Thread: Shouldn't my phone have simultaneous voice/data?

Feedback Score

Shouldn't my phone have simultaneous voice/data?

Maybe I'm wrong, but does the Moto X pure have the capability of hanging onto a data connection while on a voice call? The reason I am curious is that the phone obviously uses 1xRTT or 1x800 to make a call on Sprint, but while doing so it does not drop the LTE signal, so any idea what paramater/setting might be preventing data from passing from the phone to the tower?

See example, this is from immediately after ending a call but it's basically the same as while on a call:
    Name:  sprint lte+1x800.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  37.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenatek View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but does the Moto X pure have the capability of hanging onto a data connection while on a voice call? The reason I am curious is that the phone obviously uses 1xRTT or 1x800 to make a call on Sprint, but while doing so it does not drop the LTE signal, so any idea what paramater/setting might be preventing data from passing from the phone to the tower?

See example, this is from immediately after ending a call but it's basically the same as while on a call:
    There is no talk and surf on Sprint. (Yet) it's being tested. It's coming tho

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    OK so it's on the tower end then. Thank you. That's great to know that it's coming

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    What no VOLTE? I was thinking of trying Sprint but that's a problem. I do a lot business calls that I'm using data while talking. Thanks for saving me from a WTF moment.
    Paul Thurrott:
    Not now mom, somebody's wrong on the Internet

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    What no VOLTE? I was thinking of trying Sprint but that's a problem. I do a lot business calls that I'm using data while talking. Thanks for saving me from a WTF moment.
    It's been known for the last 3 years they don't have it. Like I said volte it's coming.
    No wifi available?

Device(s)
    Pixel XL
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thotguy31 View Post
    It's been known for the last 3 years they don't have it. Like I said volte it's coming.

if you're a customer, but nowhere is it advertised , if I were Sprint I would hide that also. Spin it however you like.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sectime View Post
    if you're a customer, but nowhere is it advertised , if I were Sprint I would hide that also. Spin it however you like.
    It's hard to hide that since almost everyone knows.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    This is why a CDMA carrier will never do for me. Even with VOLTE, when the network is loaded down, it'll always drop back to 1x.

No thanks.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This is why a CDMA carrier will never do for me. Even with VOLTE, when the network is loaded down, it'll always drop back to 1x.

No thanks.
    Huh it doesn't have anything to do with being loaded down VOLTE uses very little bandwidth. It's only when you drop to 3G then your call drops since it doesn't fall back. Att this the only one with the benefit since they run hspa+ on B5 it can fall back to that. Even TMobile when you lose LTE will just fall back to 2G or no Signal or in big cities maybe H+.

Device(s)
    Galaxy S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Yep this is a case where things fail to deliver on the network side. Phone is fully capable.
    “The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Huh it doesn't have anything to do with being loaded down VOLTE uses very little bandwidth. It's only when you drop to 3G then your call drops since it doesn't fall back. Att this the only one with the benefit since they run hspa+ on B5 it can fall back to that. Even TMobile when you lose LTE will just fall back to 2G or no Signal or in big cities maybe H+.

If data is loaded down, where do you think the network will kick your call to!?

You guessed it, 1x...

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

This is a situation unique to Sprint (or any other carriers who are using CDMA for voice and both TD and FD LTE for data... of which I think Sprint is the only one)... early Sprint LTE phones that only had Band 25 (PCS) were able to do it.

The issue happened when the FD/TD-LTE phones were released, and from my understanding is that the antennas only have so many inputs/outputs -- TD-LTE takes an additional set of them over what FD takes -- so if Sprint wanted to have simultanious CDMA voice with TD-LTE data, they would need a completely separate airchain inside the phone to continue the data while the call is happening. That would mean very expensive custom phones -- so they just dropped the feature on the Tri Band devices until VoLTE happens, then it will be available with a single airchain.

As it sits now, the phone is always "camping" on LTE, TD or FD depending on what is available -- it gets it's signaling for incoming calls over the LTE, as well as texts... when the LTE network says a call or traditional text is coming in, the phone flashes over to CDMA to take the call or get the text (or if you make a call or send a text the phone does it itself)... in the case of calls, the effect is that you no longer have data. In the case of texts it happens so fast that you don't notice it, and the data connection is able to stay live most of the time -- although I have had some web sites or speed tests hang when a text comes in -- presumably because the data breaks for a fraction of a second.

This is all done very quickly... again, this is a Sprint-only problem since I don't think anyone else is using CDMA with both forms of LTE... the phone makers have no reason to add an entirely new antenna and inputs/outputs for it for a feature that is not always used and is only needed for Sprint. When it was just FD LTE they were able to do it... as for why it doesn't work when you are on FD but not TD, I'm pretty sure it's because they hard coded it that way... it's truly only an issue when your LTE is sitting on Band 41 -- but I can imagine they'd have more support calls and issues if it worked some of the time when you have Band 25 or 26 LTE but not when you have Band 41 LTE -- so they just set it to not connect to data while in a call regardless.

I imagine the phone could probably stop down to Band 25/26 LTE when you are in a call, even if you were on Band 41 -- but I also imagine that it would introduce the possibility for many more dropped calls in cases where you were camping on Band 41, a call comes in, it has to kick to CDMA and then re-negotiate data on Band 25/26 and then back to Band 41 when you hang up.

N

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    If data is loaded down, where do you think the network will kick your call to!?

You guessed it, 1x...
    That makes no since. What do you mean by, if the data is loaded down?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NGeorge View Post
    This is a situation unique to Sprint (or any other carriers who are using CDMA for voice and both TD and FD LTE for data... of which I think Sprint is the only one)... early Sprint LTE phones that only had Band 25 (PCS) were able to do it.

The issue happened when the FD/TD-LTE phones were released, and from my understanding is that the antennas only have so many inputs/outputs -- TD-LTE takes an additional set of them over what FD takes -- so if Sprint wanted to have simultanious CDMA voice with TD-LTE data, they would need a completely separate airchain inside the phone to continue the data while the call is happening. That would mean very expensive custom phones -- so they just dropped the feature on the Tri Band devices until VoLTE happens, then it will be available with a single airchain.

As it sits now, the phone is always "camping" on LTE, TD or FD depending on what is available -- it gets it's signaling for incoming calls over the LTE, as well as texts... when the LTE network says a call or traditional text is coming in, the phone flashes over to CDMA to take the call or get the text (or if you make a call or send a text the phone does it itself)... in the case of calls, the effect is that you no longer have data. In the case of texts it happens so fast that you don't notice it, and the data connection is able to stay live most of the time -- although I have had some web sites or speed tests hang when a text comes in -- presumably because the data breaks for a fraction of a second.

This is all done very quickly... again, this is a Sprint-only problem since I don't think anyone else is using CDMA with both forms of LTE... the phone makers have no reason to add an entirely new antenna and inputs/outputs for it for a feature that is not always used and is only needed for Sprint. When it was just FD LTE they were able to do it... as for why it doesn't work when you are on FD but not TD, I'm pretty sure it's because they hard coded it that way... it's truly only an issue when your LTE is sitting on Band 41 -- but I can imagine they'd have more support calls and issues if it worked some of the time when you have Band 25 or 26 LTE but not when you have Band 41 LTE -- so they just set it to not connect to data while in a call regardless.

I imagine the phone could probably stop down to Band 25/26 LTE when you are in a call, even if you were on Band 41 -- but I also imagine that it would introduce the possibility for many more dropped calls in cases where you were camping on Band 41, a call comes in, it has to kick to CDMA and then re-negotiate data on Band 25/26 and then back to Band 41 when you hang up.

N
    No FDD vs TDD has nothing to do withou with it. It's all about that VOLTE requires densification. Sprint network drops to 3G to much in the past. Most of their small cells are B41 which will be used for VOTE.

Device(s)
    HTC One M8
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    No FDD vs TDD has nothing to do withou with it. It's all about that VOLTE requires densification. Sprint network drops to 3G to much in the past. Most of their small cells are B41 which will be used for VOTE.

You are correct that the lack of density is the reason Sprint has not launched VoLTE... But lack of VoLTE has nothing to do with why Sprint phones have no data during calls. A FD-LTE data connection can exist while a voice call is being made over 1x CDMA through the same antenna. However, TD-LTE cannot co-exist with CDMA while a call is going on - - requiring either a second set of antenna i/o to make it happen, or VoLTE - - both of which Sprint do not have. Sprint's HD Voice uses 1x, so HTC One M7s and the final HTC Evo LTE were able to do HD Voice and have data at the same time with no VoLTE.

If you use a first gen HTC One M7 or earlier or Galaxy S4 or earlier that only had the single Band 25 FD-LTE, you could use calls and data at the same time on Sprint. This only stopped working once Sprint released Spark devices (HTC One M8/Galaxy S4 2nd revision and later) which had TD-LTE Band 41 capability.

There's an article I've read about this somewhere... Basically it was pay an absurd amount for custom phones with a second antenna set for during calls, or use the same models as everyone else and drop the feature...