Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto X Pure on Tracfone EVER getting Android 7.0 ??

Device(s)
    LG Dare (Verizon)
    Feedback Score

Moto X Pure on Tracfone EVER getting Android 7.0 ??

I'm stalling out on searches to forgive me if this has been covered and I just overlooked it. But is anyone using the Moto X Pure on Tracfone, and have you received the Android 7.0 update to it yet?

All articles I can find online kept talking about how it was "rolling out" and the most updated I could find was late April. Yet here in late June, my phone isn't updating either with an auto notification or via settings if I manually check. Just says my phone is up to date (at Android 6.0). Lenovo never answered an email I sent them to ask about it.

Any luck with anyone else?

Feedback Score
    This has nothing to do with tracfone. You can check here:

It says for the Moto X pure (quote):

MOTO X PURE EDITION (2015)
    This device will be upgraded to the Android 7 (Nougat) release, pending partner support.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have it on good authority that it's coming, but not the when part. Looking at that link, under Tracfone, it's not listed though.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FT_VZW View Post
    This has nothing to do with tracfone. You can check here:

It says for the Moto X pure (quote):

MOTO X PURE EDITION (2015)
    This device will be upgraded to the Android 7 (Nougat) release, pending partner support.
    Non-carrier-branded Motorola phones update OTA independently of whatever carrier they are using.

The quote above is confusing because I thought all Moto X Pure Edition phones were non-carrier-branded, so it seems like "pending partner support" shouldn't be applicable to the Moto X Pure Edition.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone - Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Similar situation for Moto G Play. Has rolled out starting in Brazil but that's about all I can find for that phone. Supposed to get Nougat as well starting in June.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't have anything to do with TF. It is Motorola/Lenovo that is dragging their feet. The 7.0 release was supposed to be Q4 2016. Then Feb 2017, then May 2017, and the latest was June 2017. I have the US retail version which should not require any carrier support (if you look in Settings/About Phone and look at the System version...if it has retus in the version, it is the US retail version.) I don't know if it was ever sold Carrier branded. The only "partner" that could be testing is the Google OS folks. I have been following this on a number of forums and it may be that there are issues that have come up in "soak" testing.

I have gotten 2 security updates but they were not "pushed" OTA. I had to do a manual check for updates. I have been doing a manual update check, about once a week, for months. I have even tried removing the TF sim before doing the check...nada.

This will be the last Moto/Lenovo phone I will ever purchase. Lenovo feels no obligation to provide timely updates or support. Keeping promises does not seem to be a priority.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    I went out on a limb purchasing these devices with the expectation they would at least see Nougat. I could live with that for the foreseeable future since the devices that were replaced were stuck on KitKat and no complaints from the wife and kid. Still a very nice device, but the lack of even security updates is disappointing.

Had google maintained ownership of Motorola Mobility I think we would have seen much better support for this device.

There really should be an FCC mandate for timely security updates and at least 2 generations of OS upgrades guaranteed.

There really needs to be some sort of standard integration of OS upgrades for all devices pushed out by the OEM that are not incumbent on the underlying carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ls61 View Post
    I went out on a limb purchasing these devices with the expectation they would at least see Nougat. I could live with that for the foreseeable future since the devices that were replaced were stuck on KitKat and no complaints from the wife and kid. Still a very nice device, but the lack of even security updates is disappointing.

Had google maintained ownership of Motorola Mobility I think we would have seen much better support for this device.

There really should be an FCC mandate for timely security updates and at least 2 generations of OS upgrades guaranteed.

There really needs to be some sort of standard integration of OS upgrades for all devices pushed out by the OEM that are not incumbent on the underlying carrier.
    I have gotten 2 security updates. The last one dated 12/16.

Feedback Score
    what is the advantage of the latest version?

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG Rebel 2, Moto E4
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    There are some new features which might or might not be of interest to you. Nougat vs Marshmallow . My LG Phoenix 2 GoPhone got updated to Nougat, but I dislike the "blinding white" background of the Settings screen. Also, most of my apps continue to work after the update, but some (like the VUDU movie app) no longer work.

Feedback Score
    Some are hung up on having the latest version of an OS for sometimes no good reason. Good example is Marshmallow, which mostly does not allow app moving to the SD card. Yet, Marshmallow is installed on a lot of lower end 8GB phones that have very little storage left for user apps. They seem to have corrected this mistake in Nougat.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You have options.

1) iOS/Windows. They control updates not the carrier.

2) bootloader unlockable devices and 3rd party ROMs.

Sorry you don't like tbe Android model. Pick something else. Or work within the system and it's known limitations.

Option 2 is how I can run Android N on my long discontinued and abandoned tablets and phones.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    You have options.

1) iOS/Windows. They control updates not the carrier.

2) bootloader unlockable devices and 3rd party ROMs.

Sorry you don't like tbe Android model. Pick something else. Or work within the system and it's known limitations.

Option 2 is how I can run Android N on my long discontinued and abandoned tablets and phones.
    Well that is just it, the model needs to be standardized in the interest of the consumers.

Many drawbacks to rooting and flashing custom ROMs on newer OS these days, tripping android security causing issues like Netflix app compatibility with a flashed device and the like.

Any actual update can be a serious obstacle if they patch the exploit used to root.

Very few actually even contemplate rooting and flashing custom ROMs and we as consumers should not have to jump through those hoops

Just because this is how it is currently designed does not mean we have to like it or accept it without at least voicing our opinions in public, change does not come from those who do not ask.

Sorry you are so comfortable with the status quo.

Device(s)
    G2, MotoG, Droid Mini, (retired: GS3, Droid4, L41C, Droid3, S390G, LG500G, T404G, T301G, V170)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Just because this is how it is currently designed does not mean we have to like it or accept it without at least voicing our opinions in public, change does not come from those who do not ask.
    Vote with the only thing they care about, your wallet.

Don't like Google's model? Don't buy products that use their OS.

I'm not happy with the recent changes regarding root and custom OSes. My choice is to not use products that don't allow me to control my device. Imagine a PC application that wouldn't run if you had an admin account on the computer. Not, just not run as admin, but the mere existence of the admin account prevented use.

I don't like having to use security flaws to get full access either. I'd much rather just enter a code to unlock and do what I want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Vote with the only thing they care about, your wallet.

Don't like Google's model? Don't buy products that use their OS.

I'm not happy with the recent changes regarding root and custom OSes. My choice is to not use products that don't allow me to control my device. Imagine a PC application that wouldn't run if you had an admin account on the computer. Not, just not run as admin, but the mere existence of the admin account prevented use.

I don't like having to use security flaws to get full access either. I'd much rather just enter a code to unlock and do what I want.
    Yeah, and Google is famous for not listening. I've seen people complain in Google forums for years that the basic Android Gmail app by design randomly scrambles the inbox and loses emails. Should be a no brainer to fix, but they never have

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast