Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too good to be true for $10 5GB/150 day data plan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    For over a week between plans (and while waiting for SIM) I went the route of connecting through my phone hotspot. Less than ideal since, after inactivity, the hotspot would turn off and I would have to trigger it back on. An inconvenience, but one of the benefits of a cellular tablet is just being able to quickly grab and use.

But now that I have finally had the option to get the plan that I need at any time, and save money, I'm taking advantage of it.
    True, I had my TMobile phone Sim in my at&t tablet for a couple weeks and loved it, since I don't talk on the phone much, and already had another voice line, but T-mobile had a picture, imei on my account page of my exact tablet , so they were able to identify at&t equipment. The next day TMobile blocked the Sim.

Feedback Score
    What are the down sides? If I run out of data after 2 months, can I renew? Or is it one time only?
    I purchased this offer three times. On my second purchase of this plan, I bought two and discovered the offers stacked! The data for both purchases did NOT deplete concurrently. However, once the second plan kicked in, the purchase was already 140 days old. On the 151st day, T-Mobile cut off the data and completely disabled the SIM. Unusable! No re-activation. And exactly zero help about it in a T-Mobile store. As it turns out, you have to make a purchase on the account at least once every 12 months. So I'm currently trying this: new iPad, new SIM, initially activated to the Free Data for Life offer (I got in under the discontinuation date). Then occasionally adding the 150-day pass.

It appears you can keep purchasing the offer as long as it shows up for you as a day pass option!

Feedback Score
    Less than ideal since, after inactivity, the hotspot would turn off and I would have to trigger it back on.
    I wonder if there is a way to just make it stay on?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Have you tried any separate hotspot apps? I use one called Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot by Core Technology.

Feedback Score
    I bought a cheap T-mobile phone just to hotspot with, it has all the bands, 2,4,12 and stays on when idle, same price or cheaper than average stand alone h/s, don't know if they're made to do this but it seems to work fine.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    It depends on the OS/app, etc. The followup posts mentioned cases where it did stay on.
    I gave into temptation, and bought the iPhone X, even though I had a perfectly good, though oversized, 7+.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I finally ran out of my 5GB of data after 3 months. I was able to renew, though I had to power cycle my iPad to get it to work.

The only "problem" is no roaming. Last month, when I was in areas that T-Mobile didn't cover, I couldn't roam in Wyoming and Nebraska.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think my usage had gone up, but apparently I've used 3.4GB in Safari in the last month, so I got the 20% warning. It allowed me to renew yet again, and shows pending.

$10/month is still cheaper than the other alternatives I know for 4+GB. And performance at work during lunch hours is better than my Verizon phone. The Wi-Fi at work has to be logged into by username/password, and I don't see that my employer needs to see the news sites, etc, that I visit.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    Smartel/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I didn't think my usage had gone up, but apparently I've used 3.4GB in Safari in the last month, so I got the 20% warning. It allowed me to renew yet again, and shows pending.

$10/month is still cheaper than the other alternatives I know for 4+GB. And performance at work during lunch hours is better than my Verizon phone. The Wi-Fi at work has to be logged into by username/password, and I don't see that my employer needs to see the news sites, etc, that I visit.
    If I wanted to sign up for this, do I get the prepaid mobile data sim card, or the non-prepaid one? I have an iPad Air 2.

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ERR11CC View Post
    If I wanted to sign up for this, do I get the prepaid mobile data sim card, or the non-prepaid one? I have an iPad Air 2.

Thanks in advance.
    This was an introductory deal as part of the 200mb/month free data for life offer. Unfortunately T-Mobile killed it back in May of this year.

Feedback Score
    Partially true. The $10/5gb offer appeared around the same time as the “free data for life” 200mb offer was made available. The 5gb is a day pass, good for 150 days, or whenever the 5gb was used up, whichever came first. It was available on select tablets, most notably the iPad. You could buy multiples and the passes would stack. The 150 days day pass remained for most eligible tablets after “free data for life” was discontinued. It still appears as a purchase option on my 9.7” iPad Pro. I also still receive the 200mb as I activated free data for life just hours before it was discontinued. Bonus: Music Freedom was included, so music streaming didn’t count against the 5gb. And for me, it also roamed in Canada at full speed unthrottled LTE on every compatible carrier there without additional cost.
    Last edited by anthonysjenning; 10-25-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 Duos
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Too good to be true for $10 5GB/150 day data plan

Yes you can't sign up anymore, but if you had it before and the account is still active, it still works. The $10/5gb deal was meant to be a one time deal, according to the fine print, but it seems to be renewable.
    Last edited by batcave; 10-26-2017 at 09:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2