Thread: data usage on new activation

Feedback Score

data usage on new activation

I activated the LG Tribute HD on the boost mobile service on the 3 GB plan.

It kept lagging and rebooted with the boost logo about 10 times before it stopped.

I had the phone on cellular not wifi. I guess I should have put it on wifi but did not think of it.

I did not use any data myself yet intentionally.

I look at data usage on the phone and see 512 MB used total:
    1. Android OS: used 416 MB.
    2. Amazon: used 42.39 MB. I see some icon from amazon was downloaded so I assume that is what this is from.
    3. Opera max: used 18.12 MB. I started this app up but it should not have used any data as far as I know so not sure why it shows 18.12 MB. This app is suppose to save me data.
    All other data usage is small so not going to list it here.

When i look at my account I only see 43 MB usage so far.

I see the phone says there is an android system update and ask if I want to install it.

I wonder if the android system update is what used the 416 MB and perhaps I don't get charged data for that.

Does anyone know what the android system update is and should I install it?

Feedback Score
    Useally a security update / software update.

Feedback Score
    i think you are right that it is likely a security update.

forcing a large download when you are not expecting it is not good in my opinion. that is why my phone was lagging.

today it was automatically downloaded more boost software and when it does that it lags and then shows the boost reboot logo.

i wish i knew how to get rid of all those boost apps. a firewall might help. they just update wherever they like.

i also get an error saying mobile id stopped which is another app i don't want.

Feedback Score
    If you can't delete the Boost apps just disable them. I do that will most boost apps with no issues

Feedback Score
    Looking at the data usage on my phone today is reads 1.933 GB total.

Looking at the website it reads 1.909 GB out of 3.072 GB.

I looked at the android system update and it says it is 421.2 MB.

Before it looked like I did not get charged for the 421.2 MB but now it looks like I did. It might not have been updated when I looked before.

When I activated the phone it kept doing a lag and reboot thing about 10 times. At the time I thought this was normal but I later found out it likely was caused by a conflict between opera max and mobile ID. Removing opera max fixed this issue. So this lag issue was likely not caused by the large download like I originally thought.

In any event it seems they pushed the 421.2 MB update on me when I activated which in my opinion is bad practice. Not sure if this is googles fault or the carriers fault.

I also don't think it is right to charge me for system updates when on limited data. If I was given a choice I would not use my data to download a system update or could at least wait until I can use wi-fi to download it.

I assume if I was connected to wi-fi it would not have used my data but wi-fi is not always available.

In the future I will need to connect to wi-fi before doing an activation or if I do a factory reset because I assume it will push the system update on me.