Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [Total Wireless] Issues receiving calls/tests on Android N 7.0 (S7 Edge | Note 5)

Feedback Score

[Total Wireless] Issues receiving calls/tests on Android N 7.0 (S7 Edge | Note 5)

I have been going through a weird issue on Total Wireless. 4G data is always fine, it works on any firmware I have tried. If I am using any ROM that is 6.0.1 and below, I have no issues at all making/receiving calls or texts on either of these unlocked Verizon Wireless phones.

The problem arises when I am on any Nougat 7.x ROM. I can't receive any calls/VMs/Texts on a fresh install or reboot of the phones. I can make outgoing calls/texts just fine, and after I do either of these two things I can then receive calls/texts/VMs fine until I reboot the devices, then I have to first make an outgoing communication to jumpstart my incoming service I guess you would say. This issue persists whether I am using CDMA/LTE or Global Network modes.

I have communicated with TotalWireless on multiple occassions, have tried 3 different SIM cards and they have deleted and re-added/reprovisioned my device/number to their system but nothing seems to help this issue. APN is the usual TRACFONE.VZWENTP

Any ideas on further troubleshooting steps I can take

Feedback Score
    That's the thing though. This is with any ROM that is 7.x, they all exhibit this weird issue. Stock firmware or custom, the issue persists.

I have tried every possible combination of upgrading from 6.0.1 to 7 through Kies, Smartswitch, fresh firmware flash of 3 different official Samsung firmware for the s7e and the 7 ROM available on the Note 5 does the same thing.

I appreciate your reply, but it is a bit generic for the steps I've taken. The only configuration that works without the niggling issue is 6.0.1 ROMs, and by that i mean, every single ROM I have used that is on MM and below on both phones never exhibit this issue at all.

Can anyone with either of these devices and using Android N on TW chime in? It really feels like it's some sort of issue with my account, but it being confined to Android N is very weird.

Feedback Score
    Believe me, I have searched on XDA|Android Central|Official VZW/Samsung forums for weeks looking for a solution since it happens with every single Android 7.0 N firmware that is available to the G935V and the N920V devices that I have. I would kindly like to point you in the direction of my OP.

I would like for you to actually read what I have written and understand that this is not an issue with a certain custom ROM, which you keep typing up generic responses with no real content that actually furthers insight into this instead trying to troubleshoot a different issue. I know about problems that can arise with customizing firmware outside the boundaries of what Samsung/carriers allow directly, doing dirty flash upgrades, flashing custom mods etc. I wouldn't be here trying to diagnose my problem, I would be doing exactly what you are saying.

Back on topic. I stated exactly what I did, that being I have experienced this problem on only Android 7.0 throughout upgrading from a completely working state on 6.0.1, factory resetting the device after upgrading, doing a fresh firmware flash of official Samsung firmware from SamMobile.com, rooting the phone and installing custom ROMs, etc.

This is an all encompassing issue that is confined to Android N and/or my account, for whatever reason. TW has no competent customer service available, so a forum dedicated to MVNO discussions is the most relevant place to explain the issue and hopefully get some help. This issue also doesn't even produce a half working phone. It is alleviated 100% when I simply make a phone call, be it to my voicemail, landline or another mobile after rebooting my phones. Dialing out once after turning my phone on clears the issue up and everything is fine until I reboot, at which point I can do everything normally except receive calls/texts. I can use mobile data, make phone calls and send texts perfectly.

I would like to rule out it being an incompatibility issue with TW and Android 7.0 by having someone on TW using either of these devices on 7.0 not having this issue. Then I would be able to ascertain that it is probably something off with my account in some way.

Thanks

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Except this isn't TW's issue. No MVNO or postpaid carrier support would be able to help you with custom ROMs that you installed on your phone.

If this was a common issue, especially since you're using the fairly popular S7 Edge and Note 5 phones, I'm sure we would have read about it here or on XDA by now.

But again, criticizing TW support for not being able to help you with custom ROMs is ridiculous.

Good luck finding a solution, but you need to have reasonable expectations, and not be so condescending/confrontational to people trying to help you.

Feedback Score
    You have got to be kidding me.

The issue is not contained to custom ROM's. This happens on a 100% stock device when activated on my account. I will admit that I am condescending to people that refuse to read and acknowledge what I have repeated a dozen times and continue to offer advice that doesn't pertain to the issue. It gets annoying, I would be better off with no help at all rather than have a few people simply enter to embarrass themselves by posting while refusing to read what is written beforehand.

Need a reminder? This is happening on 100% stock Samsung firmware for both of these devices on my account. I am trying to get information if it is a known issue with Android 7/TW or simply a TW issue that is affecting my account.

Once more. It is not a custom ROM issue.

Did that help?

Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    >This is an all encompassing issue that is confined to Android N and/or my account, for whatever reason.

Then you should be able to find reports of it from Googling. No hits = not 'all encompassing'.
    It is all encompassing with regards to Android 7.0/My TW account.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
    You have got to be kidding me.

The issue is not contained to custom ROM's. This happens on a 100% stock device when activated on my account. I am condescending to people that refuse to read and acknowledge what I have repeated a dozen times now.

Need a reminder. This is happening on 100% stock Samsung firmware for both of these devices on my account. I am trying to get information if it is a known issue with Android 7/TW or simply a TW issue that is affecting my account.

Once more. It is not a custom ROM issue.

Did that help?
    No. Because it is apparently ONLY happening on YOUR phones, which have had custom ROMs previously installed, and who knows what radios have been flashed.

Feedback Score
    That would explain why this happened when I switched from a Note 5 to a a Verizon s7 Edge OOB with the OG release N firmware, where the issue was still present?

That is beside the point that these devices can go from stock to custom back to stock firmware with no permanent issues. Having a locked bootloader and the Odin firmware flashing utility makes this possible. Having custom ROMs at any point in time is irrelevant with that fact, but thanks for trying to sound knowledgeable on the situation, a small improvement from the other poster, I will give you that.

To add to the discussion, using my Note 5 with a colleagues Verizon Sim card a few minutes ago, the issue is not present on stock N firmware on Verizon Wireless. Calls to the device were successful 3 times in a row after rebooting the device, using the latest stock 7.0 firmware.

Still curious to know if anyone with these specific VZW branded devices on TotalWireless using Android N do not experience this issue. It's almost like some form of call diverting or forwarding service is activated and only deactivates to provide 100% functionality after I dial out for the first time after a fresh start.

Feedback Score
    Another observation. On N firmware in the "SIM Card Status" menu on a fresh reboot, I have "Searching for Service" under "Network" and "Out of Service" under "Service State". However, I can use data normally at this point. When I dial out the status of each changes to Network-Verizon Wireless | Service State - In Service.

Going to do a fresh flash of 6.0.1 firmware on one of the devices and see what shows in that menu. I assume that it will always show Verizon Wireless|In Service after a fresh reboot since there is no issue receiving calls/texts on those firmwares, be they stock or custom.

I would be led to believe that maybe there was a bad port of my mobile number from Verizon to TW, but I would think that would affect my devices irregardless of firmware, right?

Feedback Score
    If you have data but no voice, the CDMA part is messed up. Some of the firmwares for Samsung are GSM only.
    I have a Moto G4 Plus in TW, with factory Nougat, rooted. It works perfectly.

People that installed Lineage/CM based ROMs had all kinds of problems, some that are similar with what you report. Note that sometimes the loose completely the modem IEMi, sometimes the WiFi won't work...
    Personally I had an Asus that I tinkered on CM and I had various issues. The people that work on those are literally kids in India or Poland or who knows where.

On top of everything, Samsung likes to lock their phones tighter than anyone (except Apple), I would never consider a Sammy for unlock and root.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, I don't do much in the way of rooting or deep customizations on my phones anymore, have a Shield tablet for anything I need to do with deep rooting utilities such as Magisk, so Samsung phones are great for me with their build quality/reliability. Though Touchwiz does give some serious WTF moments with regards to lag. When I did root/bootloader unlock phones CM were generally the worst with regards to endless issues. They never could get a way to have a fully functional camera for some reason on any device I used it with. Always fun to need your camera for something real quick and it just so happens it doesn't work leaving you screwed.

Samsung does have its own set of worries with regards to messing about with root privileges. The Note 4 was especially bad with the KingoRoot root method causing potentially irreversible damage to DM Verity/EFS/IMEI functions.

I have found some old threads from '13 '14 about an issue similar to mine, they were due to a bad number port between carriers and were issues that happened no matter the phone/firmware used until it was cleared up with the carrier. My issue being on TotalWireless Nougat 7.0 irregardless of combination of Phone/SIM/Network Mode/Firmware is really mind boggling, especially since there is no issue when using the device with a Verizon Wireless SIM.

I guess I could try reaching out to them on their Facebook page, and see what if anything, they can do to sort this issue since it does look like it is just my account combined with Nougat that is affected. I am no stranger to oddities on TotalWireless. I did seemingly have the only Note 4 in existence that had VOLTE working perfectly on Total Wireless. Who knows.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If rom is setting the network mode to LTE only, that would cause the cdma part not work. IIrc, it should be cdma/lte auto prl or something like that. Is vzw still locking out the *#*#4636#*#* menu? Network mode can be changed from there.

Feedback Score
    I think that is locked out on TW. I cam dial *73 which brings up a prompt to disable call forwarding, but clicking turn off doesnt seem to do anything.

On a fresh OOB device or one flashed with official VZW/Samsung firmware, the phone should be in LTE/CDMA or Global by default, correct?

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    If rom is setting the network mode to LTE only, that would cause the cdma part not work. IIrc, it should be cdma/lte auto prl or something like that. Is vzw still locking out the *#*#4636#*#* menu? Network mode can be changed from there.
    I can get to the Testing menu (Phone info, Usage stats, Wi-Fi info, etc) using that code on my Moto G4 Play (XT1607) that on TF/VZW.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Of course, because it's not a vzw branded phone. Many of the carrier branded devices lock this out.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoandGeo View Post
    I think that is locked out on TW. I cam dial *73 which brings up a prompt to disable call forwarding, but clicking turn off doesnt seem to do anything.

On a fresh OOB device or one flashed with official VZW/Samsung firmware, the phone should be in LTE/CDMA or Global by default, correct?
    One would expect that. Unless there is something else in play. What is your source for the firmware? Never had any issues with firmware from http://sammobile.com/ . Could your factory firmware be modified in some way....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast