Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Doing research and thinking of moving a phone from Straight Talk - some questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0

    Doing research and thinking of moving a phone from Straight Talk - some questions

    I currently have a member of my family on Straight Talk's 45.00 monthly plan.

    I put her IMEI number on Cricket's website and it says it's compatible but her phone must be unlocked before coming to Cricket. Does that mean simply buying the Cricket SIM card? If so, I see Cricket has it for 9.99. Could I buy it elsewhere for cheaper? Would I just do a search for Cricket sim card? Member of family has a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has been on Straight Talk for 4-5 years. I tried going to AT&T website to unlock the phone, but after entering her IMEI it stated:Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:Your device is currently active on another AT&T customer’s account. I don't know what that means.

    I've been doing a little reading today and just found out about these groups where you can save more money. Saving money is what I'm looking for. If member of family moved to cricket and bought the first month's plan, I'd then go on Reddit and find a group? I'm thinking sister might do good on 8gb plan. But thought I'd try the 4gb plan first to see if that were enough for her. Can she change plans when she is in a group?

    If she were a member of a group, how much would the 4gb plan be and how much would the 8gb plan be?

    If she went to a group and someone in the group left and no replacement, would she then owe full price for that month and any month after until a new member joined the group?

    How reliable are the groups? I'd hate to get her in one and her monthly plan change all the time from people leaving and people joining. How lucky have you been in a group? I don't want it to be a constant headache just to save money.

    Her next monthly plan is due by July so was hoping to get her started on a cheaper plan by then. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    782
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I currently have a member of my family on Straight Talk's 45.00 monthly plan.

    I put her IMEI number on Cricket's website and it says it's compatible but her phone must be unlocked before coming to Cricket. Does that mean simply buying the Cricket SIM card? If so, I see Cricket has it for 9.99. Could I buy it elsewhere for cheaper? Would I just do a search for Cricket sim card? Member of family has a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has been on Straight Talk for 4-5 years. I tried going to AT&T website to unlock the phone, but after entering her IMEI it stated:Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:Your device is currently active on another AT&T customer’s account. I don't know what that means.

    I've been doing a little reading today and just found out about these groups where you can save more money. Saving money is what I'm looking for. If member of family moved to cricket and bought the first month's plan, I'd then go on Reddit and find a group? I'm thinking sister might do good on 8gb plan. But thought I'd try the 4gb plan first to see if that were enough for her. Can she change plans when she is in a group?

    If she were a member of a group, how much would the 4gb plan be and how much would the 8gb plan be?

    If she went to a group and someone in the group left and no replacement, would she then owe full price for that month and any month after until a new member joined the group?

    How reliable are the groups? I'd hate to get her in one and her monthly plan change all the time from people leaving and people joining. How lucky have you been in a group? I don't want it to be a constant headache just to save money.

    Her next monthly plan is due by July so was hoping to get her started on a cheaper plan by then. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
    Wow, a lot of questions at the same time.
    First off, if you have a straight talk phone, only straight talk can unlock it. I'm not sure how many months of consecutive service you must have to unlock the phone so my suggestion is to contact straight talk and find out if any of your phones meet the unlocking criteria and then have them unlock them for you.
    If you don't mind cheap phones, cricket has some phones that are free if you port your number from another carrier to Cricket. If you don't know how to do this, get your account number and PIN for your straight talk accounts and go to a cricket store and tell them you want to port to cricket. They can help you get switched over.
    There are people here that do groups. Contact them directly and ask questions. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,295
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I currently have a member of my family on Straight Talk's 45.00 monthly plan.

    I put her IMEI number on Cricket's website and it says it's compatible but her phone must be unlocked before coming to Cricket. Does that mean simply buying the Cricket SIM card? If so, I see Cricket has it for 9.99. Could I buy it elsewhere for cheaper? Would I just do a search for Cricket sim card? Member of family has a AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 that has been on Straight Talk for 4-5 years. I tried going to AT&T website to unlock the phone, but after entering her IMEI it stated:Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:Your device is currently active on another AT&T customer’s account. I don't know what that means.

    I've been doing a little reading today and just found out about these groups where you can save more money. Saving money is what I'm looking for. If member of family moved to cricket and bought the first month's plan, I'd then go on Reddit and find a group? I'm thinking sister might do good on 8gb plan. But thought I'd try the 4gb plan first to see if that were enough for her. Can she change plans when she is in a group?

    If she were a member of a group, how much would the 4gb plan be and how much would the 8gb plan be?

    If she went to a group and someone in the group left and no replacement, would she then owe full price for that month and any month after until a new member joined the group?

    How reliable are the groups? I'd hate to get her in one and her monthly plan change all the time from people leaving and people joining. How lucky have you been in a group? I don't want it to be a constant headache just to save money.

    Her next monthly plan is due by July so was hoping to get her started on a cheaper plan by then. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.
    Is the galaxy s4 a straight talk phone or just an AT&T phone ?? If it's just an AT&T phone Then just buy the sim card and transfer the phone number
    To the cricket sim. No need to unlock.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Wow, a lot of questions at the same time.
    First off, if you have a straight talk phone, only straight talk can unlock it. I'm not sure how many months of consecutive service you must have to unlock the phone so my suggestion is to contact straight talk and find out if any of your phones meet the unlocking criteria and then have them unlock them for you.
    If you don't mind cheap phones, cricket has some phones that are free if you port your number from another carrier to Cricket. If you don't know how to do this, get your account number and PIN for your straight talk accounts and go to a cricket store and tell them you want to port to cricket. They can help you get switched over.
    There are people here that do groups. Contact them directly and ask questions. Good luck.
    Thanks. Yes, a lot of questions. :-) I appreciate your help.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Is the galaxy s4 a straight talk phone or just an AT&T phone ?? If it's just an AT&T phone Then just buy the sim card and transfer the phone number
    To the cricket sim. No need to unlock.
    Thanks. Yes, it is just a AT&T phone....not a Straight Talk specific phone. Good to know I can just slip in the SIM.

    So I can just go on Ebay or elsewhere and buy a Cricket SIM. Anything specific I'm looking for in the sim?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,151
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    Thanks. Yes, it is just a AT&T phone....not a Straight Talk specific phone. Good to know I can just slip in the SIM.

    So I can just go on Ebay or elsewhere and buy a Cricket SIM. Anything specific I'm looking for in the sim?
    Looks like you need a micro sized SIM.

    Might as well take advantage of getting one of Cricket's free or .99c phones for switching that come with the new 'white' micro SIM sized card.

    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    498
    Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 12thman View Post
    Looks like you need a micro sized SIM.

    Might as well take advantage of getting one of Cricket's free or .99c phones for switching that come with the new 'white' micro SIM sized card.

    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones
    Once you get the sim activated just simply insert into your current phone.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0
    If I used a referral, and joined now, would I get 25.00 for the referral and 50.00 credit for being new?

    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    If I used a referral, and joined now, would I get 25.00 for the referral and 50.00 credit for being new?

    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones
    I did a chat with Cricket. They said I can't get the 50.00 credit from coming from Straight Talk since both use AT&T but I can use a referral. First I have to buy a cheap Cricket sim (mircro) to test to see if phone is unlocked or not. Can someone point me in the right direction of a cricket micro sim that is cheap?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    599
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I did a chat with Cricket. They said I can't get the 50.00 credit from coming from Straight Talk since both use AT&T but I can use a referral. First I have to buy a cheap Cricket sim (mircro) to test to see if phone is unlocked or not. Can someone point me in the right direction of a cricket micro sim that is cheap?
    Dang, you can't get any promos when coming to Cricket from Straight Talk since both are AT&T. That sucks. All I'm eligible for is using a referral.

    If I did end up with a 25.00 credit after 60 days and I'm with a group, how would I get that 25.00 out of my acct since I'll probably be paying the group with Paypal.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    38
    Feedback Score
    0
    Will porting from Airvoice get a $50 promo? It is ATT so I am guessing not?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,618
    Device(s)
    Note2/Oppo7a
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone $35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Bestbuy. Go to the online store, put a sim in your cart, put a refill in your cart for what level service you want. The Sim will be 99 cents and the refill will 10% off but you may have to pay taxes. Set for pickup at store or have mailed to your home. Not sure if Bestbuy can activate Cricket for you.

    You may want to activate and have Autopay turned on first before loading the refill on the account. Cricket will still give the Autopay refund even though they pulled the money from your account balance and not your card.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 10:23 AM
  2. What do you guys think of New Telus phones "Canada"
    By chapinrico in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
  3. Tips and tricks of getting discounted phones from TMO?
    By DarkTemplar194 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 08:45 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:55 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2002, 10:41 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks