Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AT&T coverage extremely degraded!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, LG G Stylo 3 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score

AT&T coverage extremely degraded!

Gonna start before 2013 when we got LTE. AT&T coverage at my house sucked 1-2 bars of either edge or 3G. So I got a Microcell

2013 rolled around we got LTE came along and when VoLTE came service at my house upstairs and downstairs was almost perfect! 3-4 bars all the time no dropped calls 25mbps LTE speeds etc.

Then around mid last year I moved my parents to H2O (AT&T) due to coverage been good for awhile now at home.

Well sometime in late Nov 2016, coverage went to crap! Now LTE coverage MATCHES my 3G coverage which is awful! 1-2 bars with a lot of No service downstairs. Dropped calls , data speeds over LTE are 5mbps if lucky (data speeds only really matter for when my cable connection goes out) Have wifi calling for my two iPhones, but thankfully I have the microcell for my parents phones.

Okay so I finally got around to contacting AT&T several months ago I've had to call them about 10 times. Finally got a case open where they actually responded back to via SMS. Which stated "Coverage is limited at the location I reported".

Okay? What explains why it used to work before ? Lol

Any suggestions? I haven't called them back yet haven't had the time to deal with it.

And another bit of info. The tower closest to my house is about 2 miles away, okay why is it that in some spots my phone will connect to a tower that's more obstructed 7 miles in a different state (confirmed by dialling a number without area code)

And the tower closest to me I can actually go down the road, park at a place where I can see the tower off in the distance! No obstructions and have 1-2 bars of signal..

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Phone: AT&T iPhone 7 128GB Gold
    867-5309 Line: LG G Stylo 3 Plus

I am no longer a U.S.Cellular User.
    Speedtest in Knox.TN EvDo Rev.A

My Photography www.hunterspad.com

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    I wonder if they repositioned some panels or switched up some frequcies.

Have you tried submitting through mark the spot!?
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    I wonder if they repositioned some panels or switched up some frequcies.

Have you tried submitting through mark the spot!?
    Yeah I submitted almost every day since January.

I do know my MetroPCS ZMax Pro shows Band 17 with my AT&T sim.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I have almost this exact same issue! When AT&T launched LTE I was getting -94 to -103 dbm in my house. I'm now getting a range of -104 to -115 dbm. 3G was always weaker but useable now in parts of the house where I use to get decent signal the best I can get is about -109 dbm on 3g with signal being about -113 normally. What's bad is I don't even live a mile from the cell site. I switched to postpaid just so I could make calls using volte.

I also have a weird issue where at times during the day and mainly at night the SNR goes to crap (see the picture below) and I live in a rural area so I'm ruling out congestion especially at 2 AM. The SNR will be so bad sometimes it drops the connection to hspa+.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Maybe there’s a high frequency LTE connection around and the phone is clinging onto it? Phones will keep the 700 MHz connection at low priority and make sure anything else (band 2 or 4) available is preferred.

Verizon iPhone 7+ 128 GB Jet Black & Verizon iPad Pro 9.7 32 GB Space Gray
    iPhone 7+ on the Verizon Network
    iPad Pro 9.7 on the AT&T Network

Feedback Score
    I know att as trying to renegotiate deals with towers. Maybe it didn’t go well in your area and relocated somewhere else?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernamesRHard View Post
    I know att as trying to renegotiate deals with towers. Maybe it didn’t go well in your area and relocated somewhere else?
    It definitely has an AT&T antenna on it. Right up on it full signal.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S6 Active
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Gonna start before 2013 when we got LTE. AT&T coverage at my house sucked 1-2 bars of either edge or 3G. So I got a Microcell

2013 rolled around we got LTE came along and when VoLTE came service at my house upstairs and downstairs was almost perfect! 3-4 bars all the time no dropped calls 25mbps LTE speeds etc.

Then around mid last year I moved my parents to H2O (AT&T) due to coverage been good for awhile now at home.

Well sometime in late Nov 2016, coverage went to crap! Now LTE coverage MATCHES my 3G coverage which is awful! 1-2 bars with a lot of No service downstairs. Dropped calls , data speeds over LTE are 5mbps if lucky (data speeds only really matter for when my cable connection goes out) Have wifi calling for my two iPhones, but thankfully I have the microcell for my parents phones.

Okay so I finally got around to contacting AT&T several months ago I've had to call them about 10 times. Finally got a case open where they actually responded back to via SMS. Which stated "Coverage is limited at the location I reported".

Okay? What explains why it used to work before ? Lol

Any suggestions? I haven't called them back yet haven't had the time to deal with it.

And another bit of info. The tower closest to my house is about 2 miles away, okay why is it that in some spots my phone will connect to a tower that's more obstructed 7 miles in a different state (confirmed by dialling a number without area code)

And the tower closest to me I can actually go down the road, park at a place where I can see the tower off in the distance! No obstructions and have 1-2 bars of signal..

Thanks.

Is it possible there was a closer cell site that they may of had to decommission?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

AT&T coverage extremely degraded!

Is there any chance you're now camping on B30? Are you losing LTE since the change?

Your issue sounds identical to the issue I have with them, I had fine signal up until mid year last year. I used to camp out on B12 and didn't drop LTE too often. Then it went downhill and started dropping LTE constantly. I've been down every avenue to get them to fix the issue and bottom line is any attempt is futile, don't even bother. Your time would be much better spent finding a new carrier that works.

I have since moved on from them, I tried them for a month last month with their iPad UDP and now not only is the signal really flaky but congestion has really set in now that UDP is really back.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GusHerb94 View Post
    Is there any chance you're now camping on B30? Are you losing LTE since the change?

Your issue sounds identical to the issue I have with them, I had fine signal up until mid year last year. I used to camp out on B12 and didn't drop LTE too often. Then it went downhill and started dropping LTE constantly. I've been down every avenue to get them to fix the issue and bottom line is any attempt is futile, don't even bother. Your time would be much better spent finding a new carrier that works.
    LTE sticks never hard ever drops to HSPA. But it does either not work or drops to no service completely. My ZMax Pro with my AT&T sim shows it's on B17 but not sure if it supports B30 though.

Jensen Beach, FL (Previously Bristol, VA)
    Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    Well, there are many factors that could be playing into this. Getting a case in is the right thing to do, as a degradation of coverage is something that should be fixed.

1) AT&T uses SON (self-organizing network), which as I understand it, allows the network to configure itself for what it thinks is optimal performance and stability. I don't know all of the ins/outs, but what I do know is that SON also allows the network to determine what towers and what bands a phone should connect to. As a result, if the network thinks you're geographically located somewhere you're not, it can try to place you on a tower that's not as close. Sometimes this work better (as a tower that's LOS to you at 7 miles works better than a tower that's non-LOS at 2 will more than likely transmit a cleaner signal) and sometimes it doesn't.

2) Equipment ages, and while I don't think your issue stems from it, the possibility that some radio equipment at your nearest cell site has malfunctioned or is worn out is possible. Verizon has this issue as well, and I ended up leaving them because in my area, their network degraded super heavily.

3) We're dealing with radio frequencies, and complex transmission technologies here. While LTE, like other tech, has pretty good error correction, sometimes interference still causes issues with signal. If you've ever tried to use your own WiFi in a place where 10-15 other networks are broadcasting, all at full power, you'll have experienced signal interference and an unusable network. LTE can run into this issue due to many things, like other carriers broadcasting on the same tower with the same frequencies (believe it or not, band 12/13/14/17 all being in the 700mhz range doesn't leave much room for clean signal, they can co-interfere) or other devices like routers, TVs, etc can all emit some level of interference that can dirty up your cellular signal for your phone(s). Granted, this is less common, and I'd assume not too much has changed with your situation that could've affected signal quality, so this is obviously more on AT&T's side.

There are probably other potential causes, but keep an open mind to this, and stay level-headed with AT&T. I'd only get ill with them if they start trying to put the blame on you/your devices and not their equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also, if you've confirmed you're camping out on band 12/17, that's the lowest frequency band AT&T's got deployed right now, and while I think your situation is most likely occurring on that frequency, try to watch more closely and see if the phone is trying to flip to band 2 or 4, and as a result, completely dropping signal.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, Red Pocket-A
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by balleron24z View Post
    Well, there are many factors that could be playing into this. Getting a case in is the right thing to do, as a degradation of coverage is something that should be fixed.

1) AT&T uses SON (self-organizing network), which as I understand it, allows the network to configure itself for what it thinks is optimal performance and stability. I don't know all of the ins/outs, but what I do know is that SON also allows the network to determine what towers and what bands a phone should connect to. As a result, if the network thinks you're geographically located somewhere you're not, it can try to place you on a tower that's not as close. Sometimes this work better (as a tower that's LOS to you at 7 miles works better than a tower that's non-LOS at 2 will more than likely transmit a cleaner signal) and sometimes it doesn't.

2) Equipment ages, and while I don't think your issue stems from it, the possibility that some radio equipment at your nearest cell site has malfunctioned or is worn out is possible. Verizon has this issue as well, and I ended up leaving them because in my area, their network degraded super heavily.

3) We're dealing with radio frequencies, and complex transmission technologies here. While LTE, like other tech, has pretty good error correction, sometimes interference still causes issues with signal. If you've ever tried to use your own WiFi in a place where 10-15 other networks are broadcasting, all at full power, you'll have experienced signal interference and an unusable network. LTE can run into this issue due to many things, like other carriers broadcasting on the same tower with the same frequencies (believe it or not, band 12/13/14/17 all being in the 700mhz range doesn't leave much room for clean signal, they can co-interfere) or other devices like routers, TVs, etc can all emit some level of interference that can dirty up your cellular signal for your phone(s). Granted, this is less common, and I'd assume not too much has changed with your situation that could've affected signal quality, so this is obviously more on AT&T's side.

There are probably other potential causes, but keep an open mind to this, and stay level-headed with AT&T. I'd only get ill with them if they start trying to put the blame on you/your devices and not their equipment.
    Only issue is I'm in a rural area, so wifi networks and interference should be minimum. The only wifi networks within my home are mine and 1 neighbour that's it! Range wise in my house. Along with my cable provider the highest freq my cable provider is only around 450MHz lol very old cable system as well. Only thing I've seen that high in the freq range is some commutation at 900MHz (SDR STICK). I have doubt that AT&T will ever fix it. When I've called they recommend wifi calling or microcell and both of which I have which is not helpful.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hyelton View Post
    Only issue is I'm in a rural area, so wifi networks and interference should be minimum. The only wifi networks within my home are mine and 1 neighbour that's it! Range wise in my house. Along with my cable provider the highest freq my cable provider is only around 450MHz lol very old cable system as well. Only thing I've seen that high in the freq range is some commutation at 900MHz (SDR STICK). I have doubt that AT&T will ever fix it. When I've called they recommend wifi calling or microcell and both of which I have which is not helpful.

Forest City, NC, or close to there, right? I've passed through Asheville numerous times, and thought AT&T covered it very well. Granted, I didn't venture off I-26 too far, so that could be why.

So, that's good then that radio interference wouldn't be the problem. I think in your case, LTE used to pick up very well and now doesn't, I'd first confirm that this is on band 12/17 and not on another band. It's possible that AT&T pointed their panels differently to fix a coverage issue somewhere else, and in turn, it's knocked you out of having service. If so, not much you can do, as you'd basically be fighting someone else on who wants cell coverage :P

Does WiFi calling not work well enough for you to use it? I was in a very rural area in SW Virginia (Chilhowie, VA) and stayed in a house on Whitetop Mountain where there's absolutely 0 cell coverage for any carrier. If I didn't have WiFi calling (or a microcell), I had 0 coverage, and I made it by with WFC (WiFi calling) just fine. Reliably, even, as I called/texted a lot.

You could look into a weBoost or Wilson amplifier that can be mounted externally on your home, and I'm sure that'd pull in the signal better.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I wish I knew what the deal is with AT&T at my home I may try calling them sometime this week. There are trees between me and the tower but when I'm not even a mile a way from it and can see it from the driveway in the winter time I feel I shouldn't have any issue.

The site that serves me is a oddity anyway. It broadcasts 10mhz in one direction and 5mhz in my direction (due to spectrum lisences). I have had handover problems lately, when driving from one side of the cell site to the other, even though I'm driving closer to it.

When edge was still live I couldn't get anything below -88 dbm in the house it was normal to see it in the 70s.

I understand LTE is measured differently but when I'm outside I should have a better signal than -102 to -106 dbm. When it was launched I had a great signal in and out, anytime of the year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using HoFo mobile app

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast