Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Feedback Score

Car Charger Recommendation for IPhone 5

I have an IPhone 5 and drive a Mazda-3 with 2 USB ports and a socket for a cigarette lighter.
    I use a non-Apple lightning cable to charge the phone using one of the USB ports.
    With Bluetooth, Location Services and the Waze GPS app running on the phone, I find that the charge level of the battery holds its' own and does not vary up or down.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a car charger that is available for Canada that would actually increase my battery charge level with the above running?
    I would prefer a device with 2 USB ports.
    Thank you in advance.
    Regards,

Allan C.

Feedback Score
    I think the Anker brand makes a low profile twin USB charger with two, 2.4amp charge ports. Amazon.com for about $7 on sale.

Phone
    iPhone 6
    Carrier
    Verizon Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Don't worry about non apple charging cable would harm your phone, I used one from Sam's Club I bought, it much sturdy than the apple one, the apple one can go south after a while. I will never buy a apple charging cable again. So far my cable is charging the phone without any problem, no fire, no explosion

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daleraver View Post
    I think the Anker brand makes a low profile twin USB charger with two, 2.4amp charge ports. Amazon.com for about $7 on sale.
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    Lots of selection - like going into a supermarket and there are rows and rows of peanut butter and you cannot make a decision which one to buy.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Don't worry about non apple charging cable would harm your phone, I used one from Sam's Club I bought, it much sturdy than the apple one, the apple one can go south after a while. I will never buy a apple charging cable again. So far my cable is charging the phone without any problem, no fire, no explosion
    I was worried actually that the phone would dumb down the charging system since the cable was not genuine.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allanc View Post
    I have an IPhone 5 and drive a Mazda-3 with 2 USB ports and a socket for a cigarette lighter.
    I use a non-Apple lightning cable to charge the phone using one of the USB ports.
    With Bluetooth, Location Services and the Waze GPS app running on the phone, I find that the charge level of the battery holds its' own and does not vary up or down.
    Does anyone have a suggestion for a car charger that is available for Canada that would actually increase my battery charge level with the above running?
    I would prefer a device with 2 USB ports.
    Thank you in advance.
    A quick Google suggests the Mazda 3 has only 500 mA USB ports. Get an accessory charger that puts out at least 1000 mA. This Anker is highly recommended, and is $12.99 CAD:
    https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-PowerDri...2Bcharger&th=1
    The 2.4 A output won't be useful in an iPhone 5, but the bigger iPhones and the iPad can use the higher current, so this is a future-proof purchase. And, just in case you were wondering, the higher current won't hurt your iPhone 5 - it's smart enough not to draw over 1 A.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
    A quick Google suggests the Mazda 3 has only 500 mA USB ports. Get an accessory charger that puts out at least 1000 mA. This Anker is highly recommended, and is $12.99 CAD:
    Thank you very much for the explanation and suggestion.

Feedback Score
    The 2.4 A output won't be useful in an iPhone 5, but the bigger iPhones and the iPad can use the higher current, so this is a future-proof purchase. And, just in case you were wondering, the higher current won't hurt your iPhone 5 - it's smart enough not to draw over 1 A.
    The iPhone will use 2.4 amps and the iPad charger is approved by Apple for use with it. I've used apps on iPhones that show charge current (ma) and that has confirmed they will charge safely at rates above 1 amp. They will charge much faster, and safely.

Quote from Apple iPhone accessory page for 12 watt (iPad) charger.

"Use this compact and convenient USB-based power adapter to charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector at home, on the road, or whenever it's not connected to a computer."

Every iPhone made is listed as safe for use with this charger.

Feedback Score
    I think that I may need a low-profile charger.
    My accessory slot is in the center arm rest.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The iPhone will use 2.4 amps and the iPad charger is approved by Apple for use with it. I've used apps on iPhones that show charge current (ma) and that has confirmed they will charge safely at rates above 1 amp. They will charge much faster, and safely.

Quote from Apple iPhone accessory page for 12 watt (iPad) charger.

"Use this compact and convenient USB-based power adapter to charge your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with Lightning connector at home, on the road, or whenever it's not connected to a computer."

Every iPhone made is listed as safe for use with this charger.
    The OP's iPhone 5 can not draw over 1 A.

You may recall that it was BIG NEWS when the iPhone 6 came out and people discovered that the 6, and the 6 Plus, could use the 2.4 A current of the iPad charger.

Feedback Score
    The OP's iPhone 5 can not draw over 1 A.

You may recall that it was BIG NEWS when the iPhone 6 came out and people discovered that the 6, and the 6 Plus, could use the 2.4 A current of the iPad charger.
    Actually I don't, but Is there any reference to this perhaps on the Apple website? I do recall that the first few iPad Chargers (2010+) were only 2.1A vs. the current 2.4A. Those work on all iPhones also. I've had every model since the 3G.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Actually I don't, but Is there any reference to this perhaps on the Apple website? I do recall that the first few iPad Chargers (2010+) were only 2.1A vs. the current 2.4A. Those work on all iPhones also. I've had every model since the 3G.
    Apple has never publicly acknowledged that the iPhone 6 and newer can use 2.4A of current. It has been reported in numerous reliable sources, such as:
    https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/iphon...ster-charging/

The conspiracy theorists (including me ) believe Apple has not acknowledged the change so they don't have to explain why they are still shipping 1 A chargers with iPhones that can use 2.4 A. The closest they've come to saying anything, at least in a quick Google, is this:

"Using an Apple 12W or 10W USB power adapter can charge some Apple devices and accessories faster than a 5W power adapter."
    https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

Note the use of the word "some". A greater than 1 A charger won't charge the 5S or older (or the SE) any faster.

BTW, those apps that show charging current show what's being supplied to the iPhone, not the current being drawn. The app I use, "Battery Life," even calls it "Max Charger Current." To find that out the current the phone is actually drawing, you'll need a USB power meter.

And as I pointed out in my first post, and you confirmed with your quote, it's perfectly safe to use a charger capable of supplying more current than an iPhone will use.

I've only had every other iPhone since the 3G. I think my current 7 Plus is the best, but the 3G was the most exciting.

Phone
    iPhone 7 Plus 128 GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by allanc View Post
    I think that I may need a low-profile charger.
    My accessory slot is in the center arm rest.
    The Amazon page I cited says:
    "Compact Design: One of the industry's smallest ever USB car chargers, featuring two USB ports and an LED light for after dark. "

However, to be sure, I'd suggest you visit one of the Mazda forums and ask for a recommendation for your specific Mazda, to insure getting a good match for your car.

Feedback Score
    The Amazon page I cited says:
    "Compact Design: One of the industry's smallest ever USB car chargers, featuring two USB ports and an LED light for after dark. "

However, to be sure, I'd suggest you visit one of the Mazda forums and ask for a recommendation for your specific Mazda, to insure getting a good match for your car.
    Good advice. Tks.

Feedback Score
    Apple has never publicly acknowledged that the iPhone 6 and newer can use 2.4A of current. It has been reported in numerous reliable sources, such as:
    https://9to5mac.com/2014/09/22/iphon...ster-charging/

The conspiracy theorists (including me ) believe Apple has not acknowledged the change so they don't have to explain why they are still shipping 1 A chargers with iPhones that can use 2.4 A. The closest they've come to saying anything, at least in a quick Google, is this:

"Using an Apple 12W or 10W USB power adapter can charge some Apple devices and accessories faster than a 5W power adapter."
    https://www.apple.com/power-adapters/

Note the use of the word "some". A greater than 1 A charger won't charge the 5S or older (or the SE) any faster.

BTW, those apps that show charging current show what's being supplied to the iPhone, not the current being drawn. The app I use, "Battery Life," even calls it "Max Charger Current." To find that out the current the phone is actually drawing, you'll need a USB power meter.

And as I pointed out in my first post, and you confirmed with your quote, it's perfectly safe to use a charger capable of supplying more current than an iPhone will use.

I've only had every other iPhone since the 3G. I think my current 7 Plus is the best, but the 3G was the most exciting.
    I actually have an SE in addition to my 7+, and I'd swear it charges faster with my iPad & car charger. I do have an in line meter for USB, so I'll try and get a reading for actual rate from it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast