Thread: E911 & VoLTE

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score

E911 & VoLTE

Hello HoFo!

Unfortunately tonight I had to make a call to 911 to report a drunk driver in Union County. I noticed while on the call my phone maintained a VoLTE connection.

In November of last year, while driving down to Philadelphia, I had to make a 911 call to report the same thing. This was in the Princeton/Trenton area, along US 1 S., and my phone IMMEDIATELY dropped to 1x at that time despite VoLTE being enabled, and did not allow me to access EVDO data for a few minutes after the call. I had to manually toggle to get LTE back.

My question is, for those of you that have had to use 911 service on a Verizon VoLTE enabled phone, what area were you in, what tech did the call go over, and around what time was it? As far as I can tell from my (thankfully) limited experience having to cal 911 , E911 over VoLTE on Verizon is a new thing. Any and all info is appreciated, thank you!
    Drexel University 1Gbps Fiber

Verizon 3x Carrier Aggregation @ 90 MHz, Unlimited

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrizz96 View Post
    Hello HoFo!

Unfortunately tonight I had to make a call to 911 to report a drunk driver in Union County. I noticed while on the call my phone maintained a VoLTE connection.

In November of last year, while driving down to Philadelphia, I had to make a 911 call to report the same thing. This was in the Princeton/Trenton area, along US 1 S., and my phone IMMEDIATELY dropped to 1x at that time despite VoLTE being enabled, and did not allow me to access EVDO data for a few minutes after the call. I had to manually toggle to get LTE back.

My question is, for those of you that have had to use 911 service on a Verizon VoLTE enabled phone, what area were you in, what tech did the call go over, and around what time was it? As far as I can tell from my (thankfully) limited experience having to cal 911 , E911 over VoLTE on Verizon is a new thing. Any and all info is appreciated, thank you!
    Every time Iv had to call 911 I was to busy watching the problem in action. Last time was a drunk driver who hit the end of a guard rail on a bridge and went flying in the air. She was arrested as soon as they got her pulled from the car.

Device(s)
    IPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Who really cares what tech was used as long as someone answers when you call 911?

Please don't go around testing this with your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score

E911 & VoLTE

I haven't called 911 since I had my old Motorola StarTAC back in the late 90s. So yeah, it was on 1X! I know a friend of mine called 911 from a Verizon Android phone with VoLTE a few months back and it locked the phone out from doing anything else for like 10 minutes afterwards and she was pretty hot about it.

I gave her my advice, never dial 911!

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Galaxy S7E
    Carrier(s)
    VZW UNLTD, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jtludwig View Post
    Who really cares what tech was used as long as someone answers when you call 911?

Please don't go around testing this with your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In no way shape or form am I encouraging people to call 911 to test this! Where did you get that idea?

There are many areas of the country where Verizon has densified with LTE only small cells and macros, and it's not hard to imagine that in these areas VoLTE would be more reliable then 1x calling, provide more accurate location info to 911 operators, & allow the caller to access data services that could provide critical info.

Carrier(s)
    Ma bell and tmobile
    Feedback Score
    I tested it six times yesterday and four times this morning. This jail WiFi is kind of slow 😉

A friend called on his verizon phone a few weeks ago after a lady spun out and went into a ditch. Even with volte his phone def dropped to 1x and this was in FL. Thankfully I haven't had to call for anything in a while

that ain't me I'm from Buffalo
    Sent from my windows phone

Feedback Score
    @clonehappy
    Wow that seems very inconvenient why would it be a good idea to lock down the phone?

The only thing's i've seen phones do before (many allow editing of the "emergency" number) is if you call the emergency number it kicks the radio into search mode instead of just claiming no service, and plays a special sound.

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Along those lines, doesn't calling 911 cause the phone to connect to the closest, strongest, tower, without any regard to carrier?

Device(s)
    A bunch
    Carrier(s)
    Most of them
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sims View Post
    @clonehappy
    Wow that seems very inconvenient why would it be a good idea to lock down the phone?

The only thing's i've seen phones do before (many allow editing of the "emergency" number) is if you call the emergency number it kicks the radio into search mode instead of just claiming no service, and plays a special sound.
    I have no idea, she said it showed something like emergency mode and had a timer counting down until the phone could be used again. It was an LG G-something or other (I don't know exactly which one 4 or 5 I think).

This is one more reason I never call 911 or use Android!

Device(s)
    Galaxy S7 edge (SM-G935A), GNote 4 (SM-N910A), OnePlus One (US Edition)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Current), VZW (2014), Boost Mobile (2010)
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I'm with AT&T and I've had to make a call to 911 within the past year, and my call went over LTE and data was accessible.

The premise behind VoLTE is that all voice data transmits over the LTE network, and that *should* include E911. However, maybe location reporting over VoLTE hasn't been addressed, and Verizon's network kicks down to 1X to ensure location data is available.

Sent from my Tramp-Stamped SM-G935A
    Quote Originally Posted by WishIWasHer View Post
    CSD was rarely used, and was before they started referring to cell phone technology in G's. This G stuff really started with 3G coverage and its because the 2nd iPhone was called the iPhone 3G. That's where cell phone tech got the G's from. The G stands for Gigs and the number is the number of Gigs the signal is.
    Quote Originally Posted by XFF View Post
    Oh boy....
    Quote Originally Posted by AttData View Post
    My thoughts exactly...

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
    Along those lines, doesn't calling 911 cause the phone to connect to the closest, strongest, tower, without any regard to carrier?
    No. The phone will always try and connect to a native cell site in order to provide Phase II information and not an NSI phone (non subscriber) so they can call back if they need to. Only as a last resort will a phone try another carrier.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7, Galaxy S8
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I had to call regarding an accident a few months ago and I think it maintained VoLTE but they didn't receive location information so I pulled up google maps (very rural area) and was able to give it to them.

The only other time I've had to call was because my neighbor was outside needing help, and I just used my landline which worked as expected.

Feedback Score
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742536.637714.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  71.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742544.935602.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  81.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742558.336895.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  66.4 KB this happened in front of me today as I was waiting to cross the street. Can confirm phone stayed on LTE while calling 911.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fgpalm View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742536.637714.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  71.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742544.935602.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  81.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByHoFo1500742558.336895.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  66.4 KB this happened in front of me today as I was waiting to cross the street. Can confirm phone stayed on LTE while calling 911.
    Hate when the wheel falls off. Everybody OK?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by techfranz View Post
    Hate when the wheel falls off. Everybody OK?
    The wheel bounced down the street a few hundred feet and bounced over a BMW and struck a trashcan. The trashcan was the only fatality .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast