Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Service Degrading

Feedback Score

Service Degrading

I've avoided Verizon for years due to cost, and I've always known they had the best service. All my friends who have had them said great things. I came when unlimited was introduced again and was skeptical. I was afraid the network speed would suffer.

As I do more speed test, I see my speeds lower than they were when I would test others phones before unlimited and this is in many different areas at different times. Has anyone else noticed this? It's got me thinking about going back to AT&T.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6P, Nexus 6, Moto G4 Play
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What speeds are you getting?

I've noticed that the speeds in my area vary by location and time of day. I'm not happy when it's slower, but I've not gotten to where it affects my ability to use the phone. But I'm one that doesn't mind waiting a few more seconds for something to appear.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Service Degrading

I look at it this way:

Verizon has twice as many customers as T-Mobile. I’m not surprised there are more congested areas now vs before unlimited came around. It isn’t going to get any better until they add more spectrum to more places. T-Mobile does claim they have the fastest speeds, which is correct, but like I mentioned, that’s only because they have half the customer base as Verizon. Once T-Mobile starts to catch up, the same thing will be happening to T-Mobile.

Also, I’m the person that cares more about having coverage/service and putting up with slower speeds vs having faster speeds and less coverage. If I cared more about speeds, I would go back to T-Mobile.

In my area and all around, speeds are no issue. I was in Detroit last week with at least 10,000 people in the area and speeds were still in the mid to upper 40s with my fiancé‘ iPhone 6s+ and my 7+. AT&T was slower. A couple years ago I was in Detroit with speeds near or at 100. So yes, last week Detroit was congested but speeds were still great.

It is all based on location, though. Some congested areas are good while others, not so much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    Bad, like 4mb...sometimes about 15mb. It used to be about 80!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    I think 15 Mb/s is around average for Verizon, and 4 Mb/s will do just about anything with your phone other than take longer to download something. You can stream in HD on less than 4 Mb/s, and all the social media apps should still pop up quickly enough (if you use them). If you use Remote Desktop or VNC like I do for work, 4 MB/s isn't fun when transferring files but for everything else it works as expected.

In my area (Milwaukee/Waukesha) there are times during the day when it drops to 2 Mb/s, then two hours later it comes back up again.

freakonomics101 says it perfectly for me as well:
    I’m the person that cares more about having coverage/service and putting up with slower speeds vs having faster speeds and less coverage.
    Don't get me wrong, if speed is the primary factor for having cellular service, knock yourself out with another carrier. I myself want to be able to use my phone in the most places as I travel, and although AT&T is second in coverage, I can get Verizon for almost the same amount of money and have the most coverage of all the carriers.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kb7qdi View Post
    I think 15 Mb/s is around average for Verizon, and 4 Mb/s will do just about anything with your phone other than take longer to download something. You can stream in HD on less than 4 Mb/s, and all the social media apps should still pop up quickly enough (if you use them). If you use Remote Desktop or VNC like I do for work, 4 MB/s isn't fun when transferring files but for everything else it works as expected.

In my area (Milwaukee/Waukesha) there are times during the day when it drops to 2 Mb/s, then two hours later it comes back up again.

freakonomics101 says it perfectly for me as well:

Don't get me wrong, if speed is the primary factor for having cellular service, knock yourself out with another carrier. I myself want to be able to use my phone in the most places as I travel, and although AT&T is second in coverage, I can get Verizon for almost the same amount of money and have the most coverage of all the carriers.
    That's a good point. The 5gb 55 Verizon postpaid plan isnt a bad deal. 50 on att gives a measly 1gb unless you get on some kind of "loyalty" plan or go with the gimped out $60 unlimited. The Verizon plan allows discounts also which makes it pretty competitive

Sent from my XT1030 using HoFo mobile app
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    Verizon's postpaid plans are all cheaper than AT&T's. I don't think Verizon should still be picked on for being the most expensive. Even Verizon's prepaid plans are a better value than AT&T's GoPhone or Cricket because with Verizon, the data is full speed and carries over unused data, and you get wifi calling and voLTE.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur101 View Post
    The 5gb 55 Verizon postpaid plan isnt a bad deal.
    That's the plan I'm on. With domestic roaming, rollover data, tethering, and VoLTE, it is an excellent plan. My Nexus 6P can't be configured for WiFi Calling, but to be honest I haven't been in a situation where I've needed it.

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Service Degrading

Indeed, I am also noticing data service degrading. There are a few places I go where download bandwidth is now around 0.1Mbps. I also frequently see speeds around 1Mbps. Sure there are still islands of 50+Mbps.

This is also beginning to be reflected in the rootmetrics data for Seattle. VZW went from first to third place between 2H2016 and 1H2017.

I would actually be fine with anything around 3-5Mbps, but below 1Mbps things start getting painful.

It's hard not to correlate this with the release of unlimited data plans. I realize we don't have enough data to establish causation.

At this point it seems like my Cricket and T-mobile lines both do a better job of providing reasonably useful data in Seattle, Bellevue, and the east side suburbs. Verizon still wins on rural coverage, but I am only in rural areas for at most 1-2 weeks a year.

Six months ago I would have complained that coverage in my neighbourhood was bad (it still is), but the Verizon data service was overall quite good.

The tests below are on postpaid service.

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1497720555.247760.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  204.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1497720574.382261.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  204.2 KB
    Last edited by mch; 06-17-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by catt3911 View Post
    This is typical speed range for my area(central Oregon). I've never gotten speeds anywhere close to what others have posted here. However, I also never obsess over speeds I just use my devices and never have issues doing what I need. If it's slower I'm not really noticing, but 80 to 100 MB down ranges? Never. My preference for Verizon is for their awesome coverage. My phone generally works everywhere and when hiking remote areas it's nice to have that extra security. T-Mo, while maybe fast in cities wouldn't work at all in the back country.
    http://howardforums.com/showthread.p...ghlight=cbreze

Moto X Pure / HTC 10 / iPhone 7

Device(s)
    Incredible
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I'm good as long as my calls don't drop/breakup, netflix loads fine, web pages load fine, and all of my apps work. It doesn't matter to me if I get 100mb or 5mb down, it's all the same to me.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by new-toy View Post
    Verizon's postpaid plans are all cheaper than AT&T's. I don't think Verizon should still be picked on for being the most expensive. Even Verizon's prepaid plans are a better value than AT&T's GoPhone or Cricket because with Verizon, the data is full speed and carries over unused data, and you get wifi calling and voLTE.
    Agree with postpaid. Verizon is usually better priced.

Disagree about prepaid. Hard to top 6GB in USA and Mexico for $40 a month on GoPhone IMO. Verizon also caps prepaid video now while att it's optional. I do hope GoPhone gets wifi calling soon though, that's nice VZ offers it on prepaid.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge, Note 5, Galaxy Tab S2
    Carrier(s)
    T,T-Mo,VZ.
    Feedback Score
    Well, I think Verizon can upgrade sites without necessarily adding more spectrum. In Imlay City Michigan for example, speeds were running 20-40 down during peak times on 30 MHz of DL spectrum (4+13). They've recently upgraded the site to 256 QAM and it appears backhaul was scaled up as well. Now, with the same spectrum speeds are hitting anywhere from 50-150 down depending on which direction from site you are. Definitely a noticeable improvement.

Feedback Score

Service Degrading

AT&T generally pulled higher speed tests for me 6-12 Mbs at least.

I've been getting 2-4Mbs indoors with Verizon , but as was stated it does matter where you are in relation to the tower. I am between 2-3 miles from three different towers and inside. I can get the 20-30Mbs and 80-100Mbs very close by or if I go outside. I think Verizon had to devote a lot of bandwidth to Volte because they did not have an intermediate HSPA like AT&T did. So I actually think Voice is eating a bunch of Verizon's Bandwidth.

But unlike Sprint where their 3G is unusable or like how T-Mobile used to do is flag your signal as 4G but then deliver dial-up speeds, the speeds from any of Verizon's technologies, whether 3G or LTE are plenty to get the job done.

But I never think twice about pulling up Maps or FaceTime. Always enough bandwidth for those.
    Last edited by techfranz; 06-17-2017 at 06:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Moto X 2015
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Verizon only advertises 5-12 Mbps, so if you're within those paramaters, they are providing what you should expect. Anything more than that is gravy and available for capacity.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast