Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only getting 3G on Cricket

Feedback Score

Only getting 3G on Cricket

I brought my s6 to Cricket and the activation seemed to have gone smoothly. However, my phone only gets 3G connection even though I live in NYC, which should have LTE. I have Cricket's "Smart Plan" which is supposed to have 8gb of 4G data.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Feedback Score
    Is it a Verizon branded S6? If so, it may not have all the At&t LTE bands. My Prepaid Verizon Galaxy S4 only does HSPA+ on Cricket.

Feedback Score
    It is a Sprint s6. Oh wow I didn't know/consider that.

EDIT: I manually changed the Network Mode to LTE (previously it was automatic), and the phone does say LTE now, but the signal bar is not full. However downloading data seems to be going ok.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Information from GSM Arena & other internet sources tells me this:

The Sprint model supports these LTE bands: band 2(1900), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 12(700), 25(1900), 26(850), 41(2500). Sadly it does not include band 17 which is the 700 MHz band that AT&T uses the most. AT&T also uses bands 2, 4, & 30. 2 & 4 has poor building penetration so that is likely why your signal is low.

Probably still better than Sprint, although I haven't been with them in 10 years or more. Maybe they have improved, who knows?

Feedback Score
    The sprint s6 has band 12 so it will connect to at&t Band 17

Sent from my SM-G955U using HoFo mobile app
    NEXUS 6 ALL DAY

Carrier(s)
    AT&T via Cricket Wireless, Verizon via RedPocket, Alachua County CCC via Motorola SmartZone
    Feedback Score
    Ok then 890

Feedback Score
    I just realize that I cannot make or receive any voice calls on this. I get a "no SIM, or SIM card error" msg. When I test dial my number I get the message that my voice mail box is full.

Data and texting work. What gives?

This is the SIM that came with the Lumia phone. I tried Cricket's support but I reach some lady in India (based on her accent) who was hard to understand. She reset the network but it didn't work.

Has anyone encountered this prob before and what could be wrong? I went to My Cricket and tried to input the SIM's ICCID and my phone's IMEI/ESN number but the site says the numbers are already set up.
    ---

EDIT: After clicking around for a while, I ended up changing the Mobile Networks's "preferred network mode" back to automatic. Now I only get 3G again, but I can make calls...

Feedback Score
    With what you have described it sounds like your APN has not been updated!

I'm not allowed to post links yet but you can find all the correct info on the cricket website

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Can you put the phone into global mode? By putting it in LTE mode you essentially turned off the ability to make voice calls because unless your phone is provisioned for VoLTE on Cricket you can't make calls while on LTE only. What you want is LTE/UMTS - LTE for the data and UMTS for voice. Dial *#*#4636#*#* which should take you to a testing menu. You want to tap on phone information and then scroll down to Set preferred network type. Go into the picklist and select LTE/GSM auto (PRL). That should give you LTE for data and UMTS to make phone calls.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Only getting 3G on Cricket

Is the phone unlocked? Must be to get signal? Anyhow I've read somewhere around here that someone had something similar with a different android phone and had to reload a att version of the OS to get it working right as the other version didn't allow certain functions. Don't know if this would apply.

Anyhow, seen how it's a sprint phone, might be the reason why you can't get LTE and most bands might be missing. Just cause you have one or two doesn't mean you'll get LTE as your area might not have those bands.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robertjglenn View Post
    Can you put the phone into global mode? By putting it in LTE mode you essentially turned off the ability to make voice calls because unless your phone is provisioned for VoLTE on Cricket you can't make calls while on LTE only. What you want is LTE/UMTS - LTE for the data and UMTS for voice. Dial *#*#4636#*#* which should take you to a testing menu. You want to tap on phone information and then scroll down to Set preferred network type. Go into the picklist and select LTE/GSM auto (PRL). That should give you LTE for data and UMTS to make phone calls.
    Ah now I see. The dial code did not work, but going to the Network Connections menu, the only options are LTE/CDMA or GSM/UMTS. There is no LTE/UMTS option. So I guess that explains why I cannot get LTE and voice at the same time.

To answer another poster, the APN has been updated. Cricket send me an automatic configuration txt, then I went online to doublechck it when I was having the voicecall prob.

Feedback Score
    That sucks ... I wonder if you could flash the phone to the att version to get the lte/umts option

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Chances are that menu does exist, just isn't accessible through the code.

Install quickshortcut maker - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en

Once installed, type testing in the search box. It should return one entry.

com.android.setting/com.android.settings.settings$testingsettingsactiv ity

Tap on it, then tap on try it. Assuming the they haven't totally butchered the rom, the menu should be there. Scroll down to network mode or preferred network mode and all the choices should be there.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Chances are that menu does exist, just isn't accessible through the code.

Install quickshortcut maker - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...shortcut&hl=en

Once installed, type testing in the search box. It should return one entry.

com.android.setting/com.android.settings.settings$testingsettingsactiv ity

Tap on it, then tap on try it. Assuming the they haven't totally butchered the rom, the menu should be there. Scroll down to network mode or preferred network mode and all the choices should be there.
    Thank you for the tip. When I clicked on "Try" I get an error msg saying the app needs additional permission to launch?

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm running lineageos based on android 7.1.2. I don't see any additional permissions requested. In fact, it looks like it's not requested any. It is possible that launching that portion of settings may require additional permissions. Can you post a screen shot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast