Thread: Coming from Straight Talk...a few questions

Feedback Score

Coming from Straight Talk...a few questions

If someone is currently on the 45.00 Straight Talk plan, what all would they need to do to put their phone on H2o service?

I'm trying to find a cheaper plan for someone else. They have Straight Talk currently and have for about the last 4 years. All they do is buy a 45.00 plan each month and all is good and easy....no surprises with rate increases or paying taxes, etc.

I'm thinking she may do well on the 3G plan for 27.00 (went on recharge). If she went on this plan and found out it was not enough data, how would that be handled if she was on recharge? Would they just call in to change to the 8gb plan for 36.00?

I'm reading a lot about text messages at end of the plan that nag you to refill or whatever. I've read that many complain about this and no way to opt out of them. Also you get voice notices before trying to place a call? These might be deal breakers for her.

If she were to sign up for the 3gb or 8gb plan, what are the chances these prices go up? Or are these prices good for say a year or so? With Straight Talk she pays 45 and had for a good while. I'm on PagePlus and pay 29.95 and have for the past 8 years or so.

Sorry for all the questions but considering H2O or Cricket or maybe it's best she stick with Straight Talk.

If she were to move to H2O, what all would she need to do to port her line over? She'd need a new sim? What would it cost her to switch? Any taxes, fees?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I'm reading a lot of about text messages at end of the plan that nag you to refill or whatever. Also you get notices before trying to place a call? These might be deal breakers for her.
    Since these monthly nags to renew are indeed part of the service and not configurable or bypassable, perhaps you should check with the potential customer to find out whether these are dealbreakers?

If she were to move to H2O, what all would she need to do to port her line over? She'd need a new sim? What would it cost her to switch? Any taxes, fees?
    Cheapest way to go is to buy a SIM, either with or without with a month of service on eBay or in a pack of 2 at WalMart online.

To port, she would need to fill out a web form at H2O after activating the account, to begin the porting process. She must make sure on activation NOT to accept a phone number from H2O, or that number will be assigned to the SIM and she won't be able to use that SIM with her ported number. One of the trickiest pieces of information she will need to supply is the account number from her current account, which may or may not be her phone number. Best to look that up at Straight Talk before beginning the process of porting.

I'm on the $40/month plan with auto pay. This month, my credit card was debited exactly $36 (with the 10 percent discount for auto pay). No additional taxes or fees were included.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    Since these monthly nags to renew are indeed part of the service and not configurable or bypassable, perhaps you should check with the potential customer to find out whether these are dealbreakers?

Cheapest way to go is to buy a SIM, either with or without with a month of service on eBay or in a pack of 2 at WalMart online.

To port, she would need to fill out a web form at H2O after activating the account, to begin the porting process. She must make sure on activation NOT to accept a phone number from H2O, or that number will be assigned to the SIM and she won't be able to use that SIM with her ported number. One of the trickiest pieces of information she will need to supply is the account number from her current account, which may or may not be her phone number. Best to look that up at Straight Talk before beginning the process of porting.

I'm on the $40/month plan with auto pay. This month, my credit card was debited exactly $36 (with the 10 percent discount for auto pay). No additional taxes or fees were included.
    Thank you so much for the info. The monthly nagging has me a bit worried I have to admit. How bothersome is it for you?

Presently I'm researching H2O and Cricket. I see on Cricket you can join a family plan and save 20.00 a month so that would be something to consider too but again, I don't know how much a headache that would be to join a family plan and not 'know' the other members of your family. lol Straight Talk has no hassles at all so it's either don't save money and stick with Straight Talk, or save about 9 and have monthly nagging reminders to refill even if you are signed up to refill anyway, or save 20.00 and join a Cricket family group. decisions, decisions.

Thanks again.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Nagging reminders? They send you a text towards the end of the month and when you make a call (not all calls) they tell you that your plan is about to expire. Usually happens when you are a couple days from your expiration date. I am on Red Pocket and they do the same thing.

Hardly nagging.

When you run out of high speed data, you get slow data. You can always call in to change rate plans if you wish.

You also need to make sure that your phone is unlocked or the phone in use is AT&T compatible.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure, Nexus 5, Moto G 2015
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    The "nag" on my device is annoying but hardly a deal breaker... About 5-7 days before expiration (even with auto renewal) you will get ONE recording per day with your first outbound phone call of the day, takes 10-15 seconds, telling you your monthly airtime is about to expire, everyday until it renews. You will also get system level pop-up messages once a day reminding you of the same thing, I'm not sure what triggers it though because it is at random times. This is on an unlocked, retail Moto X Pure edition.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    - If ignorance is bliss, why are there not more happy people in the world?

Current Personal Phone: Moto G5 Plus (H2O Wireless)

Other phones "in the family": Axon 7 Mini (H2O), Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (VZW), HTC 10 (VZW)

Device(s)
    Le Pro3 / Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    MintSIM/Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I'm on autopay and get 2 short code texts ... one reminding me of the upcoming payment, the other confirming payment.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by actinic View Post
    I'm on autopay and get 2 short code texts ... one reminding me of the upcoming payment, the other confirming payment.
    I'm on autopay and I get the nagging. I wish I only got what you describe.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    If you're look for cheap and to spend the least amount of money, get a main google voice number and then buy an h2O preloaded sim from eBay each month for about $12 ($30 plan is given) then just enter the new number each month on google voice to receive calls
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    The "nag" on my device is annoying but hardly a deal breaker... About 5-7 days before expiration (even with auto renewal) you will get ONE recording per day with your first outbound phone call of the day, takes 10-15 seconds, telling you your monthly airtime is about to expire, everyday until it renews. You will also get system level pop-up messages once a day reminding you of the same thing, I'm not sure what triggers it though because it is at random times. This is on an unlocked, retail Moto X Pure edition.
    Wow, that sounds really annoying, particularly if autopay is enabled. I was planning to switch my wife's phone to H2O, but this might make me reconsider.

Device(s)
    Moto X Pure, Nexus 5, Moto G 2015
    Carrier(s)
    H2O Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spocko View Post
    Wow, that sounds really annoying, particularly if autopay is enabled. I was planning to switch my wife's phone to H2O, but this might make me reconsider.
    Up to you... my son complains about it every month for a few days, but when I tell him the alternative is to cut his data in half for the same price he shuts up.

Device(s)
    LG G3/G2/XCharge, Moto E4/E2/G/G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    H2O, PagePlus, TracFone, Tello, TMO, Xfinity
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget the H2O $30/$27 plan will be going to 2Gb data (permanently), starting July 1. They will have a $35/$31.50 plan with 3Gb, however.

Feedback Score
    I get those text messages, and announcements before I make a call.. I can't see how that can be a deal breaker. Its usually a five second announcement before completing your call on your first call for the day.. You also get it after you send your first text for the day. It starts usually about five days before your billing cycle ends. I don't do autopay.. I am not paid on set days, and I have my debit cards shut off when I'm not using them. I am not sure if you get them when you have autopay or not...