Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Google Play Protect

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score

Google Play Protect

A forum I read very regularity had a post that referenced this link...
    https://researchcenter.paloaltonetwo...pying-40-apps/

The above article said this...
    "We have reported information on this threat to Google, and they have created protections through Google Play Protect."

Here is the link to Google Play Protect... https://www.android.com/play-protect/

I think this https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2812853 says Nougat 7.x and up, but no clue really?

I may be dumping our LG L33 and going BYOD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4HItHVUngI

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C8H10N4O2 View Post
    I think this https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/2812853 says Nougat 7.x and up, but no clue really?
    That link above says you can go into the Menu of Google Play Store app on your device to see the status of Google Play Protect. My Phoenix 2 runs Nougat 7.0 and there's nothing about Google Play Protect in the Menu.

THIS LINK says "What’s more important is the fact that Google Play Protect runs on every single device that has Google Play installed on it". I don't see anything about it on my Phoenix 2.

Device(s)
    ZTE Axon 7 mini
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (BYOP AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I have Nougat on my BYOP device and don't have Google Play Protect on my Play Store menu. I don't think it is anything to worry about either way.

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I have installed the "Find My Device" app that says, "by Google Play Protect", "Requires Android 4.0 and up".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.apps.adm
    "Introducing Find My Device - the new and improved Android Device Manager. Find My Device helps you easily locate a lost Android device, and keeps your information safe and sound while you look."

And also not in my Settings.

Feedback Score
    Installing the Find My Device app is unnecessary unless you want to help locate a phone other than the one you've misplaced.

What everyone should try is from a web browser go to
    https://www.google.com/android/find
    and select a phone that you have possession of, then select the RING option to make your phone ring loudly - as if you have lost it and are trying locate it. Once the phone starts ringing, pressing any key on it should stop the ringing. Of course this only works if the phone has data or WiFi on and connected, and the phone location can only be given if the phone's location setting is turned on.

You can help someone else locate their Android by having them log into their Google account and going to the above link This can be done from your phone or any device browser. The Find My Device app basically does what the web link can do - so why bother with the app

I have installed the "Find My Device" app that says, "by Google Play Protect", "Requires Android 4.0 and up".

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid.apps.adm
    "Introducing Find My Device - the new and improved Android Device Manager. Find My Device helps you easily locate a lost Android device, and keeps your information safe and sound while you look."

And also not in my Settings.

Feedback Score
    Something to keep in mind is that if the phone has data and WiFi off but has cell signal available and ringer on, then calling it will make it ring even if the locator link RING option doesn't make it ring .

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Installing the Find My Device app is unnecessary unless you want to help locate a phone other than the one you've misplaced.
    Yes, I know that, I was just trying to show that it said, "by Google Play Protect"... but did not do that very well.

Feedback Score
    You can still post a screeshot if you like .. .

I posted also for the benefit of others because it's not really clear how this all works unless you've gone through it and it's good to know that you can use these methods to try and find your Android.

Yes, I know that, I was just trying to show that it said, "by Google Play Protect"... but did not do that very well.

Device(s)
    LG Phoenix 2, LG L41C
    Carrier(s)
    TF/AT&T, TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Of course this only works if the phone has data or WiFi on and connected, and the phone location can only be given if the phone's location setting is turned on.
    I keep Location, Data, Wifi on my phone turned off unless I'm using them. Those apps to locate/lock a lost device are of no use to me.

Device(s)
    Moto G1, Moto E2, LG Volt
    Carrier(s)
    Page Plus Cellular, Freedompop
    Feedback Score
    Of course this only works if the phone has data or WiFi on and connected, and the phone location can only be given if the phone's location setting is turned on.
    If your phone is connected through cellular data, you also need background data for Google Play Services turned on.

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    I have DATA off...

Name:  G-find-phone1.png
Views: 209
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  G-find-phone2.png
Views: 212
Size:  63.1 KB

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Far as I can tell by reading around, Google Play Protect may primarily do what was previously done in the background. Although I'm on the July 5, 2017 security patch and Play Store 7.9, it doesn't show up on my phone at this time. I suppose that could be due to the Play Store indicating uncertified, but I can't find anything that might suggest passing SafetyNet is required for Play Protect. Does anyone actually see Play Protect in their Play Store app? I haven't found customers reporting that Play Protect shows up on their phones, so I have to wonder if it's actually enabled for the Play Store version on my phone.

I have DATA off...
    It looks like you're on wifi, and I'll guess you have the relevant Google Activity controls on. I connect to wifi, but since I have my activity controls off the account just indicates that the phone was last accessed in 2016. It's sort of crazy how much information appears on an account when activity controls are on their default settings. I'm not sure which is the relevant one, but when device information was on, my account seemed to have a record of every time Tasker changed a setting on my phone. Google going as far as sending and tracking phone setting changes seems a bit excessive in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Maybe they haven't rolled out the version of Play Store app that contains Google Play Protect in the menu yet since since nobody here has seen it
    https://www.blog.google/products/and...-play-protect/

Device(s)
    TF L33L
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone (on AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    What still has me confused... is it a separate app or just an update to the Play Store app or is it just the name of the Google group of apps/services they call Google Play Protect or ????

Feedback Score
    I don't think it's a separate app - it appears to be a service which includes the new Play Store app we apparently don't have yet since we can't find the Play Protect menu option so far.

What still has me confused... is it a separate app or just an update to the Play Store app or is it just the name of the Google group of apps/services they call Google Play Protect or ????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast