Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon 5G Spectrum Plans - Help to understand them?

Feedback Score

Verizon 5G Spectrum Plans - Help to understand them?

So I'm trying to make sense of Verizon's 5G Spectrum plans.

The data points I have so far:
    Verizon acquired Straight Path (with its 28GHz spectrum licenses, and its 39GHz spectrum licenses). See

Verizon acquired NextLink (with its 28GHz spectrum licenses). See http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-GHz-Spectrum

Just opening this thread to see if someone more knowledgeable than me (and I am sure that there are lots of you on this forum) can help me understand (i) how Verizon's 5G spectrum plans make sense, and (ii) what additional things Verizon needs to do/acquire to become a 5G powerhouse (and put to rest all notions of Verizon being a sinking ship due to spectrum holding limitations).

Thanks.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Qualcomm version
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon 2006-2009, AT&T 2009-2016, Verizon 2016-Now
    Feedback Score
    I don't know how such high spectrum will penetrate walls

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    "5G" spectrum will be useable through larger MIMO and small cells. Let's not forget that T-Mobile said that 5G will be used on all spectrum, whether 600 MHz or 39 GHz. Having 8 or even 32 antennas on a phone, while not reasonable today, will be eventually. We doubted when carriers said they could provide 100 Mbps speeds on LTE when 2G was still common place on some networks, yet here we are today with averages of around 30 Mbps (AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon) and peaks of over 250 Mbps. It will only be a matter of time when we are asking the same questions about "6G".

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    An article said recently that the angle for Verizon and AT&T is desification for 5G.

Meaning, I think they'll try and maneuver things to where maybe you're on this high frequency spectrum outdoors and the low band frequencies indoors. But even if that's not feasible enough Macro/Micro and MIMO sites would be enough to make use of that high frequency spectrum.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Feedback Score
    There are no 5G plans because there isn't a complete 5G specification (2020 is 3GPP timeline). Verizon is trying to do their own thing and shoehorn their 4.99G spec with some Chinese partners. At best you'll see fixed broadband in urban corridors and maybe rural home broadband. You're more likely to see wide-scale LTE-U/LAA deployments before a single 5G site launches.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T & Sprint
    Feedback Score

Verizon 5G Spectrum Plans - Help to understand them?

While I completely understand preparing for the future, I don't believe the hype about 5G. At least not until I see it. It's going to be years before it will be operational and providing fast speeds.

Why do I say this? Because LTE is still being deployed, Bands other than 13 or still being deployed, CA is still being implemented, etc.

It does bother me when we hear about all the great potential of 5G when 4G LTE still has not reached its potential (with a few exceptions).

Where I live I'm right next to a Verizon cell site that's only running band 13 and it's overloaded in the evenings. Neighboring cell sites have band 4 & 13. So, where I live, I'm still waiting for what Verizon calls XLTE & LTE Advanced to be fully deployed. Why would I think 5G is coming soon when 4G is still not fully rolled out? I'm glad they are working on the future, but it would be nice if they would complete the present.

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Some of this MMwave spectrum will be used for Fix Wireless to provide internet service to people homes. Both AT&T and Verizon are looking at fixed wireless to provide internet and will require a antenna on your house and a transmitter platform in your neighborhood. TV is moving towards the internet and wireless is cheaper to maintain than wired networks.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
    So I'm trying to make sense of Verizon's 5G Spectrum plans.

The data points I have so far:
    Verizon acquired Straight Path (with its 28GHz spectrum licenses, and its 39GHz spectrum licenses). See

Verizon acquired NextLink (with its 28GHz spectrum licenses). See http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...8-GHz-Spectrum

Just opening this thread to see if someone more knowledgeable than me (and I am sure that there are lots of you on this forum) can help me understand (i) how Verizon's 5G spectrum plans make sense, and (ii) what additional things Verizon needs to do/acquire to become a 5G powerhouse (and put to rest all notions of Verizon being a sinking ship due to spectrum holding limitations).

Thanks.
    Verizon Wireless will be utilizing those MMwave licenses to densify their network in major cities, in certain buildings and events. The problem with LTE is that it's expensive to add CA to each site and is limited to a total of 100 MHz max. The cost of labor, hardware, and software upgrades makes it impractical to add CA to every site so a.) Verizon Wireless will use C-RAN b.) hook up with a DAS partner c.) and use MMwave to densify their network.

There was a PR video posted somewhere in this forum where Verizon Wireless is focusing on C-RAN to move away from the traditional macro cell site and instead install equipment on street furniture and buildings. C-RAN will also support the deployment of MMwave technology to help meet that goal, but for now Verizon Wireless will deploy LTE on it.

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drueburgendy View Post
    I don't know how such high spectrum will penetrate walls
    That is where LTE on the low band comes into play..
    That or you'll get anywhere from real signal booster/heavy duty small cell for enterprise settings or a dinky small cell to connect to your router..

Device(s)
    iPhone 7/7+, Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T & Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Prior to buying Straight Path Verizon was looking a light in spectrum comparatively. What I find interesting and am curious about is how is Verizon going to utilize that spectrum nationwide. It makes sense in cities and I think they can get small cells up all over the place. That said, are they going to be putting the effort//capital to maximize the use of that spectrum in small towns throughout America.

For the people who seem knowledgeable on Verizon's future plans, I am interested in your opinions.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    Pioneer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprint_CDMA View Post
    While I completely understand preparing for the future, I don't believe the hype about 5G. At least not until I see it. It's going to be years before it will be operational and providing fast speeds.

Why do I say this? Because LTE is still being deployed, Bands other than 13 or still being deployed, CA is still being implemented, etc.

It does bother me when we hear about all the great potential of 5G when 4G LTE still has not reached its potential (with a few exceptions).

Where I live I'm right next to a Verizon cell site that's only running band 13 and it's overloaded in the evenings. Neighboring cell sites have band 4 & 13. So, where I live, I'm still waiting for what Verizon calls XLTE & LTE Advanced to be fully deployed. Why would I think 5G is coming soon when 4G is still not fully rolled out? I'm glad they are working on the future, but it would be nice if they would complete the present.
    All very good points. None of the carriers are putting out LTE at anywhere close to it's full potential. When they were first talking about LTE, they touted it's gigabyte capability, throwing out huge numbers and saying how wonderful it was going to be, but when they actually started doing LTE, you were lucky to get 10 Mbps, and you are still lucky to get that in a lot of places today.

Verizon still has some places where it only offers 1x, or 3G. Regardless of the reasons why this is true, it is a travesty that in 2017, that is all they can muster for their customers with the largest network in the country. How many years after they launch 5G will it be before those sites get LTE?

AT&T just 7 months ago shut down their 2G/EDGE network, which was the top-end service they offered in parts of the country. And yet when they upgraded all those sites that had only been putting out 2G/EDGE all those years, all they could muster was an upgrade to 3G, or what they call "4G"/HSPA, not LTE. How many years after 5G has been launched will it be before those sites get LTE?

No, LTE has never seen its true potential come about, yet here we are, watching the carriers go on & on about the extreme speeds and services coming just around the corner with 5G. But, and it is a VERY big "but", based on past experience, real-world 5G will probably only be barely better than LTE and it will be years & years before 5G reaches its full potential, if it ever does.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Yeah honestly any speak about 5G is just marketing hype. LTE is more than good enough for at least the next 5-10 years.

Even when 5G hits, it looks to be supplemental vs the quantum leap that was 4G/LTE.

It would be nice to see carriers get more serious about refarming spectrum that currently is being used by LTE.

Feedback Score
    Next door to work there's a tower and this morning some people were working on it. I stopped and talked to them a few minutes. They were Verizon network engineers. When it came to talking about 5g they said the way TMobile is handling things will be top notch. Surprised they mentioned that but they seemed like they lost faith in Verizons plans

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    What all the carriers need to do is densify their networks. LTE isn't the problem, we don't even need a better air interface yet. What we need is a well built out network with nearly ubiquitous usable coverage.

The last time we had that was in the analog days. Coverage has steadily decreased over the years and congestion just gets worse and worse. I know carriers realize they have to add more cell sites, but they'll do anything to get out of actually having to do it.

It takes money to make money. Any carrier that provides a premium experience can charge a premium price. No carrier qualifies at this point; they're all bad in their own different ways.

I wonder how many new sites or small cells could have been added for the price of AOL and Yahoo?

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyjones View Post
    Next door to work there's a tower and this morning some people were working on it. I stopped and talked to them a few minutes. They were Verizon network engineers. When it came to talking about 5g they said the way TMobile is handling things will be top notch. Surprised they mentioned that but they seemed like they lost faith in Verizons plans
    But isn't T-Mobile just planning on utilizing LTE technologies and marketting it as 5G? Other carriers are moving towards those same technologies on their networks so I don't see where T-Mobile would have a leg up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast