Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

PBS will remain on the air in rural areas thanks to T-Mobile

https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/29/...reas-t-mobile/

PBS announced today that T-Mobile has agreed to foot the bill for public broadcasting's translators to move to new frequencies, which they'll have to do in order to stay on the air after the FCC's incentive auction. T-Mobile bid $8 billion and received 45 percent of the low-band spectrum auctioned off by the FCC earlier this year. The TV channels operating on the sold-off spectrum now have to move to lower channels, share with other networks or shut down. Because the FCC isn't providing funding for translators to be repackaged, 38 million Americans, largely in rural areas, were at risk of losing access to PBS if those broadcast facilities shut down. T-Mobile's agreement to pay for the repackaging costs will keep PBS on the air in those areas.

The FCC's incentive auction was years in the making. It's goal was to free up airwaves to host more wireless services. It had TV broadcasters sell some of their low-band spectrum, which was then auctioned off to companies who would use it to spread their wireless services. In April, the auction results were announced and T-Mobile, Dish, Comcast and US Cellular took home the largest chunks. The FCC made nearly $20 billion off of the auction, $10 billion of which is to go the 175 broadcasters that sold off their spectrum.

With T-Mobile helping pay for public broadcasting's repackaging, it will make sure the entire country retains access to PBS's programs, which include educational programming, as well as important information like emergency alerts. According to Current, the fees covered under the agreement include equipment, engineering, installation and legal fees

In a statement, PBS president and CEO Paula Kerger said, ""We are thrilled that T-Mobile sees the value that public broadcasting brings to the American people and is helping to ensure that everyone—regardless of income or zip code—continues to have access to PBS, including vital emergency alerts and programs that help prepare children for success in school."
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    Samsung Avant, Nexus 5X, Moto G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Project Fi, PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    You can call Mississippi backward if you like but we have a state-owned public, educational TV & radio network that covers every inch of the state. When I go to Florida there are great gaps in the educational TV & radio network.
    Donald Newcomb

Device(s)
    LG G4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    You can call Mississippi backward if you like but we have a state-owned public, educational TV & radio network that covers every inch of the state. When I go to Florida there are great gaps in the educational TV & radio network.
    Kansas is covered much the same way for the radio network. TV can be a bit iffy due to how rural some areas are in the western portion of the state. The current governor has tried to kill off public TV and radio but only had limited success. There was a huge cut in funding but the people of the state ended up being able to fill that drop (the Koch brothers actually filled in a large portion of that money). Being that I use OTA I love that PBS is available for NOVA and other such shows.

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Very classy move by T-Mobile. While as far as I'm concerned, PBS and NPR aren't worth what my dog left in the back yard this morning, this shows the naysayers that a large company can do the right thing without being forced to by the overreaching hand of government.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by clonehappy View Post
    Very classy move by T-Mobile. While as far as I'm concerned, PBS and NPR aren't worth what my dog left in the back yard this morning, this shows the naysayers that a large company can do the right thing without being forced to by the overreaching hand of government.
    PBS an NPR nationally have their issues but our state TV network has 4 channels: 1. Main programming feed, which includes PBS, BBC news, locally produced programs, etc. 2. Kids programming 3. Create-TV (cooking and travel) 4. Classical music feed from the radio network. The radio network has the main analog FM, which is a combination of national (PBS) and local programming and the digital channel which is all classical music. There's also a radio reading service for the blind. (The last two require a special receiver.) You can stream the main and classical radio channels on a mobile app. So, the people of the state get a lot of value out of one studio and 8 transmitter sites. It's not all the left leaning programming coming out of DC and Boston. There's even a locally produced hunting and fishing show.

Anyway, for the locales that get OTA educational TV via a translator, T-Mobile is doing a good thing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
    Some consider the idea of official government-controlled media to be "backwards", sorry.

North Korea has the same, after all.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NotABiot View Post
    Some consider the idea of official government-controlled media to be "backwards", sorry.

North Korea has the same, after all.
    BBC too? It is called "Public Broadcasting" for a reason. Private broadcasters aren't interested in educating, except on how to be a brat and demand that Mommy and Daddy buy you unnecessary stuff. Most OTA educational TV is handled by state entities, be it the local state-funded college (e.g. Florida) or a single state-wide network (e.g. MS, KS). It just differs in the number of hands that touch the money.

Feedback Score
    They call it "public broadcasting" because that euphemism sounds better to Americans than the more accurate "government-controlled media".

To each their own, and the educational content of channels controlled by the people... where it is entirely voluntary choice of individuals whether to pay for it in any way (TLC, Discovery, HBO, C-SPAN, History, etc) as compared to those controlled by the government can be argued. But even if I think that Discovery has better educational programming than PBS, I don't want you forced to pay for it against your will.

(As for state controlled official news/media sources, thankfully there is a trend for the state governments to get out of this too).

Again, all power to T-Mobile for funding this themselves. You won't get people taken to court or threatened with jail time for refusing to pay for it! And in the halls of Congress and other places. efforts by T-Mobile will bolster the case at getting rid of all taxpayer funding for it.

I wonder if this means that we will see magenta among the many commercials already seen on PBS?
    --------------------
    I will leave you with this list of top educational children's programs

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lis...shows-for-kids

to counter the claim "Private broadcasters aren't interested in educating". Disney, Nickelodeon, Hulu, Amazon, CW and other private ones are all there.

Feedback Score
    They call it "public broadcasting" because that euphemism sounds better to Americans than the more accurate "government-controlled media".

To each their own, and the educational content of channels controlled by the people... where it is entirely voluntary choice of individuals whether to pay for it in any way (TLC, Discovery, HBO, C-SPAN, History, etc) as compared to those controlled by the government can be argued. But even if I think that Discovery has better educational programming than PBS, I don't want you forced to pay for it against your will.

(As for state controlled official news/media sources, thankfully there is a trend for the state governments to get out of this too).

Again, all power to T-Mobile for funding this themselves. You won't get people taken to court or threatened with jail time for refusing to pay for it! And in the halls of Congress and other places. efforts by T-Mobile will bolster the case at getting rid of all taxpayer funding for it.

I wonder if this means that we will see magenta among the many commercials already seen on PBS?
    --------------------
    I will leave you with this list of top educational children's programs

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/lis...shows-for-kids

to counter the claim "Private broadcasters aren't interested in educating". Disney, Nickelodeon, Hulu, Amazon, CW and other private ones are all there.
    Disney and nickoledeon pretend to make educational shows with the premise to create merchandise to sell to kids. Comparing pbs to state run propaganda stations like the ones in North Korea is ludicrous.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1102 View Post
    Disney and nickoledeon pretend to make educational shows with the premise to create merchandise to sell to kids. Comparing pbs to state run propaganda stations like the ones in North Korea is ludicrous.
    "Sesame Street" and similar PBS programs have created merchandise to sell to kids in a massive way over the decades. PBS and the others no more or less "pretend" to make educational programs than each other, really. The wealth generated by those who used Sesame Street to sell products and get rich off it (at taxpayer expense) even before HBO took over "Sesame Street" is truly massive, and those who worked on the show were welfare queens: raking in millions subsidized by money stolen from taxpayers.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/big-bi...article/654415

The difference perhaps is the those who get rich off PBS educational programming have an easier time fooling people than those who get rich off Nickelodeon educational programming.... even though they are all the same, with the main difference being that with PBS, people are robbed to pay for it.

As for PBS vs NK media, one can easily compare one official government media organ to another, even if we can't equate them: the difference is a matter of degree, and with both you have those who rule using the power of government to approve and promote their viewpoint. And the term "propaganda" has become a meaningless value judgement: information/facts someone doesn't like is called "propaganda". Regardless, it is dangerous to waste money on official government-approved news and media organs.

The press and media belong to the people, not the rulers.

I support your right to choose to give money to PBS. However, this choice must belong to each individual, and not be forced on us.

Feedback Score
    "Sesame Street" and similar PBS programs have created merchandise to sell to kids in a massive way over the decades. PBS and the others no more or less "pretend" to make educational programs than each other, really. The wealth generated by those who used Sesame Street to sell products and get rich off it (at taxpayer expense) even before HBO took over "Sesame Street" is truly massive, and those who worked on the show were welfare queens: raking in millions subsidized by money stolen from taxpayers.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/big-bi...article/654415

The difference perhaps is the those who get rich off PBS educational programming have an easier time fooling people than those who get rich off Nickelodeon educational programming.... even though they are all the same, with the main difference being that with PBS, people are robbed to pay for it.

As for PBS vs NK media, one can easily compare one official government media organ to another, even if we can't equate them: the difference is a matter of degree, and with both you have those who rule using the power of government to approve and promote their viewpoint. And the term "propaganda" has become a meaningless value judgement: information/facts someone doesn't like is called "propaganda". Regardless, it is dangerous to waste money on official government-approved news and media organs.

The press and media belong to the people, not the rulers.

I support your right to choose to give money to PBS. However, this choice must belong to each individual, and not be forced on us.
    No, the meaning if propaganda hasn't changed at all, unless you are trying to change it to push your agenda. See look it's right here.

As far as the other stuff, feel how you want. If you feel the massive media machines behind Nick and Disney are educational, well by all means. I will say this, the people usually who are loudest about where their tax dollars go to, usually don't pay anything in taxes. Sure taxes may come out of their checks but at the end of the year they get it all back and with credits the sometimes even get more. So, why is it that the people who pay next to nothing in taxes are the loudest when it comes to what that money should go for?

Feedback Score
    No, the meaning if propaganda hasn't changed at all, unless you are trying to change it to push your agenda. See look it's right here.

As far as the other stuff, feel how you want. If you feel the massive media machines behind Nick and Disney are educational, well by all means. I will say this, the people usually who are loudest about where their tax dollars go to, usually don't pay anything in taxes. Sure taxes may come out of their checks but at the end of the year they get it all back and with credits the sometimes even get more. So, why is it that the people who pay next to nothing in taxes are the loudest when it comes to what that money should go for?
    Exactly: whether or not it is "propaganda" depends on whether or not you agree with the misleading being done, or the causes being promoted.

If you feel the massive media machines behind the government propaganda (your definition) organs PBS and NPR, with their welfare queens making millions off money stolen from taxpayers, are educational, well by all means.

Your justification for wasting tax money didn't convince me, sorry. I doubt you can find any sort of article to back up your claim concerning the "volume" of those who complain about being overtaxed vs how much they pay in taxes. I for one judge the arguments against wasting tax dollars on the arguments' validity, rather than the total tax dollars paid by those making the arguments.

Back on topic, kudos again to T-Mobile for doing this.

Feedback Score
    Your justification for wasting tax money didn't convince me, sorry. Back on topic, kudos again to T-Mobile for doing this.
    I'm not trying to convince you nor do I have any need, want, nor worry if it did or not. Just pointing out serious flaws in your logic, but, there is always one in every bunch. Yes. Kudos to T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    I'm not trying to convince you nor do I have any need, want, nor worry if it did or not. Just pointing out serious flaws in your logic, but, there is always one in every bunch. Yes. Kudos to T-Mobile.
    I doubt we will agree with each other's "propaganda".

So let's agree to agree on T-Mobile's specific actions

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+, Google Nexus 6
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    NotABiot, Propaganda isn't wether or not you agree if its misleading or not. Propaganda occurs regardless of anyone's personal views.

Sent from my LG-H872 using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast