Thread: Nokia 6 on AT&T

Los Angeles - San Diego - Tijuana / D.F. - Puebla
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus / Apple iPhone 7 / Samsung Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Pacific Bell Wireless / Verizon Wireless / iusacell MX / Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by buckspaul View Post
    why not if you live in rural or suburban area those areas will never have 29/30 support christ all my local towers only have band 12/17. Now if you live in urban area those bands would certainly make difference for speed and a valid factor for consideration. Basically its about location location. Personally i have yet to see 29/30 in Manhattan or Center City Philadelphia where is it deployed currently?
    I use to think the same way about B30 in rural areas but I was proven wrong when I visited my mom who lives in a "town", again more farmland than homes.

For some reason, I never had issues with speed when AT&T would normally the network just slow down, and was suspicious that the antennas on a newly installed tower looked familiar (never mind the bright orange sign AT&T likes to use to mark their property). I found out much much later by perusing the my field test mode and found out AT&T had deployed B30... no wonder why AT&T was smooth compared to years past...

For some reason, AT&T has three cell sites for an area with more farmland than homes and this one happened to have B30 on it. I went from B2/B5 LTE on two cell sites to a third with B2/B5/B30 on it...and probably B29

And by no means, am I referring a place like Los Angeles.
    Even the "city" of 40,000 has the much needed B30...as the existing B2/B5 LTE network wasn't cutting it.
    Glad my S8 has the B30...

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keason View Post
    Why buy a phone without band 29/30 support? Looks like the Nokia 6 is designed for Tmobile.
    I can give you a few reasons. Number one, support for bands 29 and 30 isn't as important as a phones ability to use Carrier Aggregation. Band 30 on it's own can fall flat on it's face, but when pairing more than one band together for aggregate links, that's where the load balancing and speeds come from. I'd be more concerned if the phone didn't support CA than if it doesn't have AT&T-specific bands. As long as it's got 2, 4, 5, and 12/17, that covers most areas to where there'd at least be some CA (like here in FL, I'm seeing 2xCA with band 2 being PCC, and bands 5 and 12 being SCC).

Secondly, AT&T still sells phones that don't include all of their bands, like some of their cheapo LG/Samsung Android handsets. Granted, they're cheap, but if ATT doesn't feel it's necessary to include all of their bands on handsets they sell, that should tell you it's not completely necessary.

Thirdly, kind of relates to the above point, but we're dealing with a $230 phone, not $600 or more (looking at the Galaxy line and iPhones). I think given the cost, lack of non-necessary bands isn't a deal breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    iPhone SE, Cricket LG Risio 2(x2)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    I can give you a few reasons. Number one, support for bands 29 and 30 isn't as important as a phones ability to use Carrier Aggregation. Band 30 on it's own can fall flat on it's face, but when pairing more than one band together for aggregate links, that's where the load balancing and speeds come from. I'd be more concerned if the phone didn't support CA than if it doesn't have AT&T-specific bands. As long as it's got 2, 4, 5, and 12/17, that covers most areas to where there'd at least be some CA (like here in FL, I'm seeing 2xCA with band 2 being PCC, and bands 5 and 12 being SCC).

Secondly, AT&T still sells phones that don't include all of their bands, like some of their cheapo LG/Samsung Android handsets. Granted, they're cheap, but if ATT doesn't feel it's necessary to include all of their bands on handsets they sell, that should tell you it's not completely necessary.

Thirdly, kind of relates to the above point, but we're dealing with a $230 phone, not $600 or more (looking at the Galaxy line and iPhones). I think given the cost, lack of non-necessary bands isn't a deal breaker.
    Well if you see my post on the Gophone forums, AT&T just launched the ZTE Blade Spark for Prepaid which now includes 29/30. So Prepaid phones are starting to see it now.
    Home Entertainment: Comcast Blast Pro 200mbps internet(Xfinity XB3 Arris TG1682G 24x8 Docsis 3.0 modem, IPv6 enabled), Xfinity Digital Preferred TV(Tivo Bolt(Main DVR)/Tivo Mini(Bedroom), Xfinity Voice EMTA XB3 with Voice Unlimited.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    Well if you see my post on the Gophone forums, AT&T just launched the ZTE Blade Spark for Prepaid which now includes 29/30. So Prepaid phones are starting to see it now.
    User manual says otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Gold 128 GB iPhone 7+ Intel, whatever the cat dragged in
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    why not if you live in rural or suburban area those areas will never have 29/30 support christ all my local towers only have band 12/17. Now if you live in urban area those bands would certainly make difference for speed and a valid factor for consideration. Basically its about location location. Personally i have yet to see 29/30 in Manhattan or Center City Philadelphia where is it deployed currently?
    Band 30 is all over Minnesota. I've seen Band 29 on a site or too as well (In Duluth) I wouldn't say rural/suburban sites will never see those bands given I already see rural sites with them (In Minnesota of all places)

Galaxy S7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 30 10 MHz PCC + Band 4 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 10 MHz SCC2
    iPhone 7 - Carrier Aggregation Band 4 10 MHz PCC + Band 2 10 MHz SCC1 + Band 12 5 MHz SCC2

-

Intel iPhone 7 Plus- AT&T Unlimited Plus

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    Yeahhhhhhh, Tim-of-NC and I checked the manual and it only lists 2, 4, 5, and 12. Still, those are all of the important bands I've mentioned. Unless a software update has enabled those other bands (doubtful), then it confirms my opinion. But still, there are some prepaid/postpaid offerings that do and don't have every single AT&T band. Think of bands 14, 29, 30, and 66 all being "premium" bands, reserved for "premium" phones.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    Band 30 is all over Minnesota. I've seen Band 29 on a site or too as well (In Duluth) I wouldn't say rural/suburban sites will never see those bands given I already see rural sites with them (In Minnesota of all places)
    Haven't seen band 29 myself yet, but I'll agree that band 30 is in a lot of places. In SWVA, I only even connected to one tower that had band 30, and while it wasn't connected via CA, I was impressed at the SQ and range, especially being "in the hills".

I don't think the argument is that it's not being deployed everywhere, but it's importance compared to leveraging capacity on available bands. There are some areas that only have 2 carriers for LTE, band X and band 30, and if there were a lot of people on those towers, then yeah, I could see the network falling flat on it's face if a good portion couldn't connect to both bands. But I honestly think in areas where congestion could occur, there will be more than band 30 available, and CA would be more important.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Yeahhhhhhh, Tim-of-NC and I checked the manual and it only lists 2, 4, 5, and 12. Still, those are all of the important bands I've mentioned. Unless a software update has enabled those other bands (doubtful), then it confirms my opinion. But still, there are some prepaid/postpaid offerings that do and don't have every single AT&T band. Think of bands 14, 29, 30, and 66 all being "premium" bands, reserved for "premium" phones.

Haven't seen band 29 myself yet, but I'll agree that band 30 is in a lot of places. In SWVA, I only even connected to one tower that had band 30, and while it wasn't connected via CA, I was impressed at the SQ and range, especially being "in the hills".

I don't think the argument is that it's not being deployed everywhere, but it's importance compared to leveraging capacity on available bands. There are some areas that only have 2 carriers for LTE, band X and band 30, and if there were a lot of people on those towers, then yeah, I could see the network falling flat on it's face if a good portion couldn't connect to both bands. But I honestly think in areas where congestion could occur, there will be more than band 30 available, and CA would be more important.
    what area areas of sw va have they deployed that? How would you like to live in an area where they have only one band deployed 12/17? What's very strange im in the philadelphia market. They have even missed 2 towers that needed to be upgraded to LTE and have only hsdpa on them nothing else and its been a years now of no upgrades.. and there's not overlap with other LTE sites we aren't talking rural montana this a rural section bucks county, pennsylvania................................also notice the sites in rural hunterdon county, nj ( ny market) have bands 12/17 and 2 on them all of them for some reason... also why would att even bother to add band 30 in rural areas its at 2300 mhz how far can it go? 1000 meters at most? btw my nokia 6 arrives tomorrow.......
    Last edited by buckspaul; 07-09-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Keep us posted on how you like it buckspaul. I'm very interested in this phone for T-Mobile.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Carrier(s)
    prepaid baby
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Keep us posted on how you like it buckspaul. I'm very interested in this phone for T-Mobile.
    Hi, LOL love the voicestream logo i had them years ago.. i will i have a project fi sim ill pop in the 6 to test it on tmobile in my area.. which stil has some holes even with the 700 upgrades...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    what area areas of sw va have they deployed that? How would you like to live in an area where they have only one band deployed 12/17? What's very strange im in the philadelphia market. They have even missed 2 towers that needed to be upgraded to LTE and have only hsdpa on them nothing else and its been a years now of no upgrades.. and there's not overlap with other LTE sites we aren't talking rural montana this a rural section bucks county, pennsylvania................................also notice the sites in rural hunterdon county, nj ( ny market) have bands 12/17 and 2 on them all of them for some reason... also why would att even bother to add band 30 in rural areas its at 2300 mhz how far can it go? 1000 meters at most? btw my nokia 6 arrives tomorrow.......
    Funny you mention that. I was in Bristol, VA (basically right near the TN/VA line) and they only had band 30 on the tower at exit 5 off of I-81. Other than that, band 12/17 was the only LTE carrier on ALL of the other towers, so I know what you're talking about. Not only that, but I frequented Lebanon, VA, where there were H+ only towers that ran off of bonded T1s. AT&T finally added band 5 LTE to one of the towers along route 19, but cell service dropped out for about 2 miles on the route, and the next tower had H+ on the SW-face and LTE on the north side.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also, you'd be surprised how far band 30 goes. I believe there are different power regulations for band 30, so AT&T can blast it pretty far. 700mhz is limited.

Last edited by balleron24z; 07-09-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Also, you'd be surprised how far band 30 goes. I believe there are different power regulations for band 30, so AT&T can blast it pretty far. 700mhz is limited.

AT&T has power limitations on 30 due to Sirius XM issues with interference. You've got that backwards.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeuten View Post
    AT&T has power limitations on 30 due to Sirius XM issues with interference. You've got that backwards.
    Interesting, I thought AT&T received a waiver from the FCC for that? Either way, somehow band 30 usually has decent range.

Device(s)
    Nexus5/Nexus6
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    No way would I buy a phone without band 30 and band 5 LTE support. The B5 LTE refarm is in high gear at this point. So many areas getting it. Then if you go to an area with little spectrum on B12, 2, and 4 they will lean heavily on B5 and B30.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Interesting, I thought AT&T received a waiver from the FCC for that? Either way, somehow band 30 usually has decent range.

Nope, if anything the FCC is extra hard on them, sticking up for Sirius, "the little guy". And B30 has decent range compared to B41 because AT&T's network isn't run by contractors. Everyone decent from Sprint left after NV1.0 failed.

Quote Originally Posted by digiblur View Post
    No way would I buy a phone without band 30 and band 5 LTE support. The B5 LTE refarm is in high gear at this point. So many areas getting it. Then if you go to an area with little spectrum on B12, 2, and 4 they will lean heavily on B5 and B30.
    Agreed, I didn't think I'd see B5 for years but I've seen it on a site in my market.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast