Thread: USA Domestic Voice Roaming, Conditional Call Forwarding, No Data hard cut-off

Feedback Score

USA Domestic Voice Roaming, Conditional Call Forwarding, No Data hard cut-off

Hello,

I was an early convert to Ting who was quite pleased with their offerings until I began to use more data, and thus Ting's pricing model has become less optimal for me.

Three things I value highly in cell phone service -- offered by all the big 4 major carriers, offered by few MVNO carriers, but indeed offered by Ting: USA Domestic Voice Roaming, Conditional Call Forwarding, and No Data Hard Cut-off.

Two years ago I switched from Ting/Sprint to Ting/T-Mobile, and I have been quite pleased with the network (including domestic USA voice roaming). From the coverage/roaming maps, I would have thought I would have had sufficient coverage with Sprint, but that was not so. Therefore, I have no interest in Sprint MVNOs. I have nothing against Verizon beyond their high prices for the mother carrier and generally higher prices for their MVNOs. With T-Mobile -- while I am quite happy with their coverage -- I do feel compelled to keep USA Domestic Voice Roaming. (Data roaming would be great, but that seems to be unavailable with MVNOs). With an AT&T MVNO, I would still "prefer" to have USA Domestic Voice Roaming, but I suppose it is not quite as necessary as with a T-Mobile MVNO.

I recently switched to MetroPCS which offers all of the above, but I do have to add the "Value Bundle" for $5/month/line to get the Conditional Call Forwarding necessary for Google Voice Voicemail. Suddenly "2 lines, 2GB/month/line for $50" becomes $60/month... not much less than I was paying on Ting for two lines.

I know with MetroPCS that my data speed will plummet (to 2G/128kbps?) if/when I hit my 2GB/month, but I do appreciate that I am not strictly cut off for the month.

Does anybody know of any MVNOs offering USA Domestic Voice Roaming, Conditional Call Forwarding, and No Data hard cut-off beyond Ting/T-Mobile and MetroPCS?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Carrier(s)
    Red Pocket Essential Plan
    Feedback Score
    I have never really understood the matter of conditional call forwarding using Google Voice. I have been using a Google Voice number exclusively for several years and in that time tried many, many MVNOs--that's the advantage of a GV number--and never had an issue with my voicemail. Once in a while I'll get a voicemail in my carrier's voicemail box for reasons I don't understand. This, although the caller dialed my GV number. In fact I don't even give out the carrier number, and I have to look at the phone to remember what it is.

If you are for the most part content with T-Mobile coverage, you might consider US Mobile. I'm pretty sure they don't offer domestic voice roaming because the reason I left them is due to a weekly drive I have to make to class through a rural area an hour away and I lose T-Mobile coverage for most of that trip. I doubt that it has a data hard cap because you purchase as much data as you want beforehand. Email or chat with Customer Service for an answer to that question. They have a "build your own plan" model which is convenient for people who know how much voice, text and data they want, and can combine the three into a tailor-made plan.

If domestic voice roaming is an absolute necessity, just disregard this suggestion. Otherwise you might want to consider them.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Consumer Cellular has all three.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the replies.

I would strongly consider using my GV phone number as my primary mobile phone number, but Google will not let me port my longtime mobile number into GV as my GV number. (Google does not serve "this area"... even though I got that number through Sprint years ago when Sprint started sharing phone numbers with GV). It seems it would open up a lot of options for me if I could circumvent my desire to maintain my longtime phone number and have the features/benefits of Google Voice Voicemail.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention that Consumer Cellular offers all of my desired features. Unfortunately, their pricing structure does not look competitive with MetroPCS and Ting for my current usages.

Device(s)
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Interesting. I almost signed up with Ting until I found CC was more cost effective for my needs (with 4 lines)

Device(s)
    Google Pixel
    Carrier(s)
    Consumer Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Check Consumer Cellular's website again. They're offering some very attractive plans as of Oct 1, 2017

Feedback Score
    If you have a business then teltik - which is pretty much the same as tmobile postpaid.