Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kittywireless, PagePlus, PuppyWireless, CDMA, GSM

Feedback Score

Kittywireless, PagePlus, PuppyWireless, CDMA, GSM

Long story short, I had bought PagePlus via Kitty Wireless, $80/year, because Verizon is strong in this rural Georgia area and Sprint was not.

I have an HTC Inc2 and live about a mile from the tower but there's an intervening hill. I have an external yagi pointed 90° at another hill and that routed to a WANSONTONE 850MHz CDMA repeater Booster amplifier mounted on the wall in my living room. I"m not sure that's working right although it has 4 bars I still sometimes get fade on my Inc2 which only shows 2 bars.

When I would buy the $80 pin PagePlus would carry over the remainder and there's about $180 on there now and I need to buy another this month or do something else.

The battery had gone bad twice and is bad again in the Inc2. New battery will be here in a week. But I'm really not happy with the Inc2 as I can't root without downgrading, it's a Verizon branded phone.

I bought a DooGee DG300 years ago and found it isn't CDMA and couldn't use it.

I see KittyWireless is kaput and will probably go with PuppyWireless.

If I do, I can get another $80 pin for the Inc2 and carry over the time. But I can't tether a laptop nor tablet to the Inc2 because best it can do is 50k on Verizon. And I use the phone very little.

I was thinking of buying a $10 card for the DooGee DG300 in Walmart to test. Or would I be buying a sim? I understand 3G and 4G can't use the CDMA band and that amplifier is useless for GSM. I have another amplifier/repeater but it's a GSM950 and I don't think that band is used here, is it? (Frequency Range:Up Link: 890MHz--915MHz;Down Link: 935MHz--960MHz). Who knows, maybe I won't need to bounce off a hill with another arrangement. Might need another yagi for a GSM frequency or homebrew one from an old TV antenna.

So, carrying over the $180 doesn't hurt but is it worth it? How much time do I spend on hold anyway.

Can I use the DooGee DG300? I want to test. Which sim can I buy among those in Walmart with the best bet of working well out here?

Can any of the networks out here connect with a GSM950?

I have 2 weeks to test and decide how I want to go with this.

Thanks for advice on these things.

soyrunner

Feedback Score
    If you have an $80 or $180 credit on pageplus, then stay with pageplus for sure. You can just buy a $10 refill every 115 days to keep your balance at page plus alive. You don't need kittywireless for a $10 or $80 refill on pageplus. Just go to megasaverprepay.com to buy your refills at a slight discount. For a new phone, you will need to stay with a 3g phone, because that is all that they allow on their paygo cash balance plans. My son has a 1st gen tracfone/straighttalk/moto E that works just fine on this plan. It also has excellent reception in weak signal areas. They can be found on ebay for cheap, even brand new. I got his for $20.

Feedback Score
    You can try their chat too. Sometimes it is much faster than calling.

Feedback Score
    If you aim to root/tether, then an LG Ultimate 2 would be much easier or even possible to root. I'm not sure that anything more than an occasional short hotspot session would be feasible at paygo data rates, however.

Feedback Score
    Also, Puppy Wireless would mean porting over to them, another MVNO, and not continuing with your current $ balance on pageplus. I wholeheartedly recommend you stay where your balance is on Page plus and just get another phone. If you get an LG Ultimate 2 (3g Verizon-based handset), message me and I can send you a few extra batteries from handsets that our kids broke from dropping. Needless to say they don't do well when dropped.

Device(s)
    Moto X PE, Moto G4P, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/Verizon, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    I agree. You're best bet is to stay with Page Plus and get another 3G phone. You can set up autopay on Callingmart.com to add a $10 PIN every 120 days. $30 per year and you won't have to worry about remembering to add the PIN and you may be able to use up your $180 balance.

Feedback Score
    I agree with bmwtechguy every 115 days. P+ is ruthless if you're a minute late.
    As a US citizen I have the right to criticize my government. My thanks for this is endless in magnitude.

Fascism is here led by a hypersensitive psychopathic dictator having complete power, obsessively suppressing criticism, regimenting industry & commerce. Emboldening racism & aggressive nationalism.

Red Pocket (AT&T) $255yr UTnT 3GB
    AirVoice (AT&T) $20mo UTnT 50MB
    T-Mo Gold Rewards $10yr exp ext
    Tello (Sprint) $5 1+call/3mo=no exp x2

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Don't waste your dough. Stay with PPC and go with the smaller refills (PINs). I don't know why 115 days is being referenced, but out of the advertised 120 days you can go with 119. I always just look at what the website says is the expiration date and refill the day before - never a problem. Obviously phone selection is severely limited, but the 2014 1st gen Moto E (CDMA only), the 2013 1st gen Moto G (VZW prepaid specially prepared for PPC -available on eBay), LG Ultimate 2 L41C, and LG Power L22C are about all there is (with a couple of exceptions). The LGs as well as the Moto E are generally around as various TracFone-division-branded devices.

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Obviously phone selection is severely limited, but the 2014 1st gen Moto E (CDMA only), the 2013 1st gen Moto G (VZW prepaid specially prepared for PPC -available on eBay), LG Ultimate 2 L41C, and LG Power L22C are about all there is (with a couple of exceptions). The LGs as well as the Moto E are generally around as various TracFone-division-branded devices.
    The LG Optimus Fuel and the Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon should also activate on 3G PPC.

I see where PPC actually sells some of these phones:
    ZTE Quartz
    Alcatel One Touch Pop Icon
    Huawei Glory
    LG Ultimate 2
    Huawei Ascend Plus

TF, ST and N10 variants should all work.

Device(s)
    Moto E (T-Mo); Moto G (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, thanks for bringing that up. The PPC website does carry those, and sometimes there are refurbs and sales as well. Another caveat regarding these 3G phones is that their Android version is older. Depending on model maybe nothing newer than KitKat or in some cases JellyBean (ZTE Quartz).

Device(s)
    Nexus 5X - Moto X PE(2), LG X Charge, LG G Pad, Nokia 6102b
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Xfinity Mobile, Freedom Pop, Lycamobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Yes, thanks for bringing that up. The PPC website does carry those, and sometimes there are refurbs and sales as well. Another caveat regarding these 3G phones is that their Android version is older. Depending on model maybe nothing newer than KitKat or in some cases JellyBean (ZTE Quartz).
    Like you point out, pickings are Slim! Not to mention any development is, for the most part, non existent.

How much longer can the 3G only plans be offered?

Feedback Score
    You've all convinced me. I'll do the $10/120 day refill online. Perhaps with the new battery the Inc2 will show more than 2 bars when the repeater has full bars.

I'd like to try the DG300. So, I found yesterday that Walmart doesn't sell SIMs except as an $80 starter kit on some other network. I see PagePlus sells SIMs for 99˘. The DG300 is a dual SIM device, one a Micro and the other a Nano. PagePlus sells both but the SIMs are for 4G LTE.

I see PagePlus activates a ported phone for free. How about a phone that's never been up?

I've never concerned myself with 1,2,3,4G until recently when I tried to tether a laptop. I had been wrongly assuming the LTE was a truncated spelling of lite and was perhaps slower than 3G and 4G. I see now it's the fastest and there's some voice carried on LTE as well.

But I almost never use the laptop tethered. My idea is to find if the DG300 gets better reception here in this faraday cage of a home even without a repeater. If it does, then since one can't move time to another device, I'd just let the $180 or what's left of it expire in 120 days.

soyrunner

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soyrunner View Post
    Perhaps with the new battery the Inc2 will show more than 2 bars when the repeater has full bars.
    A battery is unlikely to affect signal. For example, I'd generally expect my phones to usually display a similar signal regardless if they're charging or on battery.

I'd like to try the DG300.
    According to willmyphonework.com the DooGee DG300 is only compatible with the 850MHz part of AT&T 3G or T-Mobile 2G. I suppose out of those two choices maybe T-Mobile service might make more sense, because personally I wouldn't want to use a phone that doesn't fully support the network (AT&T). Usually 2G T-Mobile was not known for great indoor service, but I have previously used 2G T-Mobile indoors as my only phone.

Tracfone BYOP does allow you to bring your own phone and use it with T-Mobile service. You would either need to find the Tracfone three network sim pack (I don't know if Walmart sells the 2 network sim packs) or order a sim off the Tracfone website to try their T-Mobile service. Generally Tracfone can be somewhat expensive for voice in small quantities, so the prepaid options direct from T-Mobile might be cheaper, but I'm no longer familiar with the current T-Mobile options.

I see PagePlus sells SIMs for 99˘. The DG300 is a dual SIM device, one a Micro and the other a Nano. PagePlus sells both but the SIMs are for 4G LTE.
    Page Plus is not compatible with that phone.

I see now it's the fastest and there's some voice carried on LTE as well.
    There isn't much that I can think of that's likely in the ballpark for an $80 plan Page Plus customer. Generally most prepaid users are not on VoLTE at this time. There are some T-Mobile MVNOs with voice over LTE (VoLTE). Boom Mobile is the only Verizon MVNO advertising VoLTE. I don't think AT&T has offered VoLTE to their MVNOs, but Cricket has it on certain plans. VoLTE is rather cutting-edge for prepaid, and all the options would mean a different phone and more expensive service plans.

But I almost never use the laptop tethered. My idea is to find if the DG300 gets better reception here in this faraday cage of a home even without a repeater.
    My AT&T phone typically needs an LTE signal to get usable cellular data where I live, while my previous Verizon phone worked fine on 3G. I'm not familiar with T-Mobile, but I don't think you should plan on tethered data with 2G T-Mobile service. My main point here is that if you're thinking of tethering the DG300 it might be a step down from the Incredible 2.
    Last edited by alluringreality; 07-05-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Feedback Score
    Okay, thanks alluringreality. Looks like the DG300 is going back on the shelf. I will be doing the $10/120 days pin on PPC. Just not sure which MVNO I'll buy from.

soyrunner.

Thanks all for helping clear this up.

Feedback Score
    Soyrunner, if you need a 3g phone for use on Page Plus, then message me and I can send you a good Moto E (Model XT 830C). I have an extra one. As far as testing out the DG, I would consider a prefunded H2O wireless sim card from ebay for about $14. Their service is on att network. To try out T-mobile, you could get a prefunded gosmart sim for about $17 on ebay. I'm sure there are other T-mobile based prefunded sims for even less. These prefunded sims typically assign you a new phone number based on your zip code, and include unlimited talk and text for one month, along with 2-4 Gb data to try out their service for 30 days.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast