Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Has anybody gone data only (Not VoLTE).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Been using the fp lte/gv arrangement since arrangement since ringplus ***** the bed. Actually have used GV for a years now but the move to data only service came after rp's demise. For the most part it works ok. There's slightly better voice quality using a google voice gateway (simonics.com) with a real voip client on android. There maybe some device/rom/android version peculiarities but usually there's work arounds. I'd love to use csipsimple but it doesn't work right on android 7. It doesn't wake up for inbound calls. As long as the data signal is decent, data/voip only should work fine.

Few weeks ago, got an opportunity to to join a cricket group at $10 a month. For $120 a year and 4GB of data it was too good of a deal to pass up. I still keep the fp sim in slot 2 just in case.
    That was just best next everything adventure a dish dual SIM phone, can you shut one sun Sim totally​ off yet retain 2 different apns?

Sent from my Z820 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rs899 View Post
    Yes. I have all that, but unless I have something toggled incorrectly in gv or hangouts or FP, I get nothing on the Google side.
    I take it you have Google voice and Hangouts dialer downloaded?

Feedback Score
    In hangouts I went to settings/Account and tapped on it to get to general settings and down a couple is incoming calls and below that your google voice number with messages just below that,that needs to be turned on to get messages from your google voice.

Feedback Score
    Toggle the Hangouts switches even if already on, this will disconnect sms from the gv app if applicable, you actually don't even need the gv app if you're strictly using Hangouts.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    That was just best next everything adventure a dish dual SIM phone, can you shut one sun Sim totally​ off yet retain 2 different apns?

What?

I'll answer the second part as I don't understand the first.

Correct, I can shut off individual sim cards/slots. Each one has it's own network mode and apn entries. I suppose if I ever did run out of lte data, I'd leave the cricket sim enabled in 4g mode (wcdma/umts) for voice calls while the fp sim would be in lte mode. Only one sim can be in lte mode at a time. Phone is the axon 7.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    What?

I'll answer the second part as I don't understand the first.

Correct, I can shut off individual sim cards/slots. Each one has it's own network mode and apn entries. I suppose if I ever did run out of lte data, I'd leave the cricket sim enabled in 4g mode (wcdma/umts) for voice calls while the fp sim would be in lte mode. Only one sim can be in lte mode at a time. Phone is the axon 7.
    Sorry, major spell check error. Thanks for the info, the Axon 7 and Axon 7 mini are the ones I had in mind. Since you're using 2 at&t and sim cards if you set the FP one to LTE doesn't that render the Cricket Sim to nothing (assuming the opposite of the LTE Sim runs in 2g only, of which at&t doesn't use anymore). I guess I don't fully understand dual Sim functionality, say I have a T-Mobile SIM in one slot and freedompop in the other, the fp Sim being switched to LTE, would that set the TMobile Sim to 2g? But isn't 2g still a data band?

Device(s)
    w376g
    Carrier(s)
    tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Yes. I have all that, but unless I have something toggled incorrectly in gv or hangouts or FP, I get nothing on the Google side.
    I sometimes forward my GV# to work. If the work voicemail picks up, GV thinks the call went through so there is no GV message to be left.
    Can you turn off the freedompop voicemail or extend the pickup time past the 25sec GV time limit.

FreedomPop sounds interesting. What's a good place to get some solid info on using it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcoverage View Post
    I sometimes forward my GV# to work. If the work voicemail picks up, GV thinks the call went through so there is no GV message to be left.
    Can you turn off the freedompop voicemail or extend the pickup time past the 25sec GV time limit.

FreedomPop sounds interesting. What's a good place to get some solid info on using it.
    I bought my fp Sim through eBay, I think the $10 was worth it, they set up the friends data, and yes I'm my account there's an option to turn voicemail off.

Feedback Score
    Add me to the list of of data only users. FreedomPop AT&T LTE works just fine for my VoIP calls. Relatively small town so the network is not often overloaded. I made the transition it steps. Started with a dual SIM phone. Lyca paygo for calls and FP for data. I had GV forwarded to the Lyca number and also set to ring in Hangouts. For a month I always answered (and dialed) with Hangouts. Then I stopped forwarding calls to Lyca but left it installed "just in case". After 2 months it never got used so it now resides in a drawer and a second FP SIM is in slot 2.

Feedback Score
    Google voice short codes, sms don't work with a lot of places, Uber being a major one, Wells Fargo immidiately rejects sending a verification text to Google voice numbers, goggle voice numbers aren't real cell numbers, they've VoIP numbers and apparently a lot of institutions won't allow them. Though I rarely use Uber, I could see it causing a problem, that's why I was thinking of using a dual Sim set-up with a T-Mobile $3 a month Sim in one slot, which includes 30 talk, or text a month, plus if I'm ever in a no data situation, I can fall back on normal circuit switched voice.

Feedback Score
    In my case I have an unlimited LTE at&t data only Sim that's meant for tablets, but it does work, at least in my limited testing fine in a phone, you just have to change the Apn. This Sim has no voice or text capabilities.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by orionwolfpack View Post
    Add me to the list of of data only users. FreedomPop AT&T LTE works just fine for my VoIP calls. Relatively small town so the network is not often overloaded. I made the transition it steps. Started with a dual SIM phone. Lyca paygo for calls and FP for data. I had GV forwarded to the Lyca number and also set to ring in Hangouts. For a month I always answered (and dialed) with Hangouts. Then I stopped forwarding calls to Lyca but left it installed "just in case". After 2 months it never got used so it now resides in a drawer and a second FP SIM is in slot 2.
    Mind me asking what dual SIM phone you have?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Exactly that. I get a message in the Freedom pop app that tells me I had a call from {xxx) xxx-xxxx but if I want to get it I need to have premium services turned on. Nothing shows up in GV.

Did you figure it out?
    Yes. I use ONLY my GV # with Hangouts. I've never used a FP # or the FP app. Missed calls to my GV # go straight to my GV voicemail and I listen to them through the Hangouts app on my phone or tablet or on my computer. It seems to me involving a FP phone # and the FP app only adds unneeded complications.

Feedback Score
    To my knowledge there's no way of dialing out of the FP app to show your gv number, if there is it seems just to convoluted.

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp99 View Post
    Sorry, major spell check error. Thanks for the info, the Axon 7 and Axon 7 mini are the ones I had in mind. Since you're using 2 at&t and sim cards if you set the FP one to LTE doesn't that render the Cricket Sim to nothing (assuming the opposite of the LTE Sim runs in 2g only, of which at&t doesn't use anymore). I guess I don't fully understand dual Sim functionality, say I have a T-Mobile SIM in one slot and freedompop in the other, the fp Sim being switched to LTE, would that set the TMobile Sim to 2g? But isn't 2g still a data band?
    Axon 7 will do 3g on one sim and lte on the other. It doesn't need to drop down to 2g (edge) for the non lte sim.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast