Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sprint BYOD: 1 year "free" unlimited service

Feedback Score
    Anybody know what happens if your fail to port, in think Sprint assigns you a temporary number?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Anybody know what happens if your fail to port, in think Sprint assigns you a temporary number?
    Maybe normally but I would be careful on this particular offer. Porting in is officially required for this offer. I imagine you are ok as long as a port is pending and underway.

But they are suspending some accounts that do not activate at all within a few days. That is different from failing to port in, but the same might apply.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyCarts View Post
    Is it possible they're targeting users with only certain phones? Just a thought. I have a OnePlus3T and Galaxy Grand Prime (backup) and neither passed the IMEI test. When I scrolled down I saw a list of the following phones:
    Code:
        Apple iPhone 5C (Verizon only) 
        Apple iPhone 5S (Verizon only)
        Apple iPhone 6
        Apple iPhone 6 Plus
        Apple iPhone 6S
        Apple iPhone 6S Plus
        Apple iPhone 7 (Verizon only) 
        Apple iPhone 7 Plus (Verizon only) 
        Apple iPhone SE
        Google Nexus 5 (Verizon only) 
        Google Nexus 5X
        Google Nexus 6
        Google Nexus 6P
        Google Pixel
        Google Pixel XL
        Motorola E4 
        Motorola Z2 Play
        Motorola G4
        Motorola G4 Play
        Motorola G4 Plus
        Motorola G5 Plus
        Motorola X Pure Edition
        Samsung Galaxy S7 edge Special Edition
        Samsung Galaxy S7 Special Edition
        Samsung Galaxy S8 Special Edition
        Samsung Galaxy S8+ Special Edition

True but you can also activate many Sprint (postpaid) phones not on the list. I have activated a Tribute HD successfully (not the common prepaid Tribute HD, which will not qualify).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by e.mote View Post
    Did you have to call in to get your 2nd and 3rd line, or can you go through OLAM? What's the 3rd line for anyway?

Oh, and why Tribute HD when it doesn't have root?

I'm good with one. What I don't get is people's lackadaisical response here and elsewhere. It's ONE-YEAR. FREE. UNLIMITED (OK, sort of). That's a $600 ($50/month) freebie. And yet folks are pointedly ignoring it in favor of lesser PAID plans from Sprint MVNOs. Weird.

I applied for Magic Box, but on balance I will probably forgo it.
    I agree there have been relatively few takers here and in some other places for whatever reason.

I am not saying this applies to anyone else but the third line gives me a total of 3 times the areas of the plan that have limits (such as official hotspot) in case I ever need to worry about those. Now that the date is likely being extended though, I may hold off and put that one under my corporation to gain another two months on the back end (new extended end of deal date seems to be Sept. 30 2018 rather than the original July 31).

I called in again when adding a line - you have to call anyway to use your own sim card as far as I know. I could be wrong.

Tribute HD is definitely weak because of lack of root ability but then again maybe that was one reason why I got it for $22 plus shipping. I definitely am not recommending it as such. My point was just that almost any postpaid Sprint phone can qualify. I could not immediately find any other phone that will qualify in that price range though. I am still looking! Later I may replace it. It works just fine for me for now via USB tethering and PDANet, and there is the official 10GB wifi hotspot capability in it as well under this plan.

Magic Box could be interesting if it allows other sprint mvno phones to work at higher speeds as well. I think it will but we will see. Also it may make voice over lte more feasible when that comes out. Wifi calling already works well. You can already use wifi calling over the hotspot of another phone if the signal is strong enough. Sprint is adding "Voice Plus" soon which will be over LTE and a halfway move toward VoLTE later and may work well enough (on the few phones that support it initially but my S8 likely will).
    Last edited by comintel; 07-28-2017 at 05:40 PM.

Feedback Score
    >

.....I take it you didn't like Moto E4 at $106 when BB still has that deal going? I passed because it still doesn't have root, and stable ROMs would be a while in coming. G4 Play would be OK if it's cheap enough. But I'd like to get another G4+. It gets better speeds than my Sprint hotspots and the older E2.....
    I did not really need a second (or third) phone right now so I will wait until I do before spending any much money. I mainly just wanted to get another placeholder on this offer. Actually it turns out the the Tribute HD tethered to my PC and set in a Window actually gets fine speeds for normal browsing etc. on my PC for now. I can switch to tethering the PC to my S8+ if I want speeds a bit higher for a big download The tether never falters really acting as an Internet modem. I leave it for days at a time.

By the way, speaking of the E4, I read that quite a few people are successfully getting BestBuy to Price Match Amazon's $99.99 price on the Moto E4 (even though Amazon's has ads etc. and Best Buy's is the regular unlocked version).

Feedback Score
    FREE Sprint for a year? FINALLY, a plan that's priced right for who they are...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue 023 View Post
    FREE Sprint for a year? FINALLY, a plan that's priced right for who they are...
    Think of it as a former Sprint customer rewards program. For me to go back, they would have to pay me a monthly fee....lol. I hope they succeed, but they first need to hire a national sales director, fire every single c/s person in their stores, have them reapply for their jobs so they can be evaluated. Their c/s reps dealing with people and business are the absolute worst liars and incompetents I've ever seen..by far. Sprint, while you have some problems with your network in places, you weak spot is your don't give a diddly sh*t employees who deal with potential customers. Walked into my local Sprint store here in California and it looked like they hired thugs and ghetto rats off the street who were surly, ignorant of their products, smelled of weed and cheap cologne, and dressed with the fugly pants hanging down to expose their underwear. It was surreal and worthy competition for pic posts on People of WalMart. Place looked like a rehab for drug dealers. We walked out and had a good laugh.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    Think of it as a former Sprint customer rewards program. For me to go back, they would have to pay me a monthly fee....lol. I hope they succeed, but they first need to hire a national sales director, fire every single c/s person in their stores, have them reapply for their jobs so they can be evaluated. Their c/s reps dealing with people and business are the absolute worst liars and incompetents I've ever seen..by far. Sprint, while you have some problems with your network in places, you weak spot is your don't give a diddly sh*t employees who deal with potential customers. Walked into my local Sprint store here in California and it looked like they hired thugs and ghetto rats off the street who were surly, ignorant of their products, smelled of weed and cheap cologne, and dressed with the fugly pants hanging down to expose their underwear. It was surreal and worthy competition for pic posts on People of WalMart. Place looked like a rehab for drug dealers. We walked out and had a good laugh.
    No kidding, even the at&t stores here are like that, say what you will about Verizon but they seem to have much higher standards.

Sent from my R1 HD using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jimxx200 View Post
    I like to describe it as a cross between the DMV and the dentist.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I will add that I got in on this deal, used a Moto G5 that will be going with my son when he ships out for the Army next week, I will be sending a postpaid T-Mobile SIM, for the line he has been using for years, an Xfinity Mobile SIM, because he will be doing training out west in places where T-Mobile doesn't always have great coverage, and the Sprint SIM because who knows, he may end up in a strange place that has good Sprint Coverage but T-Mobile and Verizon suck.

The number I used to port in was a number from a tablet on the T-Mobile Free Data for Life plan, it looks like the only actual restrictions were from prepaid only MVNO's and all Sprint prepaid services and MVNO's. I tried a couple of Ting and FreedomPop GSM numbers and they didn't work, but the Verizon Prepaid and T-Mobile Free Tablet line did.

I haven't used Sprint postpaid in a few years, but so far the coverage is pretty much the same, which means in this area not great once you leave the city limits, once you get way out it isn't bad for voice and text, because you are roaming on Verizon, but in large parts of the rural areas there is enough Sprint coverage to not allow roaming, but not enough to actually use for anything. All the same it is pretty nice for a backup, fees and charges are about what I was paying for a line on Ting that wasn't used for anything at all, at least this one can be used.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by comintel View Post
    True but you can also activate many Sprint (postpaid) phones not on the list.
    Interesting, that's the first time I have heard that. I hadn't pursued this deal before because I didn't have any of the phones on the official list.

My family currently has two Sprint postpaid phones that are active on a Sprint MVNO. To check eligibility I would first need to port the numbers and activate the phones on a GSM provider, correct? The if the phones don't qualify I would have to port back. Not sure it's worth the risk/hassle for my situation.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    >Not sure it's worth the risk/hassle for my situation.

$600 isn't worth the hassle?

$90 Moto G4 Play from BB + $3 Sprint SIM from Twigby + $1 FreedomPop SIM (for porting) are too expensive to get $600 freebie?

At any rate, thumb-twiddling at this point falls into the "oh well" category.

Edit: One person on SD Sprint BYOD thread reported that deal is now extended to Aug 31. Yet to be corroborated on Sprint reddit or Sprint promo page itself. If true, fence-sitters and thumb-twiddlers have 2nd reprieve.
    It's only worth $600 if you can actually get that value out of it. I already have several GB of data available for "free" from FP.

It's definitely not worth the "hassle" or $3+ per month in taxes and fees for me... and I already had a phone and SIM available to get it. Not sure about a phone number to port, but apparently an FP number would work.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    >It's only worth $600 if you can actually get that value out of it.

Yes, the specific amount is obviously YMMV. But a year's free unlimited service definitely has a substantive worth, not for you perhaps, but for most. That's why we're all here, after all, to find ways to save on phone service costs.
    Absolutely! (Emphasis mine)

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    >Not sure it's worth the risk/hassle for my situation.

$600 isn't worth the hassle?

$90 Moto G4 Play from BB + $3 Sprint SIM from Twigby + $1 FreedomPop SIM (for porting) are too expensive to get $600 freebie?
    It's not a $600 freebie for me:
    • I currently only pay $35 a month for my 2 lines. Obviously they aren't "unlimited", but the service level is adequate. If I did the Sprint deal, it would primarily be for cost saving reasons.
    • The Sprint deal is not "free". People seem to be reporting $3-10 per line for taxes/fees, so for 2 lines that's $6-20. Compared to my current service I could save $15-29/month * 12 months = $180-348 total.
    • The Moto G4 play is not a comparable replacement for my existing phones. Even if it was, it would cost me close to $200 with tax for a pair of them, in which case I might not save any money at all. Or I might save about $150.
    • I don't know if I would trust FP to port my current numbers in/out correctly. Wife would not be happy if I lost her number or left her without service for a while.

Maybe I could buy temporary phones to sign up and activate the service, then swap in my current phones, then sell the temporary ones. Can you swap devices shortly after signup?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by spocko View Post
    Interesting, that's the first time I have heard that. I hadn't pursued this deal before because I didn't have any of the phones on the official list.

My family currently has two Sprint postpaid phones that are active on a Sprint MVNO. To check eligibility I would first need to port the numbers and activate the phones on a GSM provider, correct? The if the phones don't qualify I would have to port back. Not sure it's worth the risk/hassle for my situation.
    They will/would qualify if they were paid off on Sprint's records. The published list of "eligible" phones is just for marketing purposes and is only partial. It is just Sprint's standard list of BYOD phones. Sprint did not include its own postpaid models because they would normally already be on Sprint in their way of thinking.

There is one small obstacle for you. Because your phones have been on an MVNO, they will show as ineligible at first because the MVNO flag will have been set to PLBL so that they could work on the MVNO. Often that gets left on there when you take them off the MVNO. You need it set back to SPCS. If you first take them off the MVNO, Sprint can do that for you by request or, much easier and faster, Ting reddit admin LiterallyUnlimited can do it for you as a public service if you PM him on Reddit. I had to have him do that for my Sprint S8 because it had been on Tello. Once he did so, it showed as eligible. For iPhones, Ting will do this if you merely run it through their checker. They say their code will work in most but not all cases.

By the way, you would not necessarily have to move the phone itself to a GSM provider. You would have to move the number to a non-Sprint provider to port it in as per the terms of the offer. The phone does not have to accompany the number along the way.

We're waiting for the web site to be updated, but according to many Sprint reps, the offer is being extended until at least the end of August. Even better for new takers of this offer, new one-year subscriptions will now stay "free" to Sept. 30 2018.
    Last edited by comintel; 07-31-2017 at 11:39 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast