Thread: tracfone voicemail insanity

Feedback Score

Question tracfone voicemail insanity

Howdy folks,

I am trying to set up voicemail on att powered tracfone byop android phones.

their helpful faq page tells to contact customer service for voicemail instructions.

their incredibly unhelpful reps repeatedly tell you to call VM by holding 1 to call ... the att system picks up and tells you you don't have an account there.

when you tell this to the CSR, they are bewildered that its dialing a different vm number and isntead of telling you waht the actual number for the voicemail is, they say they need to send you a new sim card.

this seems like a ridiculous problem fix. new sim card because my voicemail speed dial is improperly set?? surely there's another way!!

thanks!!
    My Devices
    Nexus 4 -- Tracfone
    Freedompop useless thingy
    Nexus 7, Moto E, Acer A500 -- WiFi (CoX)

Feedback Score

tracfone voicemail insanity

You can just go to call setting and then go into voicemail and change your VM number to your cell number and bam issues solved

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bananapeal View Post

their incredibly unhelpful reps repeatedly tell you to call VM by holding 1 to call ... the att system picks up and tells you you don't have an account there.

when you tell this to the CSR, they are bewildered that its dialing a different vm number and isntead of telling you waht the actual number for the voicemail is, they say they need to send you a new sim card.

this seems like a ridiculous problem fix. new sim card because my voicemail speed dial is improperly set?? surely there's another way!!
    TF rep's suggestion to send you a new SIM notwithstanding, the rep really doesn't know the phone number for voicemail on your phone because it varies depending on regions. At activation of a GSM phone on TF/AT&T, a phone number for voicemail is programmed into the Speed Dial key #1 of your phone. (On a CDMA phone, it's always *86 which corresponds to *VM (Voice Mail) on the dialpad). You can find the actual phone number by going into the Phone app, look at the various settings like Speed Dial, or Voicemail. On my LG Phoenix 2 BYOP, it's in the Voicemail setting.

When you dial voicemail the first time FROM YOUR CELL PHONE, the system should say that your voicemail box has not been set up and walk you through the process of choosing a PIN/password, record your greeting message, etc. After your voicemail box has been set up, you can access your voicemail box from another phone (landline or a phone with unlimited usage) if you don't want to use up your TF units.

Name:  Phoenix-2-Voicemail-number.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  20.0 KB

Feedback Score
    Dialing 1 should prompt you to setup voicemail if it's not already setup . The voicemail numbers for each phone number vary by region.

How long has this number been activated?

If pressing and holding the 1 key is still not allowing you to setup voicemail, try dialing your cell # from the cell phone itself and see if that does any different. Not sure why CS can't help you resolve this .

Howdy folks,

their helpful faq page tells to contact customer service for voicemail instructions.

thanks!!
    Cheers!

Feedback Score

Unhappy is it screwed for being in service so long??

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    How long has this number been activated?
    both phones have been in service awhile, over and under a year or so, without a voicemail. i'd like to add voicemail now. when i call myself it just beeps busy. same with the other phone. on both phones , holding 1 dials att voicemail.

i can buy new sim from dollar general. maybe i change one phone over quickly. i hope nothing gets lost moving to the new sim.

perhaps i can ask new rep to "re-activate" the phone? keep all the minutes /time and things? aah...

the 816 suggestion above is ironically in the middle of the country. one phone lives on east coast the other is on the west coast...
    Last edited by bananapeal; 06-16-2017 at 01:58 PM. Reason: new question

Feedback Score
    Try checking the current voicemail number, write it down, and maybe try changing it to the number hpham gave - you can always change it back. Check and see ... do both phones have the same voicemail number? Do they both do the same thing when you press the 1 key for VM access?

I would not think a new SIM card is required to do fix this VM issues, but that may just fix it as a side effect of transferring SIMs - who knows.

both phones have been in service awhile, over and under a year or so, without a voicemail. i'd like to add voicemail now. when i call myself it just beeps busy. same with the other phone. on both phones , holding 1 dials att voicemail.

i can buy new sim from dollar general. maybe i change one phone over quickly. i hope nothing gets lost moving to the new sim.

perhaps i can ask new rep to "re-activate" the phone? keep all the minutes /time and things? aah...

the 816 suggestion above is ironically in the middle of the country. one phone lives on east coast the other is on the west coast...

Feedback Score
    yes they both go to the att and it's the same nice robotic lady telling me i dont have a thing there.

another thread suggests it's calling the right number!!

On all my GSM phones, and they have different phone numbers, they all call the 'same' regional/semi-local number +14802252975 when I speed dial #1 (your area probably uses a different access number unless you live in my region of the country) and it sends me to the correct mailbox based on the phone I'm calling from.

FYI: If I call the GSM number +14802252975 from my CDMA phone it answers with "Welcome to AT&T voicemail, to access your voicemail we need more information ......"
    this latter cdma scenario happens to me all the time when pressing 1 from gsm att-branded phones with TF sim card inside. when i manually dial the 480 number it says calling voicemail. i live nearby the 480 area code. the east coast phone has a different number, the Missouri number also produces same effect, nice lady on phone telling you "more info..." and ultimately not working.

how csr don't know how to reset the voicemail i'll never understand. maybe i just need to try rep after rep until i get someone who knows how??

i am going to the store. i will buy new activation kit for $1. folks here used to be afraid asking the CS to change sim cards. both phones have year of service. i hope these fears are no longer applicable. it's 2017... we have nice computers, what could go wrong?
    Last edited by bananapeal; 06-16-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: new question. clarity. god help me...

Feedback Score
    Good point. Try using TracFone chat to have them reset your voicemail. Try up to three different reps. Let us know what happens.

Device(s)
    Current:LG Fiesta , Previous:Lg L33L (Sunset), LG L41C (U2)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of voicemail. My dad said he received a text from TF about having to change his voicemail and a link to instructions. Is this a real thing or is someone trying to scam him somehow?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lorisay View Post
    Speaking of voicemail. My dad said he received a text from TF about having to change his voicemail and a link to instructions. Is this a real thing or is someone trying to scam him somehow?
    That came up before. Seems they are moving some voicemail centers, so the access number will be different. I assume the carrier is AT&T? Where was the link to?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lorisay View Post
    Yes, it's legitimate. Now and then the carrier wants to move their voicemail server and you have to move your voicemail box.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It wasn't a suggestion. I was just posting the voicemail phone number on my phone. I live in Kansas, about 60 miles west of the KS/MO border. The 816 area code is for the Kansas City, MO area, confirming that the voicemail number programmed into a phone is regional, depending on the zip code where the phone was activated.

The voicemail access number is not really important. You can use the number for another region. All the different regional numbers for one carrier (AT&T in this case) go to the same voicemail system, the carrier just programs in different regional numbers instead of one number for the entire country because that number surely will be overloaded.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It wasn't a suggestion. I was just posting the voicemail phone number on my phone. I live in Kansas, about 60 miles west of the KS/MO border. The 816 area code is for the Kansas City, MO area, confirming that the voicemail number programmed into a phone is regional, depending on the zip code where the phone was activated.

The voicemail access number is not really important. You can use the number for another region. All the different regional numbers for one carrier (AT&T in this case) go to the same voicemail system, the carrier just programs in different regional numbers instead of one number for the entire country because that number surely will be overloaded.
    Very true. I live in San Diego and my AT&T VM number is a Nevada area code.

Carrier(s)
    guess
    Feedback Score
    If you don't set up voicemail within a certain time, 60 days I believe, it's removed for good. Does not matter if it's Tracfone or ATT post paid, nothing you can do.

If it was not removed just call your own number from your phone, then press star.