Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something seriously wrong with data speed in N. California

Feedback Score

Something seriously wrong with data speed in N. California

My gf has been complaining of slow or no data on her post paid At&t line running on her Moto E phone these past few months. She loaded speedtest.net and it's showing 1.7 down..wtf?? Another test showed the same. I tested a line on Mint and got 20mbps and my MetroPCS phone showed 75mbps! I'm in Sacramento. At&t has always been a bit on the slow side, but this is ridiculous. Calling c/s was a waste of time...clueless. It's looking like Metro is going to get a new customer.

Feedback Score
    I've found T-Mobile to be faster than AT&T (and Verizon and Sprint) almost always. And it does seem that ATT has gotten slower lately. Maybe congestion?

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is she by any chance on the Unlimited Choice plan? I ask because it's capped at 3 Mbps and many aren't warned about that when they switch to "unlimited."

AT&T in Northern California is generally pretty strong, but like all carriers they have slow congested spots here and there, especially since AT&T doesn't like building new towers as much as Verizon and T-Mobile... they'd rather keep adding LTE bands. But she should be getting faster speeds at other times/locations assuming she's not on that slow unlimited plan.
    Carriers I've used: Sprint, T-Mobile, Cricket, AT&T, Verizon, Page Plus, Virgin Mobile, Movistar, AT&T Mexico, Telcel, Straight Talk, RingPlus.
    Phones I've used: iPhone 6S, iPhone 5c, HTC One M9, Samsung Galaxy S3, LG G2, BlackBerry Storm, Nokia 820, Motorola Atrix HD, iPhone 4S, HTC One V, iPhone 4, Nokia Lumia 900, Nokia N9, Samsung Focus, Samsung Captivate, Nokia N900, HTC 8525, iPhone 3GS, iPhone, Nokia E61i, Siemens A56...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    Is she by any chance on the Unlimited Choice plan? I ask because it's capped at 3 Mbps and many aren't warned about that when they switch to "unlimited."

AT&T in Northern California is generally pretty strong, but like all carriers they have slow congested spots here and there, especially since AT&T doesn't like building new towers as much as Verizon and T-Mobile... they'd rather keep adding LTE bands. But she should be getting faster speeds at other times/locations assuming she's not on that slow unlimited plan.
    Strong? Lets be real as much as i love At&t is not deff the fastest here in California. I am in los angeles . i have friends on boost and metro getting faster speeds than me on at&t they be getting up to 50 mbps while max i get on at&t are 5-10 on my new s8 plus . Instead of adding more lte bands they should get more antenna's up an running. And add more back haul .
    Last edited by omarc443; 07-08-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Feedback Score
    I've definitely pulled better speeds on Att than Tmobile. You might have possible congestion.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S7, Motorola Moto G LTE, Samsung Rugby Smart Nokia 6010
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I was just out in the Auburn-Grass Valley area for a family visit. Had terrible connections. Too many spots with no connection at all. Looking at tower locations in that area, i should have had fairly good data speeds, but usually had less than 1 Mb down. At my cousins house i had to walk to the end of the driveway just to check email and texts. The one phone call i got dropped after a couple of seconds.
    I know it is hilly and there would be some areas of low signal, but no signal in most areas was a surprise.
    My cousin says most of her family and friend's are on Verizon, as the have much superior coverage.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Matte Black
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!!
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Volaris View Post
    AT&T doesn't like building new towers as much as Verizon and T-Mobile... they'd rather keep adding LTE bands.
    This probably would have been my number one complaint when I was with AT&T.

They seem to want to do the minimum to get by. In other words having a supreme network and bragging rights is not in AT&T DNA.

They're happy to just let you know what it is you can do on their network, but not how great the actual network is itself.

Like another poster mentioned, make sure she is not on the slower unlimited plan.
    In a world full of Droids, I'm a shiny Apple.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    This probably would have been my number one complaint when I was with AT&T.

They seem to want to do the minimum to get by. In other words having a supreme network and bragging rights is not in AT&T DNA.

They're happy to just let you know what it is you can do on their network, but not how great the actual network is itself.

Like another poster mentioned, make sure she is not on the slower unlimited plan.
    "Good enough" is their M.O. They're more interested in having a polished customer experience than the network being exceptionally good.

I spent years on and off with them and having anything related to the network improve has been like banging my head against a brick wall. Especially adding new sites even though they've desperately needed them for half a decade or more.

Feedback Score
    Hopefully the firstnet deal changes that

cell phone guru

Device(s)
    V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Moto E lacks band 30- which is key to ATT's LTE capacity. She might want to give a new phone a try.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by IanM View Post
    The Moto E lacks band 30- which is key to ATT's LTE capacity. She might want to give a new phone a try.
    B30 is so congested these days it would be a blessing to NOT have it.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 128GB (Verizon Version) on Cricket
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint & Cricket
    Feedback Score

Something seriously wrong with data speed in N. California

I also been getting slow speeds with my iPhone 7 plus.
    Specially in the evening, Im always turning off LTE.
    SF Bay Area(Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Cell View Post
    I also been getting slow speeds with my iPhone 7 plus.
    Specially in the evening, Im always turning off LTE.
    SF Bay Area(Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Redwood City)
    Dang, I'm in the same area and I was going to switch one line to AT&T...not very eager to read this, but appreciate the info nonetheless

-Collin-

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1499748620.604992.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  39.1 KB
    Yup AT&T has definitely been slow these last couple of days...Screenshot from this morning by the way

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus Factory Unlocked
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by omarc443 View Post
    Strong? Lets be real as much as i love At&t is not deff the fastest here in California. I am in los angeles . i have friends on boost and metro getting faster speeds than me on at&t they be getting up to 50 mbps while max i get on at&t are 5-10 on my new s8 plus . Instead of adding more lte bands they should get more antenna's up an running. And add more back haul .
    Maybe in Los Angeles but up here in the Technopolis of the US I haven't experience any slow downs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast