Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too good to be true for $10 5GB/150 day data plan

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Too good to be true for $10 5GB/150 day data plan

After selling my old ATT iPad plan last weekend, I ended up deciding I would try out T-Mobile, since there is a $20 plan for 2GB/month. $10 cheaper than I was paying for my old ATT plan, and enough data for normal usage.

When activating SIM, I saw the above plan, and decide for $10 cheaper for more data, it was worth trying.

What are the down sides? If I run out of data after 2 months, can I renew? Or is it one time only?y

So far, at home, I'm only getting 4G with my iPad Mini 4, but I'll use Wi-Fi there. Had over 9mb/sec download speed anyway. the iPad mini 4 only supports 2 of TMobile's 4 LTE bands, 2 and 4, so maybe at my home, neither supports LTE? Or Tmobile only shows 4G on the iPad.
    I now have the 7+, continuing my pattern of buying every other iPhone generation.

Feedback Score
    AT&T recently came out with an unlimited tablet plan for $30 for 30 days which is a good price too. However, this plan does not include hotspot.

On the t-mobile website they don't show a $10 5 GB plan for 150 days so it might be a sale price.

I would consider switching from a phone to a tablet for either of those deals; however, it is not as convenient to carry around a tablet.

I hate all the different prices for how data is used. You have different prices for phone, tablet, phone with hotspot, tablet with hotspot. How many ways can they market the data at different prices.

If you run out of data it will most likely prompt you to buy more data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I didn't know about it until I saw it on the iPad menus. So, for $20.90, I can see if the plan works for me. Places like lunch at work, or doctor's offices.

With the unlimited plan, it didn't matter if I downloaded app updates, or magazines (zinio) on cellular. And if in some area T-Mobile isn't supported, I still have my phone with it's supported hotspot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad4cell View Post
    AT&T recently came out with an unlimited tablet plan for $30 for 30 days which is a good price too. However, this plan does not include hotspot.

On the t-mobile website they don't show a $10 5 GB plan for 150 days so it might be a sale price.

I would consider switching from a phone to a tablet for either of those deals; however, it is not as convenient to carry around a tablet.

I hate all the different prices for how data is used. You have different prices for phone, tablet, phone with hotspot, tablet with hotspot. How many ways can they market the data at different prices.

If you run out of data it will most likely prompt you to buy more data.
    Confusing post..

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    At least I'm getting LTE now. Or at least labeled LTE on screen. Carrier update.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Is there any way to purchase this plan without an iPad?

Does anybody know if the SIM would work in an unlocked, non-carrier branded cell phone?

Feedback Score
    I can't find anything about this elusive plan, the only plan besides the 30 day ones I see is a 24 hr pass 500mb.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I don't know. When I first tried to look it up, I got conflicting reports about whether people would be able to renew it or not. Possibly it is more of a promo plan, since why signup for the $20/2GB plan for 1 month if you could sign up for the $10/5GB for 150 days, and renew if you used up the data in 1 month. (over twice the data for 1/2 the price).

I've already used 587MB in the last couple weeks, more than I thought I would be since I disabled certain data hungry usages (like zinio and app store) from using cellular data. When I had unlimited, it didn't matter.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Oh, so the $10 5GB/150 day plan is still available?

I thought it was part of the Free Data For Life promo T-Mobile had going and then discontinued recently.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It was available on the 10th when I signed up for it. After I had heard that the free 200MB/month offer was no longer offered to new people.

According to this thread from 2016: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...gb-150-days-10
    it was only offered to select iPad models. But would work if sim moved to another tablet.

I just logged into my account, the fine print says "5 GB for 5 Months: Available on select devices as one-time offer at activation only. 5GB of data is available until depleted or 5 months from date of activation of pass, whichever comes first. "

So, if true, I'll just go with the $20/month plan. Which I had originally decided to signup for until I saw this. So far service has been good enough for my needs.

Feedback Score
    I have bought this exact pass three times on my iPad Air 2, with the most recent success in May. So I don't think they really enforce that one-time restriction.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Able to renew directly? Let lapse? Alternate with another plan?

Feedback Score
    The at&t unlimited $30 LTE tablet plan is awesome so far, even with unlimited I always hesitate using a lot of data, I'm not as conservative, but I don't want them to take it away!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Is there any way to purchase this plan without an iPad?

Does anybody know if the SIM would work in an unlocked, non-carrier branded cell phone?
    It was possible as I signed up for it with a Samsung tablet. However, you could sign up for it with any tablet that would work on the T-Mobile network.

However, the 200mb/month, Free Data For Life has been discontinued.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/8/15...ife-deal-ended

This was the best deal ever. Especially the 5gb/150day for $10 data deal!
    Last edited by batcave; 06-22-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    For over a week between plans (and while waiting for SIM) I went the route of connecting through my phone hotspot. Less than ideal since, after inactivity, the hotspot would turn off and I would have to trigger it back on. An inconvenience, but one of the benefits of a cellular tablet is just being able to quickly grab and use.

But now that I have finally had the option to get the plan that I need at any time, and save money, I'm taking advantage of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast