last night he was loyal to T-Mobile because he took an offer where T-Mobile paid him $1000 to switch all his lines, that's a great deal. Some would call that devaluing the brand, buying a customer, in that customers eyes it gave T-Mobile his loyalty as a customer. Perception is a funny thing. What one perceived as devaluing the brand, another can percive a totally opposite way.
    After that first year what if Verizon and at&t have $60 plans, the market is so saturated that all they're ALL doing is swapping customers. But you're right, if it works for you, take the year for free, that's a decent chunk of change.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    After that first year what if Verizon and at&t have $60 plans, the market is so saturated that all they're ALL doing is swapping customers. But you're right, if it works for you, take the year for free, that's a decent chunk of change.
    Correct, I would say Verizon and At&t even having $60 plans right now shows competition works. Why should a consumer care what a companies bottom line is? I see people try to argue all the time against using a carrier because of things like how much debt they carry. That's got to be one of the dumbest arguments against taking a deal that could benefit you. Are they trying to talk someone out of investing in the company or using them for a service provider? If it means better deals for consumers let them swap customers all the time. Let them be afraid people will leave, if it means ultimately consumers win, who cares what their bottom line numbers are. That's for the executive teams and investors to worry about. As a consumer I'm worried about my bottom line. All of these carrier would charge a lot more for service if they could get away with it. Every last one of them would love to charge over $100 a line. With each company though afraid to lose market share and not gain any they can't. With each one afraid that a promo another carrier offers will lead to a significant loss of users, they can't charge what they want. Instead they have to react with better deals for consumers. Let that continue. We win in the end. Being upset over them offering this promo because you either don't use them, or use someone else is kind of crazy. It would be like a Samsung fan being mad that apple lowered the prices on their new upcoming iPhones. Even if your a Samsung fan why would you be upset? All it means is when the new flagship Samsung's come out Samsung will lower the price on them to compete. Embrace competition. Even if you will never use Sprint because of any personal reason you have, embrace promos like this, it only leads to better offers from the carrier you do use.
    Last edited by dave1102; 06-19-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by elrod View Post
    Good deal. Please keep us updated. WIFI calling is a must!
    Called in tonight, got it escalated. Supposed to get a call back within 24 hours, but we all know what that usually means with any carrier.

Some folks over on slickdeals are having the same issue and also got tickets escalated so hopefully Sprint will resolve the issue quickly or give us some kind of status update.

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Called in tonight, got it escalated. Supposed to get a call back within 24 hours, but we all know what that usually means with any carrier.

Some folks over on slickdeals are having the same issue and also got tickets escalated so hopefully Sprint will resolve the issue quickly or give us some kind of status update.
    Thanks for the update. I am hearing from more and more people that wifi calling is not working on this free plan. Perhaps they coded it that way intentionally. That's the deal breaker for me. I'll pass.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    A friend got the plan and it's not working on his either

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    It makes no sense why they would do that. Hopefully, they'll get it fixed.

Device(s)
    Moto G, Novatel 7730L, ZTE Mobley, StarTAC
    Carrier(s)
    Viaero, Commnet, VZW, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I am so glad this promotion is active. Lets hope there are no more mergers.

Device(s)
    IPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ill123 View Post
    iPhone 7, galaxy s8, iPhone 6s+ wifi calling NOT working on any of them.
    Thanks for the info. That's too bad. I am thinking Sprint deleted wifi calling as part of the deal.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

Free Sprint Service for 1 year

I really don't think they'd be stupid enough to delete such a common and popular feature, especially on iPhones. Although it is Sprint we're talking about.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll fix it eventually, but seeing as I don't rely on Wi-Fi calling it's a non issue to me either way. A nice perk, but not a deal breaker when the service is free!

Device(s)
    iPhone6S
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Free Sprint Service for 1 year

I'm a previous Sprint customer and today I switched from Verizon. I was able to use my old sim that I used about a year ago from when I was a previous customer. I called in because it had errors online, went through the credit check, gave them my Verizon info and my SIM card number. It took about 15 minutes for my number to port over. Typical Sprint added insurance after I declined it so I had to get that fixed. As far as coverage here in Alabama, there hasn't been any improvements in the last couple of year from what I can see. But I'll rather pay $5 vs $85 any day. I can confirm wifi calling does not work. Either Sprint forgot this feature when coding this plan or it was intentionally left off. Hopefully my first bill will be smooth sailing from here. The only thing that concerns me is getting the iPhone 8. I'm either going to buy the iPhone in full or lease it from Sprint. Either way I hope this doesn't mess up my plan in the long run after October 1st.
    TheTechKing

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 LastLast