Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: LTE Roaming on Unlimited

Feedback Score
    I live in a US cellular covered area (only them here) and with sprint we roamed LTE with uncapped speeds for a month or two then LTE went bye bye.

We got thrown on Extended 3G which wasn't much faster than 1x. Because of our exclusive roaming at home, we always chewed through the 100mb cap quick.

We have since move to Verizon for the unlimited plan and only get extended 1x. We are still able to use the 1x the same as 3G so it has been a positive move. The only sucky part is the monthly cost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thebuchholzman View Post
    I live in a US cellular covered area (only them here) and with sprint we roamed LTE with uncapped speeds for a month or two then LTE went bye bye.

We got thrown on Extended 3G which wasn't much faster than 1x. Because of our exclusive roaming at home, we always chewed through the 100mb cap quick.

We have since move to Verizon for the unlimited plan and only get extended 1x. We are still able to use the 1x the same as 3G so it has been a positive move. The only sucky part is the monthly cost....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wonder why?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    Many
    Carrier(s)
    USA: Sprint, VZW, AT&T, OmniPoint
    Feedback Score
    I'm just following up with my recent findings.

I was in upstate NY (Tupper Lake) for an entire week last week, and was excited to see the AT&T LET roaming working, and although not impressive LTE data speeds, it was far better than Verizon's 1X. Plus I noticed that I never missed a call that week. Previous trips up there when it was only Version 1X, I would regularly miss calls, and have huge delays in being notified that a voice mail message existed.

At least with the offload of data to AT&T's network, the control and paging channels on Verizon are not overwhelmed and a page for a inbound call are less likely to get dropped on the floor (assuming roaming sprint customers still get some priority).

I also noticed that the AT&T LET connection would only really be active when I was stationary for a while. When I became mobile, it disappeared. In those cases, I was still 1X data active on Verizon, at least on SID 78 (your mileage may vary).
    I also saw it switch between Band 17, Band 5, and Band 2 at various times based on my location.

Name:  Screenshot_20170714-222311.png
Views: 130
Size:  37.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20170725-132829.png
Views: 132
Size:  35.6 KB

Oh, and on my plan (grandfathered) I have a 300mb hard limit per phone for roaming data, but recently we hit that wall and we got an override last month by calling CS. We complained heavily as we were roaming in a US Cellular market with no WiFi access anywhere close by (we were camping) and we got shut off 3 days into our 5 day trip. They allowed us another 300Mb.

I wish I had know this so I would have just used data for the basic stuff instead of looking at the interactive weather maps every 30 minutes (we had severe thunderstorm warnings the whole time we were there).
    Attached Images Attached Images    

"...build it and they will come..." - James Earl Jones, Field of Dreams

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2