Thread: SMS spam on Freedompop global sim

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score

SMS spam on Freedompop global sim

Each of the past two days I've received SMS spam from a +44 number. (As in, the text came in via SMS, not via an app)
    I'm confused as I thought these sims didn't support SMS nor do they have an associated phone number.
    Anyone else have this occur? Any explanations?

Name:  IMG_6297.PNG
Views: 373
Size:  74.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6294.PNG
Views: 357
Size:  70.1 KB

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    I have never used the FP app, because I use my FP SIMs with a GV # using Hangouts, so maybe I'm not fully understanding what you're describing.

Are you saying that texts to your FP # usually come into the FP app?

And are you saying that the texts you posted above are coming into your phone's native messaging app instead of the FP app?

If so, that is indeed a very strange occurrence!

Feedback Score
    All SIMs have an associated phone number. However, the global SIMs are supposed to have voice and texting disabled. Since you're on an iPhone, until you can figure it out, just go to Messages > open the actual message > "i" info icon > gray arrow pointing right > Block this Caller.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    All SIMs have an associated phone number. However, the global SIMs are supposed to have voice and texting disabled. Since you're on an iPhone, until you can figure it out, just go to Messages > open the actual message > "i" info icon > gray arrow pointing right > Block this Caller.
    Problem with that is if you look at the screenshots they came from two DIFFERENT numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

I am no longer a Primary Uscc User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.net

Feedback Score
    With the 3G International and LTE Domestic SIM, on Android, if you look in the settings, you see "Voice - disconnected" and "Data - in service".

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Problem with that is if you look at the screenshots they came from two DIFFERENT numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You'd block the other one also. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. You've seriously never blocked an annoying caller or text message before?

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    > And are you saying that the texts you posted above are coming into your phone's native messaging app instead of the FP app?
    Yes, these came into the native ios messaging app; nothing to do with the FP messaging app.

And yes, I've blocked annoying sms's before; my question was more on "how" the message got to my sim/phone since I was under the impression that native sms messaging was disabled on this sim.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrycl View Post
    > And are you saying that the texts you posted above are coming into your phone's native messaging app instead of the FP app?
    Yes, these came into the native ios messaging app; nothing to do with the FP messaging app.

And yes, I've blocked annoying sms's before; my question was more on "how" the message got to my sim/phone since I was under the impression that native sms messaging was disabled on this sim.
    IIRC, iMessage (or whatever it is called on iPhones) works over data (Wifi or mobile). On an Android phone with a FP SIM, the phone does not have a phone number. On iPhones the iMessages can be sent to your i-ID or its associated email address.

Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    ^ not entirely correct.
    These indeed were SMS messages, not Imessages, as you can tell because they were "green" not "blue".
    (On IOS, the Messages app is dual purposed: it can send & receive SMS messages as well as Imessage messages. SMS messages are green, imessages are blue).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by larrycl View Post
    ^ not entirely correct.
    These indeed were SMS messages, not Imessages, as you can tell because they were "green" not "blue".
    (On IOS, the Messages app is dual purposed: it can send & receive SMS messages as well as Imessage messages. SMS messages are green, imessages are blue).
    Ok, that was my guess. I don't claim to be an iPhone expert. This is very odd.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonysjenning View Post
    I don't think this is correct, at least in the case of FP Global or AT&T LTE SIMs. There is no phone # available in settings on my phone or tablet, where I use FP SIM cards for only a data connection.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Can you long press one of the received texts and do a details view? On android that shows the inbound and outbound numbers, time stamp, etc.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    for some reason my global sim has been receiving random calls from who knows where and its annoying. My LTE sim did not have that problem.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Extreme 250 internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Pace Next Gen XGv2(X1) Non-DVR), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    for some reason my global sim has been receiving random calls from who knows where and its annoying. My LTE sim did not have that problem.
    If it's coming through the app it's not there problem.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    It's just coincidence. I get occasional junk calls on my Global and LTE SIMs. I also have phones with service from Tello, Tracfone GSM, Tracfone CDMA, and AT&T postpaid. They all get occasional junk calls and texts. The calls from my local area are probably just mis-dialed.