Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone experience mms issue. Cannot receive some

Feedback Score

Anyone experience mms issue. Cannot receive some

Hi all

Recently, I have an mms issue, which I can send mms perfectly but cannot receive some, not all, just some mms. So, it is very difficult to figure it out what causes it.
    Moto g4, Galaxy note 5 and Galaxy amp prime (cricket brand) same problem.
    Moto g4 says “New message available for download”
    Note 5 and amp say message size 1kb

MMS is crucial for me for new work.
    Can iPhone be better? Or should I switch to another carrier, which I do not really want to do.
    Talked to cs but no help.
    Any idea?

Thank you.

Feedback Score
    The old "turn-it-off, turn-it-on" trick usually works with AT&T carriers in my experience. Typically, this happens to me after traveling someplace away from my local area. When I return home I still see that MMS messages aren't going through, so I go through the routine of turning off and turning on and every gets back to normal. Has been that way on various AT&T MVNOs and GoPhone for years.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint SERO, Framily, Freedompop GSM
    Feedback Score
    That's weird, CS walked you through the APN settings to make sure they are correct? MMS won't work if the APN isn't set correctly... truth be told, it wouldn't work at all if the APN settings are wrong, so if you're getting some but not others it might be something else.

Which ones do you get vs not? Is there a pattern to it? Say, messages from a certain number or messages that contain an image vs group text?

Personally, I also rely on my SMS/MMS for work since I run my own small business. If you want my advice, the smartest thing I did before switching to Cricket is port my number to Google Voice. Having access to my SMS/MMS in the cloud is PRICELESS. No matter what phone I'm using, the messages are always in sync. Even if I don't have service and operating entirely on wifi, or heck, I can even organize and respond from a web browser. I can't and won't go back to dealing with messaging tied to my carrier ever again!

The Google Voice app integrates with the Android dialer so all your outgoing calls come from your GV number, and all incoming calls are forwarded to your actual carrier number, so the whole experience is pretty much seamless. I only use my carrier SMS number for the occasional 2-step verification things and so that Cricket can send me billing alerts.

If messages are important to you, this is the best advice I have.
    Been gone a long time. Hello, HoFo- I'm BACK.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howardbory View Post

MMS is crucial for me for new work.
    Can iPhone be better?

Thank you.
    iPhone iMessage is very reliable between other iMessage users because it sends over wifi or cellular data. It's considered an over the top messaging app similar to hangouts. iMessage handles SMS/MMS seamlessly to android users but still relies on your carrier to send/receive.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwfreak View Post
    iPhone iMessage is very reliable between other iMessage users because it sends over wifi or cellular data. It's considered an over the top messaging app similar to hangouts. iMessage handles SMS/MMS seamlessly to android users but still relies on your carrier to send/receive.
    Right- but this is arguably not a solution because if his problem is with the carrier's implementation of MMS with his number, using imessage would only help for other iPhone users, and have the same problem with everyone else. But that's because you wouldn't actually be using SMS/MMS at all, and in that case why not just use a different IP messaging app, like Whatsapp (at least that one is cross-platform and not Apple only).
    The issue is that not everyone has whatsapp or iMessage, but every mobile number has SMS/MMS, so a solution is only really a solution if it can use that protocol to reach EVERYONE, not just a select few people.

That's why I still recommend Google Voice. You can port your mobile number to it, and get a new mobile number as a burner number for it to work "behind the scenes" (calls get routed over your real carrier number, all invisible to the user). Then your phone number's messages will all be over data / wifi instead of relying on the carrier, yet still be 100% compatible with real carrier SMS/MMS to everyone else. Its really the best option IMO.

Device(s)
    HP Veer
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular Fits You Best
    Feedback Score
    My MMS hasn't been downloading for the past few days. Tried airplane mode, rebooting, etc and that didn't help. Is there any way to swap a SIM online?
    More Bars in More Places.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+
    Feedback Score
    if MMS is a must for business reasons I would switch to at least GoPhone or ATT prepaid.
    Get $25 credit by switching to Cricket Wireless! Then $250 by referring others! Same AT&T signal! Click here!

Feedback Score
    Thank you guys.
    So I spoke with another cs that he performed reestablishing my connection to another cell tower or maybe refresh for exsiting tower.
    It seems ok for now. But will pay more attention.

For the issue, this is really random.
    Sometime, all is perfect and sometime I just DO NOT RECEIVE SOME MMS, not all but some. And happens on random senders.
    So it is why this gets me so much frustrated.

I see next a few days. And probably try iphone se since most my colleagues are using iphone. See how iMessage works.
    And nothing works, I may consider googole voice or att prepaid.

Thanks again guys

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dishe View Post
    That's weird, CS walked you through the APN settings to make sure they are correct? MMS won't work if the APN isn't set correctly... truth be told, it wouldn't work at all if the APN settings are wrong, so if you're getting some but not others it might be something else.

Which ones do you get vs not? Is there a pattern to it? Say, messages from a certain number or messages that contain an image vs group text?

Personally, I also rely on my SMS/MMS for work since I run my own small business. If you want my advice, the smartest thing I did before switching to Cricket is port my number to Google Voice. Having access to my SMS/MMS in the cloud is PRICELESS. No matter what phone I'm using, the messages are always in sync. Even if I don't have service and operating entirely on wifi, or heck, I can even organize and respond from a web browser. I can't and won't go back to dealing with messaging tied to my carrier ever again!

The Google Voice app integrates with the Android dialer so all your outgoing calls come from your GV number, and all incoming calls are forwarded to your actual carrier number, so the whole experience is pretty much seamless. I only use my carrier SMS number for the occasional 2-step verification things and so that Cricket can send me billing alerts.

If messages are important to you, this is the best advice I have.
    How well does the google voice handle mms for android?
    I think the refreshing tower did not do anything to fix my mms issue. Still having a problem receiving mms.
    Let me explain a little more.

Pic mms for one to one is fine.
    Video mms for one to one is fine.
    But in group chat, sometime not receiving text. Simple text, no pic or video.
    So bottom line, group chat, just simple text, is this ok for you in google voice?

Thank you.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Are you by any chance on the old Green SIM cards? When MMS doesn't work, do you also miss incoming phone calls? I've noticed that my older SIMs got a little unpredictable around the same time we got upgraded to the new AT&T servers. I think they aren't recognized with the same preferred roaming list or something to the towers. If so, maybe try a white sim?

Feedback Score
    Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Are you by any chance on the old Green SIM cards? When MMS doesn't work, do you also miss incoming phone calls? I've noticed that my older SIMs got a little unpredictable around the same time we got upgraded to the new AT&T servers. I think they aren't recognized with the same preferred roaming list or something to the towers. If so, maybe try a white sim?
    White sim.
    Picture or video mms for one to one is perfect. No issue here.
    In group chat, even simple text when only receiving it is problem.
    My group rarely send out pics or videos. So big issue is simple character text.

You got me thinking this mms problem has been an issue to me since my line was upgraded to 4gb and new att server thing.
    I may try to use new sim and see how it goes.
    Thanks and give you guys update.

Device(s)
    So many.
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by howardbory View Post
    White sim.
    Picture or video mms for one to one is perfect. No issue here.
    In group chat, even simple text when only receiving it is problem.
    My group rarely send out pics or videos. So big issue is simple character text.

You got me thinking this mms problem has been an issue to me since my line was upgraded to 4gb and new att server thing.
    I may try to use new sim and see how it goes.
    Thanks and give you guys update.
    Weird- the white sim was never on the old Jasper servers, I think. Are you sure it isn't the older green ones (white with green stripe that says cricket)?

Feedback Score
    Weird- the white sim was never on the old Jasper servers, I think. Are you sure it isn't the older green ones (white with green stripe that says cricket)?
    White sim. Only green is on “k”.

Feedback Score
    I always had MMS either come days later or not at all when I was using Cricket (which was until a few months ago). It didn't bother me a huge amount since I seemed to be sending only 5 or 6 MMS's per year.
    This is a number sign: #
    This is a pound sign: £
    This is an asterisk: * (There is no such symbol as an asterick)
    This is a checkbox: ☑ (It is not a tick. A tick is the sound a clock makes. a bug, or a superhero)

Device(s)
    iPhone 6, iPhone 5s,
    Feedback Score
    Right- but this is arguably not a solution because if his problem is with the carrier's implementation of MMS with his number, using imessage would only help for other iPhone users, and have the same problem with everyone else. But that's because you wouldn't actually be using SMS/MMS at all, and in that case why not just use a different IP messaging app, like Whatsapp (at least that one is cross-platform and not Apple only).
    The issue is that not everyone has whatsapp or iMessage, but every mobile number has SMS/MMS, so a solution is only really a solution if it can use that protocol to reach EVERYONE, not just a select few people.

That's why I still recommend Google Voice. You can port your mobile number to it, and get a new mobile number as a burner number for it to work "behind the scenes" (calls get routed over your real carrier number, all invisible to the user). Then your phone number's messages will all be over data / wifi instead of relying on the carrier, yet still be 100% compatible with real carrier SMS/MMS to everyone else. Its really the best option IMO.
    What message app do you use with google voice to avoid mms/sms problems with cricket?

Can you explain how sending mms/sms works with google voice? When you send message how does it convert to mms/sms? Is it converted by the device or by google servers?

I was always curious how imessage converts messages to sms/mms and if they are sent from the device or apple servers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast