T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

AT&T “Actively Testing” Four Carrier Aggregation: LAA On the Way

https://www.wirelessweek.com/news/20...d-devices-soon

Name:  Att logo store JeepersMedia-photo on flickr.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  30.6 KB

Carrier aggregation is one of those next level LTE-Advanced technologies that has slowly become the new standard at the nation’s top wireless carriers. T-Mobile said it started toying with carrier aggregation all the way back in 2014. Verizon last August crowed over its nationwide launch of the feature, and Sprint and AT&T have also moved ahead with deployments of the technology as well. Even C Spire, the nation’s sixth-largest wireless carrier, is now using carrier aggregation to boost speeds in Mississippi.

Most of these efforts center on two- and three-channel carrier aggregation, but AT&T is pushing things a step further. Back at Mobile World Congress in March, AT&T’s VP of RAN and Device Design Gordon Mansfield told Wireless Week the carrier had four carrier aggregation in its sights for the second half of this year. This week, Mansfield said AT&T is well on its way to that goal.

“We are actively testing four carrier aggregation and are on track for this to start showing up in devices in the near future,” Mansfield commented. “We have rolled out 256-QAM and 4X4 MIMO in a significant part of our network already and this makes up some of the functionality required as a first step in our evolution to 5G.”

The latter part of Mansfield’s update is a reference to AT&T’s 5G Evolution plan, which calls for the carrier to utilize carrier aggregation and Licensed Assisted Access (LAA) to enable theoretical peak speeds of up to 1 Gbps before the end of this year. Mansfield in March noted the unlicensed element will be key to hitting the gigabit mark.

“You can get close, you can get up to several hundred (Mbps) with just the macro network and the licensed spectrum, but the way you get to a gigabit is you use licensed spectrum with 4x4 MIMO and 256-QAM and you bring in LAA with unlicensed carriers. And in that case it will actually be 4CA,” he explained.

Mansfield said previously the upgrades to four carrier aggregation will be made via software updates in the carrier’s network. On the device end, Mansfield indicated at MWC that some LTE-Advanced capabilities will be available on new handsets right out of the box. But other technologies, like LAA, will have to be added through an over-the-air software update pushed out over the network later in the year, he added.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    "you can get up to several hundred (Mbps) with just the macro network and the licensed spectrum"

Anything to avoid small cells. Adding bands and aggregating them is smart, but it can't be their only strategy, but it seems to be for my market.
    Verizon Wireless: 2001-2004 & 2011-2013
    Cingular/AT&T: 2004-2006 & 2008-2009 & 2013-Present
    Sprint: 2006-2007 & 2009-2011

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This won't mean anything if all the channels are clogged up like they are on some very important sites in my area. I imagine some lucky people will hit some insane speeds when this does get rolled out on site and UE.

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    "you can get up to several hundred (Mbps) with just the macro network and the licensed spectrum"

Anything to avoid small cells. Adding bands and aggregating them is smart, but it can't be their only strategy, but it seems to be for my market.
    They have plans to add C-RAN starting this year.

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    They have plans to add C-RAN starting this year.
    Mostly in areas where AT&T is the ilec I believe. At least that's what they've said publicly. I'd like for them to send lots of money to crown castle.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Airb330 View Post
    Mostly in areas where AT&T is the ilec I believe. At least that's what they've said publicly. I'd like for them to send lots of money to crown castle.
    They're working on small cells in the NYC area currently. Should be live by the end of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeybutts View Post
    They're working on small cells in the NYC area currently. Should be live by the end of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app
    Have you seen any deployed ? According to an article I read they plan on deploying them the end of this year.