Thread: Phone access to outsiders question

Feedback Score

Phone access to outsiders question

I have a smartphone on AT&T GoPhone service and use the prepaid option. Therefore, I have text messaging turned off, and I use Wi-fi for any online activity.

However, one day last week, my phone made a LOUD tone like the emergency tone we sometimes hear on TV ("This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System...."), and I heard the same thing on everyone else's phone where I was, which happened to be the public library. Then I looked at my phone and there was an Amber Alert text on it. BTW, that tone that sounded was way louder than the volume of my phone was turned up to.

Now, I can understand that these Alerts have to be put out, but I'm concerned about how my phone, along with everyone else's, could be accessed and controlled like this. I have text messaging turned off, but I still got one. I had my volume turned down, but it went loud anyway. I don't have the tone that was used as any of my ringtones, yet it came through my phone. I have Wi-fi turned off, but my phone still received this signal. It kind of gives credence to reports that the government can turn on your phone and control features on it without your knowledge, doesn't it? It's a very good thing I wasn't trying to listen to music with headphones while this loud tone sounded. That could be very dangerous, especially if a person was driving at the time. It would also be very startling to a person who turns their phone down at night when they go to bed, only to have their phone scream at them like this right next to their head while they were sleeping.

Is there any way of blocking this ability?

PS--I did some searching already on Google as to how to turn off this type of Alert, but the options on my phone seem to differ from what the instructions say I should do.
    Last edited by a107; 06-14-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Feedback Score
    Check your settings under the Messages app.
    Then look for Emergency Alert Settings.

Feedback Score
    Wireless Emergency Alerts are sent from wireless cells, but are not sent using the text message system. Putting your phone in Airplane Mode will stop them, but then you don't have a cellphone. My Android phones have settings for which alerts to receive. All can be blocked except for the Presidential Alert. They are intended to punch though when nothing else works.

On my phone the settings are in Settings -> Networks -> More -> Emergency Alerts.

What phone do you have? Someone may know where it is on your phone.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...ncy-alerts-wea

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Wireless Emergency Alerts are sent from wireless cells, but are not sent using the text message system. Putting your phone in Airplane Mode will stop them, but then you don't have a cellphone. My Android phones have settings for which alerts to receive. All can be blocked except for the Presidential Alert. They are intended to punch though when nothing else works.

On my phone the settings are in Settings -> Networks -> More -> Emergency Alerts.

What phone do you have? Someone may know where it is on your phone.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...ncy-alerts-wea
    I tried what you said and I don't have "Networks" under settings. There was something there called "Mobile Networks", but that didn't lead to anything relevant.

My phone is a ZTE Maven. I looked for how to do it with this phone, but didn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by a107 View Post
    I tried what you said and I don't have "Networks" under settings. There was something there called "Mobile Networks", but that didn't lead to anything relevant.

My phone is a ZTE Maven. I looked for how to do it with this phone, but didn't find anything. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
    I have a Maven. It took some searching. GIYF. It is in the online pdf manual.

Start the Messaging app.

Touch the three dots in the upper right corner.

Touch Settings.

Scroll down to Emergency Alerts.

Touch Receive Emergency Alerts.

Select which ones you want to receive.

Feedback Score

Start the Messaging app.

Touch Settings.

Thanks! I don't have my phone with me at the moment, but I'll try it when I get home later. Since you say you have a Maven, there's a good chance your instructions will be successful.

Feedback Score

Start the Messaging app.

Touch Settings.

YES!!! It worked! Thank you very much for that! I noticed 2 other alert types on there as well, including one for weather alerts. I'm surprised I never have had that one sound yet, even though it was checked.

Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Even with those settings turned off, the government can still get you. They can even listen in on you with your phone turned off. Better get rid of it altogether and don't forget to wear a tinfoil hat.
    Cell phone history:
    Motorola DPC 550 - Ericsson DF388 - Sanyo SCP-4000 - Samsung SCH-N150 - Samsung SCH-T300 - LG TM520 - LG VX-4600 - BlackBerry 6750 - BlackBerry 7250 - Samsung SGH-807 - T-Mobile Dash - Motorola RAZR - BlackBerry Bold 9000 - BlackBerry Torch 9800 - Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (rooted) - Samsung Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (rooted, running SlimBean 4.3) - Oppo Find 7a - Moto X Play - OnePlus 3T Midnight Black Limited Edition