Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Tracfone (LG Rebel) to BYOD

Feedback Score

San Fransisco Switching from Tracfone (LG Rebel) to BYOD

Hi - I just activated a Tracfone LG Rebel. I'm thinking of bringing my out of contract Verizon Samsung GS7 to that line. Can I just put the SIM card from the Rebel in my GS7, or do I need to buy a new SIM?

How would I activate the GS7?

Thanks!

(P.S. I saw other threads about changing phones, but I couldn't find one with a Tracfone, switching to BYOD.)

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII- LG G Pad- Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utbriancl View Post
    Hi - I just activated a Tracfone LG Rebel. I'm thinking of bringing my out of contract Verizon Samsung GS7 to that line. Can I just put the SIM card from the Rebel in my GS7, or do I need to buy a new SIM?

How would I activate the GS7?

Thanks!

(P.S. I saw other threads about changing phones, but I couldn't find one with a Tracfone, switching to BYOD.)
    You should be able to hot swap the SIM over to the GS7, but that would depend on the size of the SIM card.

IMO it is best to transfer the service over to a BYOP SIM so the device you are transferring from is free and clear to reactivate on TF.

Make sure to get your current units/days documented through chat before you attempt a transfer!

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    If you SIM swap, you tie up the Rebel from re-activation. Tracfone will not allow two SIMS active for the same phone. When you re-activate the Rebel the original SIM in the GS7 will deactivate. You could swap another already activated SIM into the Rebel. Then there is the problem of remembering where every SIM came from. How much complexity can you handle?

Note that there are some cases where the SIM is not associated with the phone, AT&T BYOP activations do not ask for any phone Information, only the SIM number. Verizon always wants to know about the MVNO phone in use on their network.
    Last edited by Tracfancier; 06-13-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips, Tracfancier and ls61. I guess I'll need to get a BYOP SIM if I want to do the swap in.

I doubt I'll use the LG Rebel for much, as I really bought it just to get the 1 year of service on Tracfone's ebay deal. ($50 for the Rebel + 400 minute card). But if I can find one of those $1 SIM cards, I might as well do the swap. Hopefully that won't be too painful...

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the tips, Tracfancier and ls61. I guess I'll need to get a BYOP SIM if I want to do the swap in.

I doubt I'll use the LG Rebel for much, as I really bought it just to get the 1 year of service on Tracfone's ebay deal. ($50 for the Rebel + 400 minute card). But if I can find one of those $1 SIM cards, I might as well do the swap. Hopefully that won't be too painful...
    Did you actually get a physical 400M/365D airtime card from Tracfone e-Bay?

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    You should be able to hot swap the SIM over to the GS7, but that would depend on the size of the SIM card.

IMO it is best to transfer the service over to a BYOP SIM so the device you are transferring from is free and clear to reactivate on TF.

Make sure to get your current units/days documented through chat before you attempt a transfer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you SIM swap, you tie up the Rebel from re-activation. Tracfone will not allow two SIMS active for the same phone. When you re-activate the Rebel the original SIM in the GS7 will deactivate. You could swap another already activated SIM into the Rebel. Then there is the problem of remembering where every SIM came from. How much complexity can you handle?

Note that there are some cases where the SIM is not associated with the phone, AT&T BYOP activations do not ask for any phone Information, only the SIM number. Verizon always wants to know about the MVNO phone in use on their network.
    But if he activates the GS7 "properly" it will get Slim-locked and he wouldn't be able to transfer that phone to another American Movil brand in the future. So it depends on which is more important to OP - to keep the GS7 completely unlocked, or to not tie up the Rebel from reactivation.

Feedback Score
    I guess I'll need to get a BYOP SIM if I want to do the swap in.
    Is your Rebel the AT&T or Verizon version? Either way it may be locked to it's SIM being it's a TracFone, and tied up if the SIM is swapped. Agree it's better to do a BYOP with a new SIM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kittycatblues View Post
    But if he activates the GS7 "properly" it will get Slim-locked and he wouldn't be able to transfer that phone to another American Movil brand in the future. So it depends on which is more important to OP - to keep the GS7 completely unlocked, or to not tie up the Rebel from reactivation.
    Not if the BYOP activation is GSM.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    Not if the BYOP activation is GSM.
    True, I thought the LG Rebel was CMDA only, didn't realize there was an AT&T version. If the GS7 is a GSM I would definitely switch to a BYOP SIM as that way it can be easily moved around to any unlocked compatible phone in the future, assuming it the right size.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Did you actually get a physical 400M/365D airtime card from Tracfone e-Bay?
    No, it was just on the account when I activated.

Feedback Score
    The Rebel is CDMA, as is the GS7. I would prefer the Verizon towers as I go through areas with only Verizon coverage. I don't much care about the Rebel, but I wouldn't want the GS7 to be locked to Tracfone. The rebel doesn't have much resale value, but the GS7 does.

So, if I just put the Rebel's SIM in the VZW GS7, I'll be able to use the GS7 and it won't be locked, but the Rebel won't be able to be reactivated.

If I get the BYOP CDMA SIM, the GS7 can be activated on the account and get the minutes i have on the Rebel now. The Rebel will be deactivated, but could be reactivated later. But will the GS7 will be locked to Tracfone?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    But will the GS7 will be locked to Tracfone?
    The GS7 will be "Slim-locked" to Tracfone, meaning it cannot be used with another company in the Tracfone family of companies (Net10, StraightTalk, etc) which is owned by Carlos Slim. It does not prevent the phone from being used later with a company not owned by Tracfone.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X- Moto X PE(2)- SG SIII- LG G Pad- Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Tello, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Have not seen much chatter on moving a BYOP device (non TF branded device) between TF subs lately?

This can and has been an issue, which is most likely an artifact that they have not removed from their system, but I do not think it is necessarily a reason to scare people off.

It is no benefit to TF or any of their subsidiaries to "Slim Lock" a BYOP device to a particular subsidiary. Any TF management tool should easily recognize that they would not want to block a customer from moving from TF over to TW or ST or N10, etc., or vice versa That would be nonsensical and extremely bad business practice, that I am sure they would like to see it resolved so a customer can continue subscribing with the TF Family of services.

It most certainly should be resolved by contacting corporate resolutions and escalating the issue up the chain if need be and or moving forward with an FCC complaint. The latter will most likely expedite the matter toward a positive resolution.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The GS7 will be "Slim-locked" to Tracfone, meaning it cannot be used with another company in the Tracfone family of companies (Net10, StraightTalk, etc) which is owned by Carlos Slim. It does not prevent the phone from being used later with a company not owned by Tracfone.
    Ha, "Slim-locked". Thanks hpham. I'll keep that in mind.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The Rebel is CDMA, as is the GS7. I would prefer the Verizon towers as I go through areas with only Verizon coverage. I don't much care about the Rebel, but I wouldn't want the GS7 to be locked to Tracfone. The rebel doesn't have much resale value, but the GS7 does.

So, if I just put the Rebel's SIM in the VZW GS7, I'll be able to use the GS7 and it won't be locked, but the Rebel won't be able to be reactivated.

If I get the BYOP CDMA SIM, the GS7 can be activated on the account and get the minutes i have on the Rebel now. The Rebel will be deactivated, but could be reactivated later. But will the GS7 will be locked to Tracfone?
    When activating any Tracfone branded phone you must giver the IMEI. Unless there has been a change?
    Tracfone BYOP SIM`s are slightly different.
    When activating a Tracfone Verizon SIM, Verizon makes Tracfone ask for the IMEI.
    When activating a Tracfone AT&T SIM, Tracfone does not ask for the IMEI, ONLY the SIM S/N.
    Not sure of T-Mobiles policy.

This is why some people decide to go with Tracfone AT&T BYOP, because Tracfone never knows (or cares) anything about the phone(s) in use with the SIM.

This allows you to activate a dual provider phone on Tracfone BYOP Verizon and activate an AT&T BYOP SIM for that same phone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast