Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Service Degrading

Device(s)
    iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    But unlike Sprint where their 3G is unusable or like how T-Mobile used to do is flag your signal as 4G but then deliver dial-up speeds, the speeds from any of Verizon's technologies, whether 3G or LTE are plenty to get the job done.
    I disagree with this statement. I've never had a Verizon 3G signal in recent years that was fast enough to do anything. Loading a website on 3G is painfully slow most of the time. That said, I'm on LTE most of the time so it's been awhile since I've even dropped down to 3G.

I find everyone's obsession with speeds amusing however. As long as you have 3-4 Mbps download speeds, you should be able to do anything you want. It seems like HoFo members run speed tests all the time. Why would you run a speed test unless you are having trouble loading data? Maybe if everyone stopped running speed tests all day, carriers would have a lot more capacity!

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    For me being able to make calls is top priority. Text prob second and then data. Realized the other day being able to make calls is most important for me. Not saying data isn't important but I tell myself now if I can at least make calls I'm ok

As for data if it's usable that's what matters most. Fast speeds are more for bragging rights. 20 down vs 100 down doesn't make much difference other than bragging rights for my use
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    I disagree with this statement. I've never had a Verizon 3G signal in recent years that was fast enough to do anything. Loading a website on 3G is painfully slow most of the time. That said, I'm on LTE most of the time so it's been awhile since I've even dropped down to 3G.
    OK I think I should clarify that when I am on 3G it is because I manually turned LTE off on my handset. So it could be assumed that I am connecting to nearby towers that have available bandwidth because my LTE works fine.

I can't remember last time I was in the boonies and it dropped to 3G.

So my point applies to 3G in LTE areas which is almost everywhere anyway.

Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1497797215.049739.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  37.7 KB

Device(s)
    Nexus 6p,iphone 6s plus
    Carrier(s)
    VZW,T-mobile,Cricket,Fi
    Feedback Score

Service Degrading

Quote Originally Posted by CavanalClimber View Post
    Verizon only advertises 5-12 Mbps, so if you're within those paramaters, they are providing what you should expect. Anything more than that is gravy and available for capacity.
    5 Mbps is just fine with me. It is the sub 1Mbps LTE speeds that are painful. I didn't see much of that six months ago. Now I see it frequently.

For now, I have switched to using another carrier as my main line. Just pointed my google voice number to my T-mobile line so that I have usable service. I still want to keep Verizon on hand for rural coverage and in a year Verizon probably will have fixed its capacity issues.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
    That's my experience with Verizon 3G speeds as well. Verizon has the slowest 3G network of any of the 4 carriers. Even Sprint is faster. And unfortunately for me, where I live Verizon is mostly 3G, which is why I had to switch carriers.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Service Degrading

I live in NYC and i'm now getting dropped to 3G more than before. Verizon's 3G is unusable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgore View Post
    I live in NYC and i'm now getting dropped to 3G more than before. Verizon's 3G is unusable.

That's weird, in my experience they've gotten better in NYC after densifying with small cells and ODAS systems. Are you still talking about that 2 block radius where service has been weak?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by erikkarma808 View Post
    That's my experience with Verizon 3G speeds as well. Verizon has the slowest 3G network of any of the 4 carriers. Even Sprint is faster. And unfortunately for me, where I live Verizon is mostly 3G, which is why I had to switch carriers.
    Where do you live where Verizon is 3g? What carrier did you switch to?

Feedback Score
    Ah the irony...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khazara View Post
    Ah the irony...

If it's that bad why not switch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by khazara View Post
    Ah the irony...

Yeah and I have seen T-Mobile speeds just like that in plenty of areas so who are they kidding?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2